Garage Heat ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Heat ?

Long time lurker first time posting. I just built a new 25x35 garage and am investigating heating options. So far it looks like "Infrared" is a strong contender. If any of you experienced garage / shop guru’s can offer any friendly direction I would appreciate it.

On another note, I am about ready to purchase a CSR kit from Darrel Sorensen. It's been...............let's see now about 36 years since my last boat building experience (AB Runabout and a B Hydro). I'm looking forward to getting started I have a lot to do and a lot to learn. Darrell has been great, very patient with all my questions.

Anyway my goal is to try and get it finished in time to get some seat time prior to the Top O Mich marathon in 2007. If not this event then I'll look for others to get me feet wet so t speak . Looking forward to meeting some of you local Midwest folks give me a shout, always glad to chat.

THX
    Sam

Welcome Sam
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Garage heat..........

Sam, if you're going to spend as much time in your garage as I spend in mine, spend the money and put a 1 1/2 ton Heat Pump in it.........warm in the Winters and cool in the Summers. You will be glad you did!

Welcome back!
      DickTyndall 74-E

Comment

shop heat

Well seeings how you have already built it, my favorite, in floor heat is out I guess. Using a fairly efficient water heater and plastic pipe it works well for keep the shop at an even temp. Its probably not recommended to use it to heat the shop to 60 or above. But great for heating to 45-50 degrees. supplement with a gas air heater for when you in the shop or have epoxy curing.

Gene
        Gene Schertz 26V
        TEAM CAFFEINE
        Cranked up and ready to Roll
        Reeds for Speed!

Comment

what I've used . . .

Electric space heaters, a pair of 24,000 btu heaters w/fans. Everytime I fired them up I'd her a high pitched whine. That would be the electric meter disk turning about 287,000 RPM

Also used a variety of kerosene heaters. Hated those, always gave me a headache.

My future plan, had I stayed in that nice 650 sq foot garage in VA, was a heat pump, like Dick Tyndall said. My garage was insulated so a heat pump would have worked without the aforementioned electric meter disk whine.
          carpetbagger

Comment

I am in the process of building a 3 car garage. Purchased a 90+ percent efficient 45,000 Btu furnace. Hung it from the ceiling and directed the heat to the North end of the building. Put the cold air return at the floor level on the south end of the building. Installed ceiling fans to help get the heat down to floor level (garage is 3 and one half car and has 12 foot ceilings). Garage walls are insulated R 19. There is a heated second floor above the garage to be used as a workshop.

A/C is from floor above garage. I am hoping the cool air will migrate down the stairway.

Thought this was the least expensive for installation and future energy costs.

Good luck with your project.

Charlie Pater

Comment

Sam...I hope you get your boat done in time for the Top O. We had 26 CSR entries this year. It would be great to have you join us. It's always nice to see that there are still people ready to abuse their bodies for the sake of fun. Have you ever run the Top O before?

Bob

Comment

My shop is part of an old barn well insulated. i salvaged an old water heater and 3 old cast iron radiators. set it up so the cold return comes in the bottom of the water heater at the drain with a t added a expansion tank at the top (an old 10 gal. air compressor tank because i had it) and heated the shop for very little (all winter for what it cost to heat my house for less than 2 months) when the propane bottle ran out it took a couple of days to loose the heat in the water and iron. plus it does not blow dust around the shop

Comment

Working...
                X