Sidewinders at Millville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't Forget

To submit the actual testing data sheets to your SORC at the annual meeting so that they can distribute to the whole racing world to see. It was required with the Tohatsu and seemed to be the biggest complaint of the SORC in trying to make the engine a viable competitor with the Mercs. I recall lots of data on Hydroracer about it, all the testing results, but when it came down to nut crunching it was all rejected because there was no factual data sheets submitted to the SORC. You might want the Dyno sheets to go along with it as well. Place the best OMC in the ASH class today on the dyno and then the Sidewinder so a complete comparrison can be made.
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Sean, The bogging issue pretty much no longer exists. They worked with Lectron on using a variety of carburator sizes and then dialling each in by changing metering rods, jets and float level adjustments to get the most consistant combination. There is quite a learning curve with these carburators, but it seems they figured out what the motor needs.
      Dave, thanks for the advise, you are always so helpful to the stock outboard category.
      John Runne
      2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Thanks John, for the info. Another question for you, however. For someone buying a new motor have to deal with the carb issue, or is that being corrected on the new motors being sold.
        Sean Byrne

Comment

I believe the carbs will be set-up based on the best results that they have tested. Keep in mind that the enviroment,such as altitude & humidity will have an effect on any race motor. You're probably going to do your own testing and experimenting with carburator set-ups, timing, spark plugs etc. just like anything else, but they will advise everybody of perameters and test information for tuning the motor. i.e. Don't set your timing over xx degrees btdc. to help prevent damage.
          John Runne
          2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Runne View Post
            The A Sidewinder that Mike Kench was driving had many hours of hard testing. Ed Runne Bob Austin and Dylan Runne as our driver, spent many hours of testing metering rod, jet and timing adjustments, before even testing props.Our results from testing ended up being a 56.2 MPH ASR which is about 2.7 MPH faster than our AXSR testing speeds. After completing the A Sidewinder testing, we went on to test the 15ci B Sidewinder. The end results where a 60 MPH BSR. Dylan was doing all the testing at the ASR weight of 350 LBS. Thanks Sidewinder we do need these motors.
            Richard Runne
            Originally posted by 14-H View Post
            The A Class Sidewinder was very impressive. Ed Runne told me it has the same displacement, stroke, etc. as the B version but with 2 more cc's on the head, slightly lower port timing & smaller carb. Do not discount the driver's performance though. Mike Kench nailed all 4 heats of ASR. He was clearly, though, the fastest boat on the water. These small changes appear to have made little difference between the A & B Sidewinder speeds.

The B still needs some work, however. It contiues to have a 'bogging' problem in the corners & is off abut 500 RPM's. Kench did win on Sat. But it was because Erik's throttle broke 1st heat & all boats jumped the 2nd. On Sun, Kench got 2nd to Erik but it was a distant 2nd on a small course w Erik letting off quite a bit after the first lap. I did not notice this bogging in the A version & I was listening for it. Millville was a great place to watch this with a point right on the front stretch.

My assessment: The A Sidewinder is too fast, the B is still too slow. Nice to see all three versions on the water now, though. Keep up the good work.
            Just wonder'n if they have tried the milder ported A block in B configuration?....Could the reed valve motor benefit from milder exhaust ports...I looked at the B cyl on display at whitney and the exhaust ports are huge and little radius in them like a MOD merc cyl.....?
            Read'n my Brinkman manual....he talks about how square'n the radius of the drilled Merc exhaust affects the Mercs powerband......

Just some ran(dumb) bar stool thoughts

19P
            100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

MAYBE A SIDEWINDER "D" MOTOR IN FUtURE???????

Comment

Whats the price going to be on the new A engine?
                Bob

Comment

good question. but i expect it will be nearly the same as the B. This is pure speculation on my part.

"The Coffee Guy"
                  TEAM CAFFEINE
                  Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                  " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Working...
                  X