Photos from Hinton, WