Clear All

• The Race for the Kids 2008

Date 2008-04-04 thru 2008-04-06
    Region # 5
    Conducting Club Club# 125
    Co-Host Lake Wales Kiwanis Foundation, Inc
    Application Date 2008-02-20 Approved on 2008-03-10

Place Lake Wales , FL Lake Wales

Directions Directions from Rt. 27 North or South. Turn East at the stop light on Central Ave. That will take you to the lake. Pits are on the North side of the lake.

Accommodations THE GREEN GABLES INN, Highway 27, Lake Wales, Florida Phone: 863-676-2511 or www.greengablesfl.com Mention APBA or USTS to receive discounted room rates - $82.00 for a double, $72.00 for a single. HAMPTON INN, Lake Wales, Florida (brand new) Mention APBA for $99 rate. Camping area will be provided.

Classes
    Saturday, April 5, 2008
    04020 -
    04040 -
    04190 -
    04200 -
    04220 -
    04230 -

Sunday, April 6, 2008
    04010 -
    04030 -
    04210 -
    04260 -
    04280 -

Friday, April 4: TESTING for all classes - 11:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. Saturday, April 5 & Sunday, April 6: TESTING will be provided as time allows. Saturday & Sunday: Racing will start at 12:30 p.m. Saturday: 250R, 350H, 500R, Intermission, KPH, 125H, 500H Sunday: 125R, 175H (2heats), 250H, 350R, 1100H
    Format/Rules NOT approved for records. Format/Rules: 4 laps of an approximate 3/4 mile course for classes, except KPH, which will run 3 laps. TYPE OF START: Clock start - all classes.

Prizes Olympic Style Medallions; Prize Money will be mailed by check according to USTS rules. Must be member of U.S.Title Series to qualify for prize money. Medals awarded 15 minutes after each day of racing.

Registration Friday: In Pits - 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. Saturday: In Pits - 8:00 a.m - 8:45 a.m. Sunday: NO registration.

Drivers Meeting Saturday & Sunday: in Pits - 11:00 a.m.

Send Entries To NO Mail-in Registration. May register at race or on-line at www.ustitleseries.org Email webmaster for log-on and password.
    Entry Fees KPH: $15.00 - All other classes: $35.00

Officials
    AsstRef: EDWIN G THIRLBY 145 ROMAN DR TRAVERSE CITY, MI 49684-8134
    Inspector: MARSHALL ELDREDGE 8030 COUNTY ROAD 48 YALAHA, FL 34797-3164
    RaceDir: KRISTI ELLISON 6208 BURNSIDE PLACE FAYETTEVILLE, NC 28311-2923
    Referee: NIC THOMPSON 7637 TIMBER RIVER CIRCLE ORLANDO, FL 32807-8351
    RiskMan: TOM CRONK 3528 LORI LN N LAKELAND, FL 33801-9340
    Scorer: SHIRLEY A SUMMERS 36788 N HELEN DR LAKE VILLA, IL 60046-5412

Notes Drivers may not test until they have registered. NO alcohol in pits. Saturday night Awards and Drivers' party. Please follow USTS dress code. A $50 charge will be collected by the USTS from anyone destroying a buoy.

This Regatta is Sanctioned through the APBA

All prizes are the reponsibility of the conduction club. APBA does not guarantee nor is it responsible for payment of prizes. You are advised this event may be canceled prior to the race due to cir***stances beyond the control of this association. If you plan to travel a long distance, it is recommended you contact the race sponsor prior to your departure to ensure this event will take place.

KRISTI ELLISON
    Attached Files
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Published: Tuesday, April 1, 2008
    LAKE WALES
    Boat Races to Aid Special Playground

The 2008 U. S. Title Series "Race For The Kids" will be held Saturday and Sunday on Lake Wailes.

More than 80 race teams from across the country are expected to compete in the race sanction by the American Power Boat Racing Association.

This will be the conclusion of the U.S. Title Series Florida Speed Week, which began the weekend before at Lake Hernando near Inverness.

