X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afterplane

I am trying to collect some data:

1. afterplanes on CSH.

2. transom angles on CSH and inset if any.

Thanks
    Dan
    Last edited by drbyrne55; 12-03-2008, 10:50 PM.
    BOPP

The new MJR I am building has a 18 degree transom angle.
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

i "suspect" the mjr after plane is "around" 70 (+2) inches and overall boat length is around 10 feet (+5) and air trap width is 36 inches?
      Last edited by drbyrne55; 12-02-2008, 11:44 PM. Reason: I was told I was not correct ...... :)
      BOPP

Comment

specs

close but not correct....

Comment

Originally posted by drbyrne55 View Post
          i suspect the mjr after plane is around 70 inches and overall boat length is around 10 feet and air trap width is 36 inches?
          Add a couple of inches to the afterplane, 70 inches with a C is a little short you will have trouble cornering

Comment

Thanks ....

Hope your dad is working on my props
            Last edited by drbyrne55; 12-03-2008, 10:54 PM.
            BOPP

Comment

Originally posted by STEVE FRENCH
              Just take some time to study the frontal area and afterplane of yer Altralite to any wood boats......there are reasons why they are different......just grab the front of each and "LIFT" for a "CLUE" why...........

One reason why I'm curious to see how the new mold boats handle..........any prototypes tested in composit form?

My C-Pavlik is 69" afterplane and about 120lbs ......with alot of sponson area and a S bottom in front........
              The Altralites are long afterplane, narrow sponsons, gradual "lift" up front.

19P
              Thanks Steve,

Yes, our Altralite seems to be a copy of our Hemp running surface except lighter; Sam's design actually has more deck lift .... .... both seem to work, although the drivers report preference to the Hemp in the corner.

The prototype was a great OSY boat RJ West ran a few years back .... very light set up and he liked it's handling and was fast/ AP about 70. For the CSH and 100 + pounds, I'm going to alter it's air-trap width and lengthen the A/P and utilize the chine and sponson for mounting the multi-location turn fin bracket at an equivalent A/P of 71.5 inches that can be moved either way 2 inches.
              Last edited by drbyrne55; 12-03-2008, 10:55 PM.
              BOPP

Comment

Dimensions

Sid - B Zoats - GP - Flyer - Hemp - Arlt - Pugh - MJR - O'Connor - Jacoby

Lots of combinations of transom angles, afterplanes, lifts, steps, tunnels, materials,

There are any number of reasons why someone might like one boat over another. The cock pit comfort might get someone. Fin angle or straightness. Bottom flatness.

A driver that does alot of testing and gets a set up for his or her prefferred design will make most anything work.

I do not believe that there is a singular critical dimension they all work in concert but the biggest factor of all is the drivers head. If the driver is comfortable and thinks its good it is faster........

The Arltralte was designed with what we belived would be diimensions that many people would be able to get comfortable driving. It was intended to be conservative. Not too much lift, a fairly long bottom to allow the driver get around without having to move alot in the boat. The success of the design was measured by the people that preffered it over their old boat. Which is really the only measure of success that counts. (Which somtines is tainted by a consumer that wants to belive his money was well spent)

Two screaming starts and horsepower at the Nationals will make more differnce than your transom angle or dash location or what color sneakers you are wearing.
                Last edited by reed28n; 12-03-2008, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I noticed at the races this year in some of the bigger classes that some of the boats had a row of two or three turn fins. What is the advantage of this set up and are they allowed in the smaller stock classes ( CSH, 20 SSH etc).

I would also like to add that I believe Mr Reed is correct, that a perfect flying start, the right set up and the big one, Confidence in you boat and equipment is a great equalizer at any race.

Comment

Mike

the bigger and heavier the boat the more turn fin required to hold it in the corners. You're not going to need that in your CSH
                    Sean Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by STEVE FRENCH
                      Just take some time to study the frontal area and afterplane of yer Altralite to any wood boats......there are reasons why they are different......just grab the front of each and "LIFT" for a "CLUE" why...........

One reason why I'm curious to see how the new mold boats handle..........any prototypes tested in composit form?

My C-Pavlik is 69" afterplane and about 120lbs ......with alot of sponson area and a S bottom in front........
                      The Altralites are long afterplane, narrow sponsons, gradual "lift" up front.

19P
                      Steve, although this is not the "exact" boat, the REV OSY400 and REV CSH should carry in a similar way, be slightly faster and corner amazingly well.

If you are interested I can arrange crated shipping
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by drbyrne55; 12-03-2008, 05:14 PM.
                      BOPP

Comment

Originally posted by seanp3 View Post
                        Mike

the bigger and heavier the boat the more turn fin required to hold it in the corners. You're not going to need that in your CSH
                        Rephrase, The bigger classes use a combo of three skid fins in line of varying sizes. There must be a reason for this instead of just using one bigger fin like a limited or unlimited hydroplane?

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                          Rephrase, The bigger classes use a combo of three skid fins in line of varying sizes. There must be a reason for this instead of just using one bigger fin like a limited or unlimited hydroplane?
                          If you are referring to a rear tracking "fin" as you see on D and E's; I believe sometimes depending on set ups, those boat have more relative dynamics on the stern to break the rear loose and a rear 'fin" helps stabilize ..... some CSH do the same.
                          Last edited by drbyrne55; 12-03-2008, 01:37 PM.
                          BOPP

Comment

Bummer

[QUOTE=STEVE FRENCH;119390]Unfortunately it looks like time to have the knees replaced.....I was hope'n for one more season before .....but a slip on basement stairs with 202 powerhead in hands and a incorrect land'n with my less-junk knee two weeks ago seems to have sealed the inevatable.........
                            I'll know more after MRI's are done on both and if partial replacements are still an option that will allow enough range of motion....total replacements will not allow kneel down race'n and not sure if I want to start over in a laydown
                            Wait'n on payment on one Altralite and other is promised if drive'n is over.....
                            Will keep A-MOD stuff in case lakeplay in one of my old rigs converted to laydown is a option.

Good luck next year.....looks like the current APBA/OSY-400 record is about to fall.....

Sorry to hear about the slip; knee replacement is generally a great outcome!. Maybe you can have a driver take over your rigs and you man the beach .... I have tons of fun in the pits!

If you want us to test your 202 let us know
                            BOPP

Comment

Working...
                            X