Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark...............

Originally posted by Mark 72@E View Post
    These pics aren't as exciting as George's, but here's Mr. Kim Birmingham's ASH from 1973 at Portsmouth VA. Is this a Sid-Craft or a Sid-Son?

Kim was an experienced driver by the time I started racing ASH in 1973 even though we were about the same age. Typically he and this boat were always in front of me.

Once we were exiting a turn and I was just behind him to his outside. He looked over his shoulder, saw me, and bumped his right hip against the cockpit just hard enough to shower me with his roostertail. Fun times for a rookie...
    I was at this race running against you guys! Ugh. Talk about showing our age!

Matt

Comment

Lynn Midgett's ASH is coming

Originally posted by mr2boats View Post
      I know Gary Pond has got to have some pics of his old racing partner Lynn Midgets A Hydro with the Merc on it.
      Wow guys we are telling our age just a little.
      Tim Lee
      I've also got pictures of Lynn Midgett's ASH "Ole Folks" from 1973 -- just his boat, not of him. I think it was at the Elizabeth City, NC race. I don't have many photos from back then but I'll get them all scanned eventually.
      @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
      72@E
      Former Boat Racer
      21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
      20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Hobart - 1964 ASH

To All KG-4 Affectionatos:

Here is a picture of myself in 1964 in a Karelsen ASH. I won many races with this boat.

I still have this motor. Serial number 506879, square hole case.

Four records were set with this motor... three on the 1-2/3 course and one for the kilo straightaway.

1979 for the last 1-2/3 record: 55.215 mph average. Lawrence Lake, Yelm

1974 for the kilo straightaway: 60.884 mph. Modesto, CA.

Last edited by DeanFHobart; 09-16-2010, 11:56 AM.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post
          To All KG-4 Affectionatos:

Here is a picture of myself in 1964 in a Karelsen ASH. I won many races with this boat.

I still have this motor. Serial number 506879, square hole case.

Four records were set with this motor... three on the 1-2/3 course and one for the kilo straightaway.

1979 for the last 1-2/3 record: 55.215 mph average. Lawrence Lake, Yelm

1974 for the kilo straightaway: 60.884 mph. Modesto, CA.

Nice picture Dean,How high on the transom did you run the engine for oval compitition.
          Bob

Comment

How High ?

KG-4 Bob,

This picture is 1964 and I had not learned to run the motor high for competition records. The later boats that I built had narrower bottom widths which worked better for high set-ups.

For 1-2/3 record courses the transom height was about 18" and the prop shaft was about 1" above the bottom of the boat. I used a 25 SS style of gear foot with the water pick up on the bottom of the bullet... I called them
            "scoop skeg" style of water pick up.

The last 1-2/3 record was set with a 3 blade prop built by R.Allen "Poppa" Smith.

For a kilo run, a little higher than that. With a 2 blade R.Allen "Poppa" Smith prop.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Thanks for the info Dean,Since my son had no interest in running J i have since sold the omc and i am in the process of fitting the K Craft hydro with my KG4.The first thing i noticed is the transom was too high and the gearcase bullet was hitting the bottom of the boat.The transom actually has two pieces and the part that the engine clamps too was bolted on the inside of the perminent part of the transom so i unbolted it and am in the process of putting it on the outside of the perminent transom so i have some up and down adjustment and the gearcase will be a little further from the bottom.I will post a few pictures of what im doing.I think the hydro should run pretty good with the KG4 its very light.Thanks again.
              Bob

Comment

You can see in this picture with the KG7 on it how high it was and the gearcase was touching the bottom of the boat.This was just set up for a show.
                Attached Files
                Bob

Comment

R. Allen Props

Dean: R. Allen made every prop we owned from 1957 through 1963 time frame. He was the best. In 1962 he made us a prop for the Hot Rod to compete against the merc 20H with the conversion kit and his note to my father read "see if this don't run like a scared rabbit". He was right as I won many BSH races against the likes of Bill Giles, Bob Henry, bob O'Connor and others. The hot rod engine was so quiet that the guys nick named me "The Blue Ghost" - no one could hear me coming. Boy did I p--- off lots of merc guys when I blew them off. The hot rod wasn't supposed to do that. The prop was the first and only one Allen made for us. Brings back some great memories.

Sincerely,
                  Don Graham

Comment

Old ASH 70's

Back when we raced in Bays! Remember Matt D. & George S.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Hydroglobe17J; 12-21-2008, 01:42 PM. Reason: Picture
                    Earl 11 J........ Dangerous when Wet Runne Craft- Earl said, " Driving a Runne Craft is like Cheating". Dude, ........ Where's My Boat!

Comment

Originally posted by STEVE FRENCH View Post

Very cool times!

There are books out on the history of outboard motors and the big hydros......anything on the kneel down classes?......would be cool to have some book that you could find each years history and how the kneeler's have evolved.

Looks like George could fill several chapters............

19P
                      Here's one book on E-Bay
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...1%7C240%3A1318

19P
                      100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Bob Rhoades

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                        Dean: R. Allen made every prop we owned from 1957 through 1963 time frame. He was the best. In 1962 he made us a prop for the Hot Rod to compete against the merc 20H with the conversion kit and his note to my father read "see if this don't run like a scared rabbit". He was right as I won many BSH races against the likes of Bill Giles, Bob Henry, bob O'Connor and others. The hot rod engine was so quiet that the guys nick named me "The Blue Ghost" - no one could hear me coming. Boy did I p--- off lots of merc guys when I blew them off. The hot rod wasn't supposed to do that. The prop was the first and only one Allen made for us. Brings back some great memories.

Sincerely,
                        Don Graham
                        Don,

I still talk to Bob Rhoades. He lived near you when he was in the Air Force.

He went to some races with you and your dad.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Not the "A" class but

KGMod hydro
                          1- KG4 with a 20H bowl & 1- KG4 with a pipe

2 KG4's with 20H bowls
                          Attached Files
                          Brian 10s

Comment

Awesome pictures Brian.Thanks for sharing them
                            Bob

Comment

Bob Rhoades

Dean: Great memory and reminder. Sometime when you have the opportunity please let Bob Rhoades know that I'm alive and kicking. That was during the 60's. Guess I'm dating myself now with that comment. Let Bob know that he can reach me via email: dgsecsvcs@aol.com or telephone: 352-726-2904 - Home/FL. Thanks for the great thought. Happy new year to you -2009. Let's hope this one is healthy, happy and prosperous to all.

Sincerely,
                              Don Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
                                I was at this race running against you guys! Ugh. Talk about showing our age!

Matt
                                I wouldn't be surprised if I were running there also, I feel old

Dave
                                I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
                                The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

Working...
                                X