One last bit of help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One last bit of help

It's just a little over one month till our first race. I have one last batch of questions. For all of these questions keep in mind we will be running CSH with two Yamato 102 engines.

1) Who is a good source of shear pins and prop nuts? What is the torque on a prop nut?

2) What oil is prefered for mixing with the fuel?

3) What oil is prefered for the lower unit? Also, I found the drain plug which is a philips headed screw but where do you add the oil at?

4) Who carrys the safety switch lanyards and should you keep a spare? Right now we have none.

5) Can a 102 be used in 20SSH with a restricter plate? If so, who makes the plates?

6) Since we are working on a new boat for 2009 what do folks use for a fillet for between the cockpit sides and the deck? Must be paintable. I noticed in the new boats for 2008 thread there was something being used that was a tan color. I know silicone can not be painted over.

7) What is a good check list for necessary stuff to take to a race for the boat?

I hope these are not stupid questions. Any help is appreciated. At least now I have a boat and some motors to look at.

Thanks
    Mike
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

It's just a little over one month till our first race. I have one last batch of questions. For all of these questions keep in mind we will be running CSH with two Yamato 102 engines.

1) Who is a good source of shear pins and prop nuts? What is the torque on a prop nut?

There are several around. I get mine from MJRacing (I get the family discount) - they can be reached at mjracing@windstream.net. As for torque, I have always used tight is tight.
    2) What oil is prefered for mixing with the fuel?

It seems that everybody uses different stuff - from regular 2 cycle Merc oil to synthics like klotz or whatever. Everybody has pro's and cons to what they are using. I am sure many people will chime in with better suggestions.
    3) What oil is prefered for the lower unit? Also, I found the drain plug which is a philips headed screw but where do you add the oil at?

Don't mess with that screw. The easier way to fill it is to drop the foot (2 nuts where the tower meets the foot) and pour your lube in from the top. As for what kind, once again you will see many answers.

4) Who carrys the safety switch lanyards and should you keep a spare? Right now we have none.

I found in a marine store a replacement lanyard that had 6 different ends on it. I would recommend picking one up. Most of the time you lanyard will stay where it belongs but at least once a year you see someone hunting the river bank looking for a lost one.

5) Can a 102 be used in 20SSH with a restricter plate? If so, who makes the plates?

Yes it can. As for the where to get one, not sure. I sure some one post where they are, if not Scott Reed, SO Grand Poba can be reached.

6) Since we are working on a new boat for 2009 what do folks use for a fillet for between the cockpit sides and the deck? Must be paintable. I noticed in the new boats for 2008 thread there was something being used that was a tan color. I know silicone can not be painted over.

Most of those gussets are made out of west systems epoxy with filler. West is probably the most popular epoxy used in racing. Most boats are not only glued together with it but also coated with it. This makes them last. West Marine sells it everyday

7) What is a good check list for necessary stuff to take to a race for the boat?

A little bit of everything. There are basic list like, gas, food, clothes, pit shoes and dry shoes. Then you get more specific list that very from trailer to trailer. I wouldn't worry too much because anything you forget can usually be bought or borrowed in the pits. That is one thing racers are very good about is helping out and sharing.
    I hope these are not stupid questions. Any help is appreciated. At least now I have a boat and some motors to look at.

Good luck gettign ready for your first race. Nothing is better than the smell of your trailer box in Spring. Of course nothings worse than the smell of the trailer box in August.

Thanks
    Mike
    Brian 10s

Comment

There are no stupid questions in this sport

I'll be watching this thread because I'm in the same boat (pun)as you.Yes the 102 can be run in 20ssh with a restrictor plate, I also need one.When I picked up my motor the previous owner was using AMSOIL DOMINATOR running at 30:1 .All the other stuff pins,kill switch,etc I can get from FRALICK Good Luck Wayne 96CE
      Latter Race Team 20SSH/CSH/OSY400 /AXSH
      The eh TEAM
      "We'll burn that bridge when we come to it"

Comment

Plates

Ric Montoya has plates. http://yamatoracing.net/

sigpic
        SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...levispins.php-
          get the clevis pins with p/n AN393-39. Cheaper to just buy 100 at a time.

2) What oil is prefered for mixing with the fuel? Amzoil, Klotz, and there's a bunch of other good ones. I run 30:1, which is recommended by Yamato

I've used the green Mercury gear lube and have had no trouble. I usually change it every couple races

Steve Greeves of Portabe Bay Systems can help you with a lot of racing equipment and a real good guy......
          http://www.portagebaysystems.com/marine/

Also, Ric Montoya is the Yamato dealer out West and can help you with most anything you might need (restrictors for 20SSH) Yamato related......
          http://yamatoracing.net/

See answer to #4

Here's a list I put together when I started a couple years ago......

