E-17 Neil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-17 Neil

Any information about this boat would be appreciated. Especially any pictures of it on the water and name of driver.
    Thanks in advance!

-Andrea

Andrea, The only E-17 I have found belonged to Caspar F. Smith of Richmond, VA. He was a registered A hydro driver from 1939 through 1951.
    broccoli

Comment

• BROCCOLI
      BROCCOLI commented
      Editing a comment
      In Feb, 2014, PropfxrO84 posted something on this sight about the same boat.

That would make sense. The boat was found in a basement in Virginia. I saw the old post but didn't find any additional information.
    Thank you!

Comment

That is a Neal single step hydro, built by Dick Neal of Kansas City,probably built in the late 1930's or maybe after WWII in the 40's. I never raced a Neal but I tested a Champion Hot Rod on one that belonged to a friend. The single step design ran very good in rough water. I did own and race a single step Fillinger hydro in the '50's. Now as an Advanced Senior Citizen, I only race runabouts.
      Last edited by T Chance; 10-16-2015, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Wow........... The boat looks in really good condition. Great find.

There still has to be a lot of stuff out there in basements and garages.

Are you going to try and find a motor to put on it? Or, do you already have one.

Craig..... Where did you find that information? What motor would that have been?.... SR, KR, PR ?
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• BROCCOLI
          BROCCOLI commented
          Editing a comment
          The membership roster in the 1940 APBA rule book lists members by racing number.

That is an A alky..Used a Johnson 2 cyl. KR engine..My uncle raced them in Region 1 for many years and also sold many gallons of racing alky. He raced with Ferguson, C. Strang, Neil and Jacoby under the New England Outboard Racing Assoc.. It was an all pro outboard club before South Shore Outboard Assoc.

Comment

My friend restored a boat like this a few years ago. It was in terrible shape when he started(there were holes in the bottom from rotting wood). As you can see, it now looks better than new. At one time it was owned by Paul Wearly (his name was etched in the back of the steering hub). I got to drive it once with the KG-4.

Comment

Working...
          X