Tori Chew on Boat Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tori Chew on Boat Racing

As many of you may know, Tori Chew (Beth Hearn Chew's daughter) and Grant Hearn (Richard's son) both took their first boat rides at Dayton this year. Grandmother commented that every Hearn kid has started racing at Dayton, at the time.

Recently, Tori wrote an English paper about the event. Here is the text:

Victoria Chew 11/29/08

Boat Racing

When you race all you can feel is your adrenalin pumping through your body. Feeling like your going to throw up your guts. You have a pit in your stomach when you try to think about it. “Go fast, turn left” is the whole key to racing.

All day I’ve been watching my uncle race. I even helped him set up the motor. My family has been trying to get me to race since I was nine. I said “no” to him all the time. It is a family tradition to race. My mom, two uncles, Grandpop, and Dad raced. I flew to Ohio just to see my friends and family race. My uncle and I were getting ready to go clean up for dinner.

All of the sudden, I hear pounding on the door. I opened it up and it was Uncle Ed. “Get down here and go put Joel’s kevlar on,” he said. Then I knew I had to get my game face on and go test a boat. There was a whole bunch of friends gathered around to watch. It was a big deal because not only was I testing but my cousin was also. Everyone was saying that this is the day that little Beth and Richard come back to racing! I got the boat on a plane right away and everyone was proud. My uncle told me to go back to the pits because I did three laps. When I got out of the boat, he said with a smile on his face, “tomorrow your racing!”

My uncle woke me up at 6am because I had to attend a drivers meeting. I was SO not awake! The only good thing about that was getting donuts and coffee. My uncle told me and my cousin Grant to go wash our boats. He hooked up the motors so they were ready for racing. My uncle forgot to tell us we weren’t racing till 3 which made me mad because I had a stomach ache all day! My uncle wanted me to watch him mill when he went racing. He milled until the clock hit 30seconds. Then he started coming down for the start. I was sitting there still panicing all day. My adrenalin was pumping so fast, I was scared to blow over. My uncle told me to get on my kevlar but it was so hot out! I started pulling the boat down to the water. I was very scared but after two heats of six laps, it’s not so bad. I got 5th place and my cousin got 4th place. After racing I went to the motor home to shower up for the banquet. The banquet was so fun!! Spending time with all the fellow boat racers was fun. There were tons of karaoke and dancing. There were awards and I got recognized for getting on a plane right away. I also ate some great racers cake too.

This was very important to me because it is a family tradition. I like to put smiles on my family’s face by making them proud. Boat racing means everything to my family. Once my uncle and my mom retired this sport, no one every re-placed them unitl now. I hope to get in the Hall of Champions like my mom did when she was my age. My cousins and I both hope to become great racers like our parents. I hope this tradition carries through my family.
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Cool Ed glad you got them in a boat and seems like they will be back this year, see you and your Dad at the National Meeting.
    Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Tori,

You did a great job on your paper! It brought tears to my eyes. I know your family is very proud of you and equally as excited to have you race. What I think is more important is that you enjoy it and have fun. I wish I were there for your first race, but I know there are many more to come. I promise I'll be in the front row the day you get inducted to the Hall of Champions and will be one of the loudest in the room when they call your name.

See you in Indy next month!

Heather

Comment

Nice essay..............

Originally posted by 14-H View Post
        . I hope to get in the Hall of Champions like my mom did when she was my age. My cousins and I both hope to become great racers like our parents. I hope this tradition carries through my family. [/I]
        Val and I got to watch the kids at Dayton venture out into the racing wars. It was amazing how both kids in there first race were running with the pack and didn't make any mistakes for there first time out.
        I am sure Beth and Richard will one day feel the rush of seeing there kids win a National Championship and get into the Hall Of Champions.........i found it was more satisfying to see my kids win then myself.
        As long as uncle Ed sticks with Stillwill Merc's, Tori and Grant may be writing there induction speech's sooner than they think!!
        Matt
        ps.................i went into the HOC with Beth in 1987 and it is amazing how she looks like she hasn't aged a day. I think she got all the good genes Uncle Ed

Comment

Ed...
          It's so cool to see the Hearn Racing Tradition carried on by Tori and Grant.
          With the help of your whole family, they are sure to become Champions.
          Cheers...
          Norm

Comment

Great paper Tori! You're very lucky to have such a great family! You can now be a member of Jersey Girls Racing Team!

Stacy
            "I don't want to just live life, I want to live an extraordinary life." - Kevin Ladd

Comment

Originally posted by 14-H View Post
              My uncle woke me up at 6am because I had to attend a drivers meeting. I was SO not awake! The only good thing about that was getting donuts and coffee.[/I]
              COFFEE! "it will stunt her growth!" not very many kids get excited about coffee :P I've drank it as far back as I can remember.

Anyway, Great story.
              Silas Jordan
              Windham, Maine
              CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
              Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

Working...
              X