HokeyHydro is back in action!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HokeyHydro is back in action!

No, I'm not building race boats, I'm building a pirogue (PEE-row), sometimes called a Cajun canoe. The design of a pirogue is simplicity. Pirogues were used in the bayou swamps for transportation, hunting, and fishing, and propelled by paddles or poles. Since I had no actual plans, just sketchs and pictures, I didn't sacrifice okume or beautiful sapella marine plywood on my pirogue, I used cheesy 5.2mm (3/16") luan. If I like exploring all the creeks around my new home in the pirogue I may build a pretty one or better yet, a pretty cedar strip canoe!

Attached a pic of the pirogue under construction. Yes, the HokeyHydro factory still works under it's motto: Hammer to fit - file to shape - paint to hide!
    Attached Files
    carpetbagger

I don't mean to be too critical, maybe I am wrong, but it may need a bottem.
    !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

Bill.................

Guess Linda ran out of things for you to do!! Glad to see your back doing what keeps you keepin on'........

Oh, by the way the Retro Mr Phil look in the previous post is totally in for the Holiday Season. Keep the jokes coming Pop-Pop!!!

Matt

Comment

Ha!

No way, Matt, the Honey-Do list is rather long, but I do get an occasional break. Next break I'll work on the bottom, that should ease Phil's concern
        carpetbagger

Comment

I thought about building a pirogue. I like 'em. Do they have any rocker in the bottom or are they dead flat from bow to stern?

Your work looks good. Are the cross members removed once the hull is complete? Looks like they are screwed in place for removing them later.
          Last edited by Bill Blackwell; 12-04-2006, 11:36 AM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

pirogue has rocker . . .

Dang, guess I won't be able to run it in ASH (note to 14H)

The sides are 10" to 12" wide and straight cut on this one, so when they are bowed out to form a hull shape it induces rocker. If you use a couple 1/2" PVC pipes for a drawing batten and *cup* the bottom edge of the side panels you could remove some or all of the rocker. I didn't do that, to much work for a slacker boy like me, and having some rocker makes the boat easier to maneuver. One could add a keel to help tracking, but I'm going to attempt learning to paddle in a straight line.

Yep, crossmembers come out. I used frames because I'm sorta fitting stuff as I go, but I'm sure with carefully cut panels a pirogue could be assembled "stitch & glue" with no frames at all.
            carpetbagger

Comment

ATTN: PopPop

Pirogue with bottom and seal coat of resin. Next up, 6 oz glass cloth.
              Attached Files
              carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
              X