Candlewick Lake, IL July 19-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candlewick Lake, IL July 19-20

aka Poplar Grove, IL which is how it appears on the sanction and APBA schedule.

Latest news. Bill Carter has been working with local sponsors and we now have enough $ in the kitty to pay $75 for the winner of each class. The winner will be the driver with the most points per class after both days. JR and JH will receive plaques instead of money.

More good news. Entry fees for J/AXS is $5 per class per day. All other classes is $15 per class per day.

Even more good news. $50 in tow money will be paid for each trailer traveling more than 200 miles one way. You must register with Chris Dudek cdudek29H@hotmail.com by Friday July 11 to qualify.

The good news just keeps on coming. Free breakfast will be provided at the clubhouse in the pits on Saturday morning for the racers. Free camping is provided on site but there will be no camping in the pits. The campsite has a building with a kitchen and restrooms that will be open for our use.

The pits are good but will be tight, so we are asking for your cooperation in advance concerning where you park your trailer and how much room you take.

The sponsor/host is very excited about us racing there. Please help us put on a good show.

Bill
    Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

This is Great Bill.
    Thanks to all that have worked to make this happen, and to everyone still working to make it even better!!
    Gene Schertz 26V
    TEAM CAFFEINE
    Cranked up and ready to Roll
    Reeds for Speed!

Comment

bump

bump

Bill

Bill Pavlick

Comment

Candlewick!!!

Candlewick Update:
        Quite a few people from Marine Racing Club and BSOA participated in the Candlewick parade yesterday. Chicago Paul, Bill Pavlick, and Tad Olson had their trailers (boats loaded with kids) in the parade. It was a great time and the Candlewick community was very excited to see the boats. Thanks to Angela Olson for running along the parade and taking pictures.

Yesterday was the first time I have been to Candlewick. It is an amazing place for a boat race. There is a large point (with a beach) for the spectators to view the races. There will be two food tents and a beer tent in this area. There is also a clubhouse with an excellent restaurant and a place to people to cool off in the A/C if the day gets real hot. In addition, they will be opening the swimming pool so that boat racer kids can swim.

The lake itself is great for racing. It is fairly well protected with a shoreline that absorbs wakes. There is plenty of water to make any size course that we would like.

SEE YOU THERE!!!

-Mike Pavlick

Comment

Is this the same Candlewick Park around the Rockford area? The houses were sold in the 60's and 70's as summer getaways if so.
          Bill Schwab
          Miss KTDoodle #62C
          -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

Don't Delay Book a Hotel ASAP !

Heads Up .. Hotel Rooms are filling up Fast ! Doo IT NOW !

Comment

Motels

Which one did you pick????

Warbs
              64*W

Comment

I booked at the one in Belvidere.(sorry don't have my notes for the name)

They had one additional room available when I called sat a.m.

Comment

Candlewick entrance

Please use the east entrance to the subdivision from route 76 which runs north-south. Turn in on Candlewick Blvd, this road into the place is about 300 yards north of a Marathon station (Race sponsor). Once in Candlewick, turn left on Candlewick Drive and follow to opposit side of lake. We are pitting in the lower parking lot of the recreation center.

Bill

Bill Pavlick

Comment

Thanks Bill

"The Coffee Guy"
                    TEAM CAFFEINE
                    Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                    " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Candlewick Hotels

Chris had asked me about hotels this weekend and I had not yet gotten back to him. Sorry Chris.

Anyway the closest hotel is the one in Belvidere. America's Best. The rest of the hotels in Belvidere are really not very nice. And as for America's Best I have never stayed there so I do not have any experience with it. It does not have a hotel chain feel to it. There are bad reviews on this hotel on Yahoo. And the name is different but the address the same.

America's Best Value Inn‎
                      1605 N State St, Belvidere, IL - (815) 544-7111

If you stay in Belvidere this hotel will be close to the mostly fast food places in the town.

I personally would suggest staying in Rockford on Riverside or State Street.

The next 2 closest hotels are on Riverside, approximately 10 miles away (if you use the West entrance to the lake. The hotels on Riverside are close to some good food places and some stores.

The first is the Holiday Inn Express
                      7552 PARK PLACE
                      LOVES PARK, IL 61111
                      Hotel Front Desk: 1-815-6544100

The second is Days Inn and Suites Rockford
                      (815) 282-9300
                      4313 N Bell School Rd, Loves Park, IL 61111
                      This hotel also has bad reviews so it is up to you.

Here are some thoughts on the East State Street hotels which are about 13 miles away from the race site:

Nice hotels
                      Baymont Inn
                      Courtyard
                      Hilton Radisson

Older hotels not worth it
                      Holiday Inn on State Street
                      Clock Tower

Cheap Lower end hotels but not total dumps
                      Red Roof Inn
                      Comfort Inn
                      Motel 6
                      Sleep Inn
                      Quality Suites

There are another 4 hotels I did not list so if you can not find a hotel here I would be suprised. The hotels on State are very close to all the food places and stores you would need.

You can contact me if you have any specialized questions.

Tad.
                      Last edited by Tad Olson; 07-08-2008, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoontz View Post
                        Is this the same Candlewick Park around the Rockford area? The houses were sold in the 60's and 70's as summer getaways if so.
                        You are correct.

Tad.

Comment

Opps pics to follow, sorry.

Tad.
                          Last edited by Tad Olson; 07-08-2008, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Pics from Candlewick parade

These are pics from the Candlewick parade Mike was talking about. Let me know if you want more.

Tad.

Resize of DSC_2021.JPG
                            The whole kid crew.

Resize of DSC_2028.JPG
                            Hot parade chicks

Resize of DSC_2034.JPG
                            View of the line

Resize of DSC_2038.JPG
                            Another view of the line

Resize of DSC_2029.JPG
                            Waiting for the start of the parade

Resize of DSC_2071.JPG
                            Mission accomplished. With a view of the lake in the background.

Comment

site map

Enter the site on Candlewick Blvd from the east off of route 76. Turn left on Candlewick Dr and follow around to Rec Center, we are pitting in the lower parking lot by the ramp. Please note where the campsite is in relation to the pits. It is a walkable distance and there will be shuttle buses running during the weekend. Tents and RV's to camp on the far side of the building at the camping area. The building will be open and has bathrooms and a kitchen.

People keep asking, but sorry, no testing.

Bill
                              Attached Files

Bill Pavlick

Comment

Working...
                              X