Sidewinders at Millville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidewinders at Millville

For all you non believers you better start believing there is a need for reeds. Mike Kench won 4 straight heats with new probabtionary A sidewinder on Dylan Runne's boat with top competitors there. Mike Kench again won with the B sidewinder in BSH on Saturday and second on Sunday behind Eric driving out of the Hearn camp. All Sidewinders through out the weekend performed very well.

( And by the way the carborator on the side does work )
    SPORTMANSHIP expresses an aspiration that the activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors.

Great news!
    Team Red

Comment

Sidewinder link?

Could someone post current link for info?.....Tried the link on
      H/R open'n page and takes ya to Dudley's first ride at White Haven....interst'n but would like a link to Factory info, prices, and configurations/classes were legal to run em....contact info......saw a flyer at the Nationals that was very well layed out.....

Any info on "A"-class configuration/cubic inch/carb/etc and what props were run on em?.....Any A-hydro Sidewinders?

19P
      Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 10-06-2008, 03:18 AM.
      100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

The Factory info I have seen is at
        http://www.racingoutboards.com/racingoutboards/

but it isn't very updated, it was better back awhile. Anyway you probably have that link anyway.
        Last edited by Stuboat97; 10-06-2008, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Positive thoughts

Originally posted by 371-M
          dont worry, APBA will mess with something and have parity -- by the way, do those sidewinders have a recoil or a stock looking motor cover? na I didn't think so....................
          Well, Stock Outboard plans some parity to not elimanate the OMC. The nice thing is that we are able to work with the manufacture to get the speed range right, so you won't have different heights and restrictor plates. Just so you are aware Mecury and OMC have not been beating down the door to build motors for our sport. Sidewinder is building a motor specifically for kneel down boat racing and we will be able to avoid importing issues and because it is for racing EPA concerns.

We welcome your constructive input at the national meeting. You really should sit in on the meeting and let your concerns and ideas be heard.

Oh and remember you are APBA make your voice heard.......we are member organization.

Scott Reed
          Last edited by reed28n; 10-06-2008, 06:15 AM.

Comment

If it's not slowed down 6-8 mph there will be no parity. Parity not achieved 2010 will be the death of A stock. R.I.P.
            Last edited by nicf14; 10-06-2008, 05:37 AM.
            Nic Thompson

www.tbrboats.com

Comment

The A version is currently 6-8 mph faster than a OMC?

What's the difference between the A and B motors?
              Fralick Racing
              Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Originally posted by nicf14 View Post
                If it's not slowed down 6-8 mph there will be no parity. Parity not achieved 2010 will be the death of A stock. R.I.P.
                If AXS keeps getting faster, THAT may be the death of A stock. The competition records the Sweeney's set in AXSH and ASH at Lawrence were only 2.4 mph apart (52.7 mph to 50.3 mph).

It may be time to start deciding how fast AXS, A, and B/15ss should go. Folks are going to want to run the Sidewinder A in A and AXS, more bang for the buck. Like Scott says, now is the time to start talking in your regions and getting input to your Commissioners for the upcoming National meeting. The future is here.
                Last edited by Cameraboy; 10-06-2008, 07:57 AM. Reason: caint spel
                Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
                sigpic
                Portland, Oregon
                Johnson Racing

Comment

My Observations

The A Class Sidewinder was very impressive. Ed Runne told me it has the same displacement, stroke, etc. as the B version but with 2 more cc's on the head, slightly lower port timing & smaller carb. Do not discount the driver's performance though. Mike Kench nailed all 4 heats of ASR. He was clearly, though, the fastest boat on the water. These small changes appear to have made little difference between the A & B Sidewinder speeds.

The B still needs some work, however. It contiues to have a 'bogging' problem in the corners & is off abut 500 RPM's. Kench did win on Sat. But it was because Erik's throttle broke 1st heat & all boats jumped the 2nd. On Sun, Kench got 2nd to Erik but it was a distant 2nd on a small course w Erik letting off quite a bit after the first lap. I did not notice this bogging in the A version & I was listening for it. Millville was a great place to watch this with a point right on the front stretch.

My assessment: The A Sidewinder is too fast, the B is still too slow. Nice to see all three versions on the water now, though. Keep up the good work.
                  14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

The Sidewinder is running Asr kilo speeds in competition on a short coarse.
                    Last edited by nicf14; 10-06-2008, 08:05 AM.
                    Nic Thompson

www.tbrboats.com

Comment

So will there be upgrade kits one can buy if they chose to move up through A-15-B (20) Sidewinders? They are all the same crank and case correct? Just different blocks/pistons and carbs?

Edit: I'd say it's a given if it's 6-8 mph faster it needs to slow down. It's still great news it's on the water and in the fine tuning stage.
                      Fralick Racing
                      Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

since the tech info has not been submitted and approved. Dialing the sidewinder A down in speed is not a big issue. as it should not require different weights and heights to accomplish it.

"The Coffee Guy"
                        TEAM CAFFEINE
                        Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                        " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

The A Sidewinder that Mike Kench was driving had many hours of hard testing. Ed Runne Bob Austin and Dylan Runne as our driver, spent many hours of testing metering rod, jet and timing adjustments, before even testing props.Our results from testing ended up being a 56.2 MPH ASR which is about 2.7 MPH faster than our AXSR testing speeds. After completing the A Sidewinder testing, we went on to test the 15ci B Sidewinder. The end results where a 60 MPH BSR. Dylan was doing all the testing at the ASR weight of 350 LBS. Thanks Sidewinder we do need these motors.
                          Richard Runne

Comment

The A Sidewinder was 2-3 mph faster than the OMC's. They're going to close the ports a little by changing the sleeves. The 15 is very competitive (not as fast as Eric, but who is?). Dudley ran 3rd or 4th. They're still tweaking the carb and no effort has really been put into props.
                            The difference between the A & 15 are Ports (sleeve), carburator & c.c.'s. Currently the A is about 3 1/2 mph slower than the 15. The 20 c.i. motor was running too lean. The speed was off 2-3 mph from the other 20SSH's. This motor has still not been tested at all and we've just been throwing props on it to see what it will do. Oh! The driver can start the motor by himself without a lift.
                            John Runne
                            2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Originally posted by csh2z View Post
                              The 20 c.i. motor was running too lean. The speed was off 2-3 mph from the other 20SSH's.
                              On the bogging issue do you think this is primarily from being to lean? Or do you have other thoughts about that?
                              Sean Byrne

Comment

Working...
                              X