Passing of Jim Komorowski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing of Jim Komorowski

One of Region 7's retired Stock Outboard drivers has passed away. Jim Komorowski, long time DSR driver, won many Wisconsin High point titles in DSR and also ran very well in the old 36 runabout class. Jim loved boat racing and never missed a club meeting for decades. He also ran Tunnels for a number of years as well. I bet some of the older members of Hydroracer have a few good stories about Jim. He was a character who will be missed.
    Tom Kargus 10W

Here is his obituary:

James T. Komorowski
    James T. Komorowski age 73 of Oshkosh died Tuesday morning June 14, 2005 at Aurora Medical Center. Jim was born in Milwaukee on August 23, 1931. He married LaVerne Hansen on January 31, 1959 at St. Peter's Catholic Church in Oshkosh.
    Jim was a faithful member of St. Peter’s Catholic Church in Oshkosh. Served his Country in the National Guard during the Korean Conflict. Jim was the owner/operator of Komorowski lathing and drywall. He was a member of the Carpenter’s union local 955 of Appleton. He was an avid hunter and outdoorsman and loved spending time at the family cabin. His favorite hobby and love was boat racing, Jim was the WI high point champ for 13 consecutive years, charter member of the WI Grand Prix marine Association, member of the A.P.B.A., W.P.B.R.A and was a World Record Holder for Stock Runabout. He was also a member of the South Side Ice Yacht Club.
    Jim is survived by his wife LaVerne. Three sons: Tim Komorowski, Kevin (Pat) Komorowski, Brian (Jean) Komorowski and one daughter: Laure (Trent) Morgan all of Oshkosh, WI. Four grandchildren Jacob, Olivia, Brooklyn, and JaceyJo, five step-grandchildren. Nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends.
    He was preceded in death by his mother Florence Wright, one brother Edward and two sisters Dorothy and Beatrice.
    Funeral Services will be held at the Poklasny Funeral Home on Thursday June 16, 2005 at 7 p.m., Father Robert Kollath will officiate. Family and friends may gather at the Poklasny Funeral Home on Thursday from 3 p.m. until the hour of service 7 p.m. Committal services will be held on Friday at Lake View Memorial Park.
    Jim’s family would like to thank Dr. Dar and his entire staff and the entire staff at Aurora Medical Center, they would also like to thank the nurses with the Palliative Hospice program for all the care and concern that they gave Jim.
    The family has asked that in Lieu of flowers a memorial fund has been established in Jim’s name.

I know many of those who read Hydroracer don't know Jim. He raced almost exclusively in region 7.

When I was a kid, he was my Grandfathers' most fierce rival in DSR for years.
    Whenever we could beat Jim it was an acomplishment. There was a time where he was probably the best DSR in the country but Jim never really put a lot of emphasis on the nationals. If he had, I think he could have been a multiple time national champ.

He always ran natural, bleach finish boats that he built and they were beautiful. His boats carried an orange 52-W with a green 55H and a Polish Racing Team decal on the side.

When Jim left stocks for tunnels, the DSR tradition stayed alive with his son Kevin who I raced against a number of times.

Even though myself and many others have lost touch with the Komorowskis'
    I know we all feel the loss and feel for his family. All of boat racing has lost a truly nice man.

Tim
    Tim Weber

Comment

Good friend and great driver

Jim and I started racing in 1956 in the DSR class, having been friends
      growing up on the west shore of Lake Winnebago and watching the
      Winnebagoland Marathon. Thats what got us started racing.
      We competed against each other for over 20 years, and hunted and fished
      together when we were not racing. I will always treasure the many great races we had.

God Speed Jim...

Norm Schaub

Comment

How has time flyed by! I had a just few beers with Jim when I was in Wisconsin during the summer of 1976. GREAT GUY! Will racing ever be the same? Us old guys lose so many friend now-a-days. Hi Tommy and Norm.
        R. C. Hawie

Comment

Late nights after meetings

Jim attended almost every Wisconsin Powerboat Racing Association monthly meeting ever held. Many times we would sit around after the meeting and remember the old racing days and enjoyed some of our favorite beverages.

Cooper

Comment

I raced againest Jim and Norm for many years in the 70's and they both were the ones to beat! On tight river courses Jim's acceleration was unbelieveable. Any time I beat him(or Norm), usually on the bigger courses with my Stippich Quack, it was very memorable. I remember attending the Wisc. Powerboat meetings in Oshkosh and then going out to hit a few of the hot spots with Jim, Henry Menzies, my racing partner, Erv Julien and we told stories and lied how fast we were to the wee small. I don't know how Henry could ever hold a Dentist's drill steady the next day and I was always careful to schedule my appointments at other times! Miss you buddy! Jon
            Jon Walters

Comment

Working...
            X