A Diet That Works: Boat Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Diet That Works: Boat Racing

I’ll let you in on a secret, just between you and me. I’ve always been a big guy. I’m just under 6 ft 3 inches and I’ve been so since high school. Football coaches never really gave me a choice of positions. They would look at me compared to the other players and say, “Ritchie, you’re playing line”. My only choice was between playing offensive or defensive line.

So being a big guy, boat racing is an unlikely choice of sport for me both back when I raced as a teenager and now. From my first race at 15 years old in ASH to my most recent race in CSH at Millville, NJ last month in an Arltralite carbon fiber boat, I’ve never had to add lead to my boat or even worry about being close to making weight.

But I’ve noticed a strange coincidence that happened when I raced as a teen and now.

I lose weight on weekends that I race boats.

After trying to lose weight all this past winter, or at least trying to hold steady through the holidays, and only seeing the scale change very slowly, I’ve had a quick four pound weight loss after racing at Wilson, NC and Millville, NJ back to back.

How do I account for the weight loss? It’s not dieting in the real since. I sat elbow to elbow with everyone else at Wilson, NC eating my plate of pulled pork bar-b-que and potato salad. And several times I successfully maneuvered around Ryan Runne who was guarding the Yuengling tap until it went dry mysteriously under his watch.

I think what happens is this. Beginning when I get ready to leave for a boat race, cursing myself while finishing all the things I should have done over the winter that I never got around to, while running around my house and garage collecting all the things on my checklist, to the morning of a race when I never feel like I have enough time to get my rig together let alone help Austin get his boat set up and I’m darting place to place, to grabbing the camera and rushing to a vantage point on the race course to shoot a series of photos then back to the pits, to delaying lunch and then delaying lunch again because of a postponed race schedule (and you just CAN’T go and race on a full stomach, can you?) I’m in such a frenzy of activity that I don’t even notice that I’m eating less or that I’m even hungry at all. My mind is simply too busy thinking about other things and my body is burning calories at a rate far above my normal metabolism.

So why am I sharing all this personal information with you? It’s my contribution to help the sport of boat racing. The next time your spouse/girlfriend/significant other remarks that you may be carrying some extra flab that needs to be removed, you can proudly answer, “Honey, I have the perfect solution. It’s a proven way to lose weight. I need to go boat racing!!!"
    Last edited by Mark 72@E; 05-21-2006, 03:17 PM.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    Former Boat Racer
    21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
    20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Expanding life jacket syndrome

Isn't it amazing how much better the life jacket fits on the 1st of September than it did on the 1st of June. I can even breathe when I put it on after Labor Day. However it still requires a 2 inch "fatstrap" in the zipper.

Comment

Concurence

For all those girls out there...it is a weight loss program! I loose about five pounds in the two or three weeks between Constantine, Depue and Rochelle. so when your guys ask if you wanna help out at the races, don't delay! Jump on the trailer or in a boat, take a ride and see what it's all about. Having fun that is!
      64W & 22B

Comment

This is no shaggy boat story..............

Back in the days of the dinosaur, I could count on 7 to 8 pounds loss over the racing season. Sigh..... 'Course, there were also 4 elims of A stock every weekend and endless switching of motors and boats.

Comment

This is funny, because last year at the Mod Nats. in Franklin I gained 8 lbs in the 4-5 days we were there!
          Ryan Runne
          9-H
          Wacusee Speedboats
          ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_4z
            This is funny, because last year at the Mod Nats. in Franklin I gained 8 lbs in the 4-5 days we were there!
            And then you burped . . .
            carpetbagger

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_4z
              Now if that is not a ringing endorcement, I don't know what is. And it would look good on a T-shirt, if we ever do Nationals again!

Franklin Mod Nationals
              At other Nationals you go home with a just T-shirt but here, we also send 8lbs of fun!
              Brian 10s

Comment

Working...
              X