Elk River experience: What a blast !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elk River experience: What a blast !!

We are back and it was an experience that I will never forget. We pulled in not knowing anyone but after ten minutes we already felt like part of the SLORA family. We set camp and then came down to test and everone was there to lend a hand.

After some quick driver pointers and an adjustment of the carb mixture we were ready. My son in law and I both went out with not a lot of speed or success. So we had another driver take it out and said we had good equipment and it would just take time. As the day progressd we got better just knowing that we had a boat that was good enough once we got the hang of it.

Testing was over fast and then we found out that these folks also know how to do somthing other than boat race, PARTY! They do both with a lot of passion and everyone is always smiling.

Saturday racing was still a lot of learning. We do ok in the straits but we don't get the corners yet. I was getting lapped on Saturday by the first and second boats but by Sunday no one lapped me. Kevin ( son in law)was a little more lucky since his class started out with only 3 boats and after one went over on Saturday all Sunday it was just 2 boats so he had lots of room and the other driver showed him around the coarse.

We had a blast and I think the wife enjoyed herself to because she was already making plans for the next race. It looks easier than it is. Boy am I sore especially after running 3 flights both days. Boat turn out was not huge but for newbies it was just right. We went thru 5 gallons of gas so we ran a lot.

The weather was great. The weather man had said rain all three days but it was sunny and 70. I wish I could always be wrong, get paid a lot, and never get fired.

It will really be fun once we get the hang of turning and the boat seems stuck to the water in the straits. We are counting the days till June 14th at Banks Lake. I know why you all participate in this sport, now!
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Elk River /blueskyracer

It was our pleasure to welcome you to our family, We run the race with safety as the number one concern. But when its time to have fun our group is number one around the campfire. We all show up to race hard and have fun. I guess that's whats its all about. Again, welcome to our family!!!!!!!
    PS about the fuel thing, I used that much fuel in the first two heats

Terry Fiorelli
    Holeshot Racing
    SMOKE ON THE WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I am glad you had such a good time! Now to really blow your mind. You would have gotten the same reception from the racing family, no matter what race you attended anywhere in the nation. WELCOME fellow Boatracer

"The Coffee Guy"
      TEAM CAFFEINE
      Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
      " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

I would like to add to what Terry said about the safety crew. They were on the ball with the two incidents. Everyone knew that the water temp was a balmy 42 degrees so there was no time to waste. After the red flag and all boats were headed to the pits the rescue boat was there. Also the drivers involved where so fast at getting on the bottom of there boats that from a distance you could not tell the boat was upside down if you did not see it happen.

If we could afford the fuel we would race with other clubs to but unless diesel drops in price or wages surge way up that will not be happening for a while. I know it would be fun with any boat racer and any club. Also we are not competitive yet so we will see how the season goes. Maybe in a month or so we can do some of our own testing when the water clears and drops.

Comment

SOunds Like you had a blast, my first race was the same way over here in Maine. My second race is also june 14th-15th and I can't wait. The first one was soo local we jst went home at night, but this next one will be a blast. I was told I did very well for being my first race, but I have conciderable experience with snowmobiles so we think that helped a little. Kinda almost similar, have to throw your weight around for corners and when you hit bumps and stuff they don't make you worried cuz you know its just how it rides. I didn't even think about that when I was going just a theory we came up with sort of I did feel more comfortable out there then I thought I would have but I still have tons to learn running against these people with 30 years of experience or more.

Well back on track, Good luck with your next race, let us know how it goes.
          Silas Jordan
          Windham, Maine
          CSR 53A (2B till the boat gets redone)
          Sigma Nu, IN-549

Comment

We were absorbing a lot of info last weekend but I can't remember ( mad cow) if it was denatured alcohol that everyone uses to dry out an engine, just incase. I want to add this to our tool box.

I was also suprised to see a lot of folks using my favorite oil for the lower units. ( Marvell Mystery oil)

Comment

Welcome

To the family. It is a very easy going family, and helpfull too. One item to add to your list i did not see.... extra beer. Heck with the ether, you can borrow that, get the beer in there, it is a type of alcohol.

Go test a LOT locally if you can, it will make the racing much mor fun. I know you are having fun now, but wait until you become competitive and race side by side... the fun has barley begun.
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Beer would be at the top of the list but a year ago I became a diabetic so that killed beer. I will have to have a good time racing and telling stories around the fire. In fact I had a problem with the blood sugar Sunday since there was no lunch break. The wife figured it out and rushed a sandwich down. I lost all of my strength for a couple minutes. Once we figure out the turns we will be up there. I wish we could test but all we have right now are very flooded rivers. Maybe in August.

Comment

blueskyracer

About that stuff for drying out engines, come see me I usually have a few extra gallons of that stuff in the ol race trailer As far as the food thing just let us know and we can take a break if need be Hope to see you guys soon!

Terry Fiorelli
                  Smoke on the Water
                  Last edited by holeshot racing II; 05-29-2008, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Glad you had fun

It was nice to meet and talk with you and glad to hear you had a great time. Here's a couple of shots for ya!!

Cheers
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Phantom13; 05-29-2008, 10:19 PM.
                    Robert Stone
                    Team SS Hydroplane Racing
                    Crew

-Too close for missiles...switching to guns!!

Comment

It helps to start with great equipment, and Gary Lewis has/had some of the best! We've had a great time our first year and have met many folks who are great people while checking out all the fun places I never thought this state had!

Hope to see you down this way some time.
                      Bill Schwab
                      Miss KTDoodle #62C
                      -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

Beer

Sorry man, that has got to suck. But look on the bright side, you could bring beer and get all your competition loopy !!
                        Dave Mason
                        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                          Sorry man, that has got to suck. But look on the bright side, you could bring beer and get all your competition loopy !!
                          Dave,I like that idea. A bad morning after would really suck for the other guy.

Thanks for the pictures. Our camera is not up to taking good pictures of moving objects so we ended up with nothing for our first race. Kevin will enjoy these since he had never even seen a hydro till we picked up Garys in Salt Lake. He is already talking about Banks Lake.

I am working hard on the new boat. I am almost finished with varnish on the bottom. The top is waiting for paint. All of the hardware is fitted and we have had an engine mounted so we are close. If we get it done then we will need some pit help. I am also packing a lunch in the morning so that I can eat if necessary.

Only two weeks till we are racing again

Comment

Banks lake@Sun Banks Resort

That's right two weeks we will be at banks lake for Fathers day weekend. Bring the new boat and lets get it wet, Real nice place to race with RV sites cabins & tent sites. Full race schedule Stocks,mods,pro & Flatbottoms. Should be a great weekend for weather and lots of fun. Any questions, feel free to contant me

Terry Fiorelli
                            Smoke On The Water

Comment

Working...
                            X