Drivers will arrive Friday and start tuning and testing their boats.

The U.S. Title Series is a national racing series consisting of 10 different classes of the Professional Racing Outboard division of the American Powerboat Association.

Hybrid two-stroke engines will be raced on both hydroplane and runabout boat configurations. Speeds in many classes will reach or exceed 100 mph in these lightning-quick boats. Designed solely for racing, the methanol-powered engines can generate in excess of 13,000 RPMs.

Adults and children can meet the racers, see the boats up close, get autographs and take pictures from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday.

Music and games also will be played.

The three-day race festival is sponsored by the Lake Wales Kiwanis.

Proceeds from the weekend will be used to build Barney's Dream, an all-inclusive playground designed for special needs and able-bodied children at Kiwanis Park.

For more information contact Norm Kuehn at 863-676-8986.

Last modified: April 01. 2008 5:46AM
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Any word about the weather situation?

Comment

I heard people were hanging around yesterday waiting for the wind to die down so they could test.
        Sure hope somebody posts some results later!
        Twisted Sister

Comment

Saturday Results

1st of all we are alive and well and did not get blown to Orlando, but that did seem possible a couple of times today.

My congrats to Mike Bowers, the Kiwanis Club, and all others at Lake Wales who worked their hearts out for this one, including some of the best food vendors found on our circut, wow.

We were rained on, wind blown, and just generally had the dickens kicked out of us with the weather today. We were unable to finish the day, as we had a tremendous storm blow up at about 4:30 and stopped all racing. one heat of K-pro was finished-big wrecks in 125h and one heat of 500-hydro in. Will try to finish Saturday program on Sunday morning before regular program.

In 125H Billy Allen blew over going down front straightaway--ok and then David Augistine and Kristi Ellison collided at the entry to the bottom turn. All okay, but Kristi took a real whack in the back from David's engine, but she said she is okay.

K-Pro Wendy Eldridge-Kurtis Nydahl-Zack Maquire??CRS setting in on third
          Travis Ellison spun in the bottom turn so hard, it actually put the engine at a odd angle on the transom

500 Hydro--David Hooten-Brandon Thirlby-Jim War Wagon Wright
          Sean Mckean and David went to the first pin, with Brandon on the outside and only David and Brandon came out, as Sean took a slug of water into the Carb and hydroliced the number two piston and blew it up and out as it cracked the cylindar head. Sean told me that at first he thought he was upside down and started his go through of checking the belts and the air supply and begining the process of the escape routine. Fourtaaneltly not the case and he moves toward tomorrow.

In 250 R--Brandon Thirlby-Tim Small-Brian Payn 2/2/1 for Brandon.
          Tim Small had two 1st place finishes and blew it up in the 3rd heat. Buddy Tennell and Rich Krier collided at the start and put holes in Miss Laurie, Buddy's entry and Rich was able to start the 3rd heat.

350 Hydro--Mark Stahl-Chris Hellesten-Bruce Summers--Lots of GJ in this one as Gary Buskirk had speed, but Mark Stahl drove his heart out with the new MJR livery and did really well. Congrats to Mark, Wisconsin broke his heart, but this put him on the mend.

500R--Mike Thirlby-Pete Voss-Nic Nothe 1/1/1--need I say more?????
          Pete Voss continues on the mend and is driving even better than last as he now has 2 straight 2nd place finishes. Mike was superb in his driving and had the speed today.

My thanks to Robbie Galletta and our whole USTS team who perfomred heroically on the judges Stand. Shirley Summers, Bev Krier, Pat Augistine, Cooke Hookirk, Tammy Buskirk, Jackie Kammer, forgive if I forgot anyone,and our referee, Nic Thompson. Also thanks to my Bud, Paulie Bosnich who told me that he worked harder today than he did all week helping Kristi manage the pits and helping me get the 30 to the 3 count right.

Ray

Comment

Today

Mark Stahl won 350H. Honestly did see the rest, while repairing cylinder piston.

