Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Chief Scorers Who Use The Computer Scoring Program...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Chief Scorers Who Use The Computer Scoring Program...

I chief score for MRC and BSOA and neither club has really been introduced to the computer program besides when Kim Brusk used it at Wakefield a few years back. I have decided to give it a try but was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice/input on doing registration. Is it easier to enter the driver info as the entries come in or to wait until the end of registration to enter them all. Also if anyone has any other advice on using the computer system please share...I'm pretty literate with computers but I have heard some nightmare stories about computers on the judges stand.
    Thank You!

Sarah, My wife Kay is on the scoring committee and can help you. please call her. Will send you a private msg with her contact number.
    bill b

Comment

Hey Sara..

If you have help at registration, you should be able to handle putting in the entries as they come in.
      The most important thing I find is to make sure all the boat numbers are correct when entering them after the heats. That tends to cause the most problems. You'll see "#####" in the fields if something is off.
      Also, check the results after the race. You have to do time ties manually. If you know how to use a computer, you should be ok

Stacy
      "I don't want to just live life, I want to live an extraordinary life." - Kevin Ladd

Comment

computer scoring

If you have help during registration, you can enter as the entries come in. The greatest advantage is printing out score sheets and roll call sheets that have the names already on them. All the other advice I agree with.
        Shirley A Summers
        Ch. Scorer USTS

Comment

Computers on the stand

Biggest problem with computers on the judges stand is it takes all the chief scorers time to enter data. I am with the USTS and the program that Shirley uses has been modified for us. For Registration you enter the racers APBA number and it fills in all the information. If they are running a number different than their assigned racing number you will have to enter it manually. Our program is great but it like the APBA program is Excel based and we have pushed it about as far as Excel can go. It is set up to run 3 heats, but can be used for 2. It currently can only handle 24 entries per class. (we don't usually have that many) which makes for elims. Like Shirley said, it is great for setting up score sheets and summary sheets. If the program you start with has no little bugs, it should be fine for you. Excel can be tricky, but if you are familiar with it, you may be able to find any little flaws, which should eliminate the xxxx for you. We first started using the program shortly after APBA came out with theirs. We had to start modifying it early because we run 3 heats. Then we kept asking for more. Keep us informed as to how it is working for you, we have some really sharp computer folks in the USTS who can help. Setting aside time this winter (the off season) and really playing with the program can give you a head start on the racing season. We also found that limiting who could enter data was helpful. Lots of people who are willing to help don't realize that a hitting a wrong key can go unoticed until the program doesn't function correctly.

Comment

Scoring with computer

Sarah-I have been scoring for over 40 years and have scored the "old" way and with computer. I admit I was slow getting started with the computer but love it now. It eliminates SO much paperwork & writing. If you have a good competent scorer that not only does laps, but does points too, you have it made. You can have the results before the boats get to inspection and have it double checked. The key is entering the numbers/letters correctly. When that is done, correct points, times, etc. are done and you can move on.
            It does take some practice to get comfortable with the program. But you can "pretend" in your own living room until you get the hang of it. Entering at registration is an easy process and can be done simply by entering the APBA # and boat #, which does not take much time at all. The biggest pain is the drivers who change their number half a dozen times before they finally get out on the race course and still have a different number than what they gave you. We have to train them better! Try it, you have nothing to lose...you can always go back to the "old" way if you don't like it and get writers cramp!
            Jill Glossner

Comment

Working...
            X