Start and Park in NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start and Park in NASCAR

I watched the two Daytona Qualifying races yesterday and listened to all the babbling about who is going to transfer etc. etc. All this hoopla about which 2 "Start and Park" drivers aren't going to make the final field. Look at most of the drivers at the tail end of the lineup. A whole bunch of them will run a minimum of laps, collect tens of thousands of dollars, and quit with some lame excuse. NASCAR should be ashamed to allow this practice to continue. There are a lot of race drivers who would give anything to compete in a major race; I mean really compete - do their best and run the entire 500 miles. Not start and park.

Watched the entire two races and hate the start & park teams. The first race had some excitement, the second was boring. Hope the 500 will have some action. Lets see how long Danica will last. Actually the modified race was very exciting the other night. Plenty of action. Just my oponion....Bob

Comment

Yea. Kinda cool, first time ever 2 girls will be on the front row.
      Mark 55P
      Team Tower
      Hydroplane Division

Comment

I guess it is True

Asphalt really is for *******.
        Dave Mason
        Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by T Chance View Post
          I watched the two Daytona Qualifying races yesterday and listened to all the babbling about who is going to transfer etc. etc. All this hoopla about which 2 "Start and Park" drivers aren't going to make the final field. Look at most of the drivers at the tail end of the lineup. A whole bunch of them will run a minimum of laps, collect tens of thousands of dollars, and quit with some lame excuse. NASCAR should be ashamed to allow this practice to continue. There are a lot of race drivers who would give anything to compete in a major race; I mean really compete - do their best and run the entire 500 miles. Not start and park.
          Did you know the qualifying for this years Daytona 500 was revamped partly because of what you're complaining about?

Only up to 7 teams will be getting a starting spot based on 2012 team points. The old top 35 in owners points is gone.

So racing your way into the 500 in an under-funded team is a big deal now.

And yes, the Yeley's and Bliss's, (ect) will always be out early.

I'm more worried about the gen 6 car creating so much dirty air behind them to stop the 2 car tandem that it will make for as boring of a race as gen 4 cars did on plate tracks.

Comment

Water and Ashphalt are both fun

Having raced both on water and on ashphalt, I believe you can have just as much fun on both surfaces. At least on water there are no walls to hit. A few weeks ago I was able to go for a ride in my son's Corvette at Sebring during a test session. It has been a long time (1999 at Rockingham) since I had been in a race car and let me tell you it is a violent feeling being a passenger with all of the turning, braking and acceleration available with 500hp and super sticky tires.

I met with Mike Skinner yesterday and he told me that he is retiring since he does not like being part of the start and park gang. So there will be one less out there this year.

David

PS Bob R., I was at Daytona for the Modified race the other night. I thought I was back at Riverhead Raceway watching Steve Park, Mike Stefanick, Ted Christopher and a lot of other North East drivers show the California boys how it is done. I am still getting pieces of rubber from between my teeth, LOL

Comment

Originally posted by mark5pa View Post
              Yea. Kinda cool, first time ever 2 girls will be on the front row.
              Now THAT is FUNNY!!
              "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

Yea, there were several Long Island cars there. Steve has the #20 modified that his uncle Bill Parks runs at Riverhead. I was impressed with Kyle Larson in his first time in a modified # 7 NY the number Tom Baldwin ran. He was in a position to win until the tire went.

Comment

Originally posted by T Chance View Post
                  When it comes to car racing and ya want to see what we racers call real races you have to go to the smaller local tracks and watch people like Brandon there you will see gut racing like boat racers like.

Sprint cup is all about the Dollar as it should be cause there is were the money comes from that keeps the sport healthy.
                  When I was a kid on long island there was Hempstead,Islip,westhampton Drag way,Riverhead raceway,Bridgehampton,National speedway. All great time's with my Dad ( he was Pit crew for peg leg Bill Shindler) and Uncle. Now just Riverhead Raceway and real good competition. No start and park at smaller events.

Racers should go to these races--I hit Riverhead Raceway from time to time still good competition.

I'm Moving up near Watkins Glenn in May there are several other small tracks there and thats where I will be on weekends when not at a USTS race.

Whife loves races as she had a hopped up Mustang in the 70's I know she is going to bug me to get a Hot Rod after we move from L.I. I guess I will.

Pat

Comment

Long Island tracks

Pat

Do not forget New York National Raceway at Center Morchies, we used to run BMSP or C Altered there. It is a housing development now.

I still have the original plans our office used in the design of the Islip Speedway circle track in the 1940's. In the late 1960's or early 70's we designed an industrial park that now takes up the whole site. I also remember this as the Islip Airport before the Speedway was built.

David

Comment

David you are showing you age--was a great place to race Long Island yes I rember national I guess I just mentioned its name wrong (reread my posty) my uncle usd to race a hot rod there and I would tag along.
                      He also sponsored several modifieds at riverhead up till he passed on about 7 years ago--he used to drag me to many races back in the day.

Pat

real cool your family has such a great history.

Comment

Sorry

Pat I missed the comma,, LOL
                        David

Comment

I thought I was on Hydro Racer,

Comment

Originally posted by stevegray View Post
                            I thought I was on Hydro Racer,
                            Note what forumn this is posted to... Gerneral non racing
                            Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                              Asphalt really is for *******.
                              You really think so Dave? Yeah right

Horrific crash involving Kyle Larson mars end of NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Daytona http://blog.masslive.com/racinwithja...ona_video.html

http://bcove.me/ogzs5odc
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by HRTV; 02-23-2013, 03:38 PM.
                              HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Working...
                              X