Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Hydroplane Racing Schedule and 2008 Agenda

MHRA held its spring meeting and awards banquet on Saturday 3-29-2008

The following schedule was finalized, we will be adding two additional races to our schedule! Along with the additional races in Region 6 and Region 7 everyone will definitely have several places to race within a few hours of their homes! Now let’s work on adding new members!

June 7/8 - Mesick, MI (SO, J, SO Marathon, SLT and SLT Mar.)
    June 14/15 - Constantine, MI (SO, J, DMH, FEH, BMH/25MH combined)
    June 21/22 - Augusta, MI (SO, J, SO Marathon) also JH/JR NACs on Sat.
    Sept 6/7 - Grass Lake, MI (SO, J, SO Marathon Divisionals, SLT)
    Sept 13/14 - Big Rapids, MI (SO, J, SO Marathon, SLT)

MHRA reaffirmed it's commitment to promote SLT racing and bring back Marathon racing! In the past we tolerated these classes at our races. We will do more in 2008 to embrace these alternative forms of outboard racing! Marathons are being run at 4 out of 5 of our races, add in Top of Michigan and Trenton and a Marathon racer can get 11 races in without leaving the state of Michigan! Mike Affholter committed to adding all of our races to his marathon series for 2008. We plan on working closely with Mike and several of the Marathon racers in our club to support and promote this historic form of Outboard Racing.

As mentioned the SLT program will also be run at Mesic and added to Grass Lake in addition to Big Rapids. MHRA is committed to supporting the SLT and making them feel more “at home" within our club. SLT racers please contact me with any ideas or discussions of how we can support you better this year.

The Mesic, MI race is very dependent on a strong showing of SLT and Marathons. This race needs your full support to have long term viability. MHRA decided to put on this race to show our commitment to promoting SLT and Marathon racing in addition to short course races. Todd Armstrong is working very hard on making this a great event and will post details on the race.

The additional race in Augusta, MI is probably the best "true" short course venue MHRA will race at in 2008. This race has the potential to be one of the "best of the best" race sites. It is being run back to back weekends with Constantine, MI and they are a short drive apart. Mark Miskerik is looking into options to leave your trailer at Constantine and pick it up the following weekend on your way to Augusta. Mark is working extremely hard on this event which will feature a dinner and potentially a band. Mark will post more details soon.

MHRA realizes with gas going to $4.00 a gallon our races need to be great and I am confident these two new races will live up to our high standards.

MHRA also will institute a "never ever" racer program at all of our events in 2008. The details are being worked out now. However, the basic concept is....If you show up to an MHRA event with a "never ever" racer you will receive 15 minutes of guaranteed test time on the course prior to the start of the race. A single event membership is required but for 2008 it may be funded by our club. In addition, through the generous donation of the Loomer family MHRA owns one complete ASR rig that will be available for the "never ever" racer for use or sale! More details will follow as the program is being further defined. MHRA wants to be known as a club that will cater to getting new members on the water. If you have a "never ever" racer and are interested in any of the details of the program contact me for information.

Representatives from Grass Lake were also in attendance and the 2009 nationals were discussed. Mark your calendars; this should be one Great Nationals!!

James Klein won MHRA “Rookie of the Year”
    Andrew Tate won MHRA “Driver of the Year”
    Brian Trolian won MHRA “Club Member of the Year"
    Donna White won the VanValkenburg Award for lifetime achievement

MHRA is committed to adding more races, adding more members and continuing to put on quality races!

Hope to see you on our courses in 2008.

Dean Sutherland
    Commodore MHRA
    Last edited by csh12M; 04-01-2008, 08:49 AM.

"Never Ever Racer"

That is a proactive step, great job MHRA. A good idea and actually being implemented. It is good to see this sort of thing going on. And the guarenteed test time for them makes a great thing a really great thing. It also helps us racers to try and get someone in a rig to test and race if we don't have to supply the rig. Hopefully other clubs will follow suit.
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Nice job guys,With all the races in Michigan this year i may have to buy a boat and go racing.Great job MHRA
      Bob

Comment

"Never Ever" promo program

Congrats MHRA for taking a bold step to further stock outboard racing. This very thing was discussed at great length in another thread on this forum. This is just what stock racing needs. Many times I have had folks, usually young guys, approach me at races with questions on racing and especially, how to get equipment to start racing. Your new program will make it very easy for "never ever" potential racers to begin racing.

Bob

Comment

Wow!!!

Originally posted by CSH12M View Post
          MHRA held its spring meeting and awards banquet on Saturday 3-29-2008

The following schedule was finalized, we will be adding two additional races to our schedule! Along with the additional races in Region 6 and Region 7 everyone will definitely have several places to race within a few hours of their homes! Now let’s work on adding new members!

June 7/8 - Mesick, MI (SO, J, SO Marathon, SLT and SLT Mar.)
          June 14/15 - Constantine, MI (SO, J, DMH, FEH, BMH/25MH combined)
          June 21/22 - Augusta, MI (SO, J, SO Marathon) also JH/JR NACs on Sat.
          Sept 6/7 - Grass Lake, MI (SO, J, SO Marathon Divisionals, SLT)
          Sept 13/14 - Big Rapids, MI (SO, J, SO Marathon, SLT)

MHRA reaffirmed it's commitment to promote SLT racing and bring back Marathon racing! In the past we tolerated these classes at our races. We will do more in 2008 to embrace these alternative forms of outboard racing! Marathons are being run at 4 out of 5 of our races, add in Top of Michigan and Trenton and a Marathon racer can get 11 races in without leaving the state of Michigan! Mike Affholter committed to adding all of our races to his marathon series for 2008. We plan on working closely with Mike and several of the Marathon racers in our club to support and promote this historic form of Outboard Racing.