Boat
          Motor
          Props
          Clevis pins
          Gas
          Helmet & safety cloths
          2 cycle oil
          WD40
          gear case oil
          prop nuts
          spark plugs
          tools - screw drivers wrenches etc
          knee pads or pad for boat
          wet shoes
          extra clothes
          sunscreen
          camera
          video if you have it
          GPS for recording speeds - or Keller speedometer
          notebook to keep track of your set ups and results
          stop watch - some guys like to have one in the boat so they can make timed runs at the clock before the race starts
          sponge
          drain plugs
          starting fluid - for drying out engine
          small plastic bucket
          soap/hand cleaner
          waders - if the water is cold
          extra starter ropes - depending on the engine you run
          shim sticks - 1/16", 1/8", 1/4"
          height checker - make sure you are legal (can borrow)
          angle checker - to check prop shaft angle (should have one since they are all slightly different
          EZ canopy (nice to have)
          legal gas - have yours checked before you mix with oil
          paper towels
          duct tape
          extra kill switch tether
          cordless drill & bits
          food & drink
          test wheel
          tachometer
          fire extinguisher
          sandpaper
          file, toilet paper, generator, duct tape

Mike

Hope this helps
          Last edited by seanp3; 04-08-2008, 05:51 PM.
          Sean Byrne

Comment

I use 3/16 inch stainless rod and cut to length. Buy it at a model shop. I run them in my C Mod Hydro and have used some of the sames pins for 3 years. They get a little bent and I just pound them straight. I tighten the prop tight enough to slightly bend the shear pin.

Comment

Mike,

This was a big help for me. I am just packing the trailer for my first running with a CMH. Heading for Tabor City, NC...

Thank you,
              John
              John Sherlock

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man
              standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill

Comment

This all helps a lot. I like the list of things to take also but I did not notice beer. Must be an oversite. Hopefully we will not look like idiots and have some fun. Right now the big issue is the weather. It is still snowing and it is almost the middle of April!

I have sent Ric Montoya an e-mail and will wait for a reply. I also have some of that 3/16 shaft material, in a pinch, from my R/C days of boat racing.

Comment

Kill Switch.

Be sure to shorten your kill switch lanyard. You want the motor to shut down rapidly if you go out of the boat.

Comment

one other real important thing is to make sure the kill switch is actually hooked up..... Right Kip?? btw potential dim bulb award for you. hehe

"The Coffee Guy"
                    TEAM CAFFEINE
                    Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                    " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Misc

As Brian mentioned, fill the lower unit up by removing it from the motor. Fill the lub up to the upper screw. First remove the gasket if it is stuck on the lower unit then look down inside the lower unit and you should see the upper screw on the inside. I recommend getting a few lower unit gasket from Rick Montoya as well. They are about a dollar each. I would check the gear lube often, at least every couple races and replace the gasket as needed.

As for Yamato gas/oil mix, Ski Doo has a number of oils that can be used.
                      They have a mineral oil, a synthetic oil and a blend. I would recommend using the blend. You can buy it by the qt or gallon.

The 102 has no water pump. I recommend that you rig up a pump in case you need to dry out the motor or want to break a new one in.
                      The guys in your area will show you what you need. I used a bilge pump with long cables hooked to a rechargable "jump start" battery system. It's light, easy to work with and you can jump your auto if it doesn't start as well...

One more thing. Safety issue here. Make sure your turning fin is parallel with the air traps from front to back. I use a little lazer on the fin and measure at two points on the air trap, one at the front and one at the rear. By doing this, if the fin catches the water, it won't send you right or left. You can use a shim or a washer on the front or rear of the fin to accomplish getting the fin parallel.

You had very good questions. Good Luck!
                      Tom Kargus

Comment

What to bring to Race...

Amazingly, no one has mentioned the most important:

Plenty of Coffee and Beer!

Seriously, though, don't forget to join an APBA club and also bring your APBA card. Might want to get a boat cart, too. Eddie.
                        14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Stainless ???

Originally posted by Jack Stotts View Post
                          I use 3/16 inch stainless rod and cut to length. Buy it at a model shop. I run them in my C Mod Hydro and have used some of the sames pins for 3 years. They get a little bent and I just pound them straight. I tighten the prop tight enough to slightly bend the shear pin.
                          I do believe the 3/16" rod one finds at a hobby shop (owned a hobby shop for 15 years) is called "piano wire" probably because of the hardness of the steel. Not stainless, it will rust, but it is good for shear pins. Bends just a wee bit when you tighten the nut but not hard to remove later. I would cut the piano wire with "dangerous disks" #406 (I think) Dremal grinding disks. Wear safety glasses, the dangerous part is when the thin carbide disks hand grenade and fling pieces all over.

I also used 3/16" aircraft clevis pins, they work nice. Stainless steel DID NOT work. Dang things bent and then work hardened and I'd wind up beating the bejesus outta the embedded pin with a punch and a BFH. A three beer and 47 cuss word job. Also not good, the 3/16" slightly tapered pins used to locate pieces on a millwork bed. Forgot what they're called, but they're case hardened and snap easy - as in shear. Ordinary prop to prop shaft loads on an old Mercury KG-4 A motor would snap them before making it to the start line.
                          carpetbagger

Comment

This is probably a really dumb question but where does the 102 pick up the water? I see no inlet except the big hole behind the prop. If that is the water pick up then where does the exhaust come out at?

We did get a cart and we are in the process of making it look like the boat.

The club we will be racing with uses AOF and we have all joined and have our cards. If we decided to race at a APBA race do we have to join it to?

I found good 3/16 steel rod at ACE so I am going to cut some up. I will use a sawsall since I hate those nasty discs that Mr Huson refers to. I had one blow up and luckily I was wearing safety glasses. I also found some good nuts with the nylon lock feature.

We only have one parts store in this small town and all they have is Valvoline 2 stroke oil so I will look for something else when I am in Seattle on the 23rd of April. They also only have CRC marine gear oil. I also notice that one NGK plug for these puppies is almost $20 a piece. Ouch, that is at least three gallons of diesel. LOL

Comment

Spark Plugs

NGK R8102A10.

Rockauto.com or sparkplugs.com. About $10 each.
                              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
                              X