2007 ZAK Award Winner Crowned at USTS Banquet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 ZAK Award Winner Crowned at USTS Banquet

Mike Krier and I are happy to announce the 2007 winner of the ZAK Award is Chris Hellsten of Orlando, Fl. Chris won the award by compiling the most points at USTS races in the 250 Runabout class. The award this year consisted of the following prizes donated by the names appearing along side the item, service, or cash awarded. The award was presented at the USTS banquet in Chicago a couple of weeks ago.

1 Thrilby Automotive 100.00 worth of racing sparkplugs
    2. Bill Tetro 150.00 cash
    3.Tim Small 150.00 worth of boat lettering
    4. Steve Litzell (VRP) 100.00 worth of racing shearpins
    5. Rex Hall (Rossi) 100.00 toward crankshaft rebuild
    6. Don Nichols 100.00 toward resleeving block
    7. Todd Brinkman(B&B Elect.) USTS 2008 membership
    8. Craig Dewald (Dewald Props) 1/2 cost of propeller
    9. Mike Krier (Krier Boats) 400.00 toward new boat or 200.00 on boat repair.
    10. Eileen& Bill Van Steenwyk 250.00 cash and permanent trophy

Total worth of award in cash/merchandise/and or services was in excess of 1500.00 and the large traveling trophy given to the winner to keep for one year is one of a kind built by Mike Krier.

The award is presented each year to the winner of the class with the lowest number of participants from the previous year, in USTS racing. The reasoning behind the award is to provide an incentive for drivers to join in racing in a class that may be down in driver count for one reason or another. This goes along with Harry Pasturczak's way of giving to the sport by helping anyone, anytime, no matter whether they were a customer of his or not. He also gave of his time in many other ways as an official, pulled the USTS rescue boat/equipment trailer to the races for many years, and was the PRO Nationals referee for many years also. The reason behind the award seems to be working, as it has never failed to increase the number of participants in the chosen class the next year. For 2008 the class is 350 Runabout.

So as to illustrate the caliber of drivers who have won the award in the past, they are listed by year below. If anyone wants to participate in donations to the awardfor 2008, please contact Mike Krier or myself. There is no minimum donation required.

CONGRATULATIONS CHRIS, YOU ARE IN SOME VERY GOOD COMPANY.....

1994 PETER CROWLEY
    1995 EDDIE THRILBY
    1996 MIKE KRIER
    1997 JIM KIRTS
    1998 EDDIE THRILBY
    1999 EDDIE THRILBY
    2000 DOUG HALL
    2001 TIM BRINKMAN
    2002 TOM BRINKMAN
    2003 CHRIS HELLSTEN
    2004 TIM SMALL
    2005 JEFF KUGLER
    2OO6 BRIAN PAYN
    2007 CHRIS HELLSTEN

Thank you to all the contributors who have made the award what it is since its inception. Since the first one in 1994 over $16,000.00 in cash and merchandise has been donated and awarded to the winners.
    Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 11-27-2007, 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Hellsten......check your spelling Bill ...I will post the pictue when I get home.

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
    Tomtall 06

Comment

Oop"s

Sorry about the misspelling of Chris's last name. I should be more cognizant of things like that, the way my own has been butchered over the years. Hope it doesn't cause a problem when the check is cashed.

Comment

Congratulations "little" brother!!
        Attached Files

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
        Tomtall 06

Comment

Thanks Kristi

thanks for posting the picture. It is appreciated.

Bill

Comment

Working...
          X