Just released today! Nikon D80 10.2 Megapixels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just released today! Nikon D80 10.2 Megapixels

The D80 features a 10.2 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor. Optimized to capture sharp details and yield extraordinarily high-resolution images, this new sensor provides plenty of freedom to crop creatively or print impressive enlargements. And its class-leading resolution is only matched by its ability to outperform its predecessors.

Nikon D80
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Three thoughts

Our camera is a Nikon D70 which was replaced by the D70s. The D80 looks to be a replacement for the D70s. If so, you'll start to see price drops on the D70s as the D80 supply becomes plentiful thus making the D70s and good buy at $100 or more in savings.

The extra megapixels in the D80 and the D200 don't mean a thing if photos are out-of-focus. This is my biggest challenge right now -- getting in-focus shots consistently. By in-focus I mean you can zoom in on a photo with software such as Photoshop and still have detail at 2x, 4x, and 8x zoom. When shots this detailed are printed 8" x 10" the typical reaction is "WOW!".

Here's real life example of frames per second (FPS). Holding down the shutter button, I took a series of shots this week of my nephew diving into a swimming pool -- backflips, handstands, and forward somersaults. At 3 frames per second (D70, D70s, D80) I was able to consistently capture A) Just before takeoff or takeoff, B) midflight at the apex, C) in the water. So at 3 FPS what I didn't capture was him entering the water - no "walking on water" shots, no partial entry shots with lots of splash, no funny looks as he entered the water. I suspect this is what the D200 at 5 FPS would provide.

So a D70s or D80 is a better selection for you if the additional FPS is not worth the extra money of a D200. For some photographers, the "one that got away" haunts us...
    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    Former Boat Racer
    21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
    20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

I don't know much about lenes and things... but at what point is the MP beyond what a person can use? Are the lenses good enough to make use of these resolutions even if on a tripod? I've seen pocket cameras with 8mp... surely a pocket camera lenes can't make use of the resolutions? With stuff like this coming out the 6mp and 8mp DSLR's will get really cheap.
      Fralick Racing
      Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Megapixels

Andrew,

I can't address all your questions and comments but here's what I know. For digital SLR's like Nikon makes, higher megapixels translate into one of two things. Both assume you have a well focused shot (which I've learned is not as simple as point and shoot).

1) You're in a turn boat at one end of the course but the action is at the other turn. You snap a shot but the boat only fills about 1/3 of your picture. With higher megapixels you can crop and enlarge the shot and still get a decent 8" x 10" print. With lower megapixels the shot would become noticeably distorted as it is enlarged to the point where you would see the actual pixels.

2) If you have a shot where the boat fills most of the frame then higher megapixels mean you can print a larger, distortion-free photo. I can only print 8" x 10" at home. But I have access to 11" x 14" printing at work and 24" x 36" printing via my brother-in-law who lives 15 minutes away. Or I could send them electronically to an online photo finishing shop to be printed in any size I want. If you ever see that perfect photo of yourself then you'll want it as big as you can get it.

And you're right - shopping for a camera based soley on megapixels is misleading. That would be like choosing a prop because it gives you the highest top end -- forgetting that you have to make two left turns in every lap.
        @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
        72@E
        Former Boat Racer
        21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
        20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Working...
        X