Only 1 heat of 125H, K PRO and 500H completed due to multiple storms.

3 125's damged during 1 heat with all drivers OK. Billy Allen came out of his boat or spun. Kristi and Dave Augustine traded paint in the turn 2. Again, all drivers ok. Very bad storms. 1 boat damaged.

Hope for better weather tomorrow.
            David Weaver

Comment

Thanks for the posts David. I just saw the pics from Joe and those are some really harsh conditions,...to say the least! I`m glad everybody came out okay after the various incidents. I was all set to go up to the lake this morning, but decided to call it off after I checked the weather forecast again late last night. I was so looking forward to the event.

Comment

Thanks for the update guy's. I hope you have better weather tomorrow.
                Mark
                G-11
                125H
                When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
                Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

Batten down the hatches!! I just now checked the weather in that vicinity, and on the radar it looks like hurricane Bubba is about an hour away!

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/ra...0Wales%2c%20FL

Comment

Left Lake Wales at about 5pm. Most of the EZups had been gathered up, hail stones swept away and the lake was lying down again. About a half hour South in Avon Park, NASGRASS was holding their first National event for Lawn Mowers. Wisconson, Michigan,Maryland and other States were all represented well. Don got some great pictures that I hope he sends up to Dan. Pete also got some good video for the new hydroracer video venue. The races were all LeMans start ten lappers. Just like Boat Racing, if you get the start your odds are you will maintain your position. Hard to pass on an eighth of a mile track.
                    The only down side was NO BEER TENT. That makes tomorrows decision on which race to attend a no brainer.
                    USTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

We ended up leaving during the 1st storm which came through I think around 2:30. The skies were black. Wanted to stick around to watch more--but my husband's face was wind burn. Mightly strong winds. Good racing! Way to keep the boats right side up (for most anyway). Was very impressed with the # of vendors there. Great food. Even a kid zone where you could take the kids to play on giant slides. Great annoucing! Not only kept the spectators informed but educated them as well. Again--a great run race!

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the info and especially for giving us the "all drivers OK." That was the most important thing said.

P.S. Some people just don't know to come in out of the rain...
                        Twisted Sister

Comment

Just got off the phone with my dad who is down at the race. Sounded like they had good water but only ran two heats of each class. Tim Small won 350 runabout, David Hooten won 500 Hydro with Brandon finishing second, Brandon won 700 Hydro w/ David finishing second. 250 Hydro was either Brandon or Billy Allen. Dad wasnt sure who won but said they each had a first and a second and Chris Helsten finishing third. Mike Thirlby won 500 runabout w/ Pete Voss finishing second and he thought Jared G taking third. This is all he thought were the results. Hope to see everybody in Depue.

Comment

Originally posted by FL47F View Post
                            Left Lake Wales at about 5pm. Most of the EZups had been gathered up, hail stones swept away and the lake was lying down again. About a half hour South in Avon Park, NASGRASS was holding their first National event for Lawn Mowers. Wisconson, Michigan,Maryland and other States were all represented well. Don got some great pictures that I hope he sends up to Dan. Pete also got some good video for the new hydroracer video venue. The races were all LeMans start ten lappers. Just like Boat Racing, if you get the start your odds are you will maintain your position. Hard to pass on an eighth of a mile track.
                            The only down side was NO BEER TENT. That makes tomorrows decision on which race to attend a no brainer.
                            USTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Pete,

If you get a chance please post a few clips to the new HR TV

Thanks
                            HTML Code:

Comment

2008 Race for the Kids

Thanks to all the folks who worked so hard to organize this event. Thanks to the USTS officials who braved treacherous wheather conditions and kept the show going. Thanks to the volunteers who stayed and cleaned-up ( and jeers to those who volunteered and left due to rain).

Despite the brutual weather conditions, we managed to put on an entertaining show for the spectators. Sunday's racing was particularly good until the weather once again set-in.

I enjoyed watching and racing with the European style boats. Their ability to handle rough water was very impressive.
                              David Weaver

Comment

Working...
                              X