As mentioned the SLT program will also be run at Mesic and added to Grass Lake in addition to Big Rapids. MHRA is committed to supporting the SLT and making them feel more “at home" within our club. SLT racers please contact me with any ideas or discussions of how we can support you better this year.

The Mesic, MI race is very dependent on a strong showing of SLT and Marathons. This race needs your full support to have long term viability. MHRA decided to put on this race to show our commitment to promoting SLT and Marathon racing in addition to short course races. Todd Armstrong is working very hard on making this a great event and will post details on the race.

The additional race in Augusta, MI is probably the best "true" short course venue MHRA will race at in 2008. This race has the potential to be one of the "best of the best" race sites. It is being run back to back weekends with Constantine, MI and they are a short drive apart. Mark Miskerik is looking into options to leave your trailer at Constantine and pick it up the following weekend on your way to Augusta. Mark is working extremely hard on this event which will feature a dinner and potentially a band. Mark will post more details soon.

MHRA realizes with gas going to $4.00 a gallon our races need to be great and I am confident these two new races will live up to our high standards.

MHRA also will institute a "never ever" racer program at all of our events in 2008. The details are being worked out now. However, the basic concept is....If you show up to an MHRA event with a "never ever" racer you will receive 15 minutes of guaranteed test time on the course prior to the start of the race. A single event membership is required but for 2008 it may be funded by our club. In addition, through the generous donation of the Loomer family MHRA owns one complete ASR rig that will be available for the "never ever" racer for use or sale! More details will follow as the program is being further defined. MHRA wants to be known as a club that will cater to getting new members on the water. If you have a "never ever" racer and are interested in any of the details of the program contact me for information.

Representatives from Grass Lake were also in attendance and the 2009 nationals were discussed. Mark your calendars; this should be one Great Nationals!!

James Klein won MHRA “Rookie of the Year”
          Andrew Tate won MHRA “Driver of the Year”
          Brian Trolian won MHRA “Club Member of the Year"
          Donna White won the VanValkenburg Award for lifetime achievement

MHRA is committed to adding more races, adding more members and continuing to put on quality races!

Hope to see you on our courses in 2008.

Dean Sutherland
          Commodore MHRA
          I'll do all I can to support these events and ask (demand)that my DSR brothers do the same!!!

Comment

Start me up!

Originally posted by Gootz 142M View Post
            I'll do all I can to support these events and ask (demand)that my DSR brothers do the same!!!
            I was waiting to hear that you will be at Mesick.
            I'll be there with a DSR. It's been a long winter. I can't wait to get started!

Comment

Be There!

Originally posted by jeff55v View Post
              I was waiting to hear that you will be at Mesick.
              I'll be there with a DSR. It's been a long winter. I can't wait to get started!
              Jeff,

I have my site, 202. Time to play!!

Comment

Yep!

Originally posted by 371-M
                Gootz, You got a Front row seat!!!!!!!!!!! excellant!!!!!!!!
                We"ll see ya there!

Comment

Augusta, MI - Fort Custer State Rec. Area

All,

Here are some very important updates for those planning on attending the SO/SO Mar/J-Classes (JH & JR NACs) June 21-22 at Fort Custer Recreation Area in Augusta, MI.

For those who plan on camping with Motorhomes, Vans, Truck, Tents:
                  This is a state park and you have to reserve a campsite in advance (the park guarantee they will have sites to book upon arrival). The price is $21/night. All reservations must be made on-line as the park does have any "reserved" sites. As of 10:00pm (May 1st) there are only 35 sites left for June 20 and 21 (Fri. and Sat.) and you must book 2 nights.

Please go to:
                  http://www.midnrreservations.com/cam...tselection.cfm

and select Fort Custer Recreation Area from the drop down menu and then follow the instructions to make your reservations. The sites are based on vehicle type / motorhome length. The 35 sites available was based on a 35' motorhome. If you have a bigger on than that there may be less sites available. Please don't wait!

In addition to the camping reservations, I've blocked 15 rooms at the Econo Lodge - Kalamazoo West. This hotel in about 12 miles from the race site. The price is $53.99 / night plus tax. This block of rooms and price is only guaranteed through June 7th. The Econo Lodge phone # is: 269-388-3551. Please mention MHRA/Hydroplane races to get the rate and ensure your room. Please don't wait to the last minute as all the other hotels in Kalamazoo are almost completely booked due to sports tournaments in town that weekend.

Now, the good stuff. The village is very excited to have the event. There are a few businesses that are stepping up to make us feel welcome and support the races. Also there will be a permanent conscession stand on site with food throughout the day. We are also having a catered "picnic" style dinner under the pavilion with 3 meats, 1 hot side, 2 cold sides and lemonade/tea. Price will be $10 adults and $7 children 10 and under. Alcohol is not allowed in the park, however we will have a permit for the dinner so you can bring you own. Additionally, there are 2 bars within about 1/2 mile of the park entrance that are really looking forward to having us.

The race is shaping up nice and we really believe this will be MHRA's premier site for race course and pits. Hope you plan on attending!

Comment

Augusta

Originally posted by hydroracer25 View Post
                    The race is shaping up nice and we really believe this will be MHRA's premier site for race course and pits. Hope you plan on attending!

OK... You got me. I'll be there with a DSR for the marathon. Unless gas prices break $4.50 a gallon!

What got me? Looks like a nice campground for the family, and the marathon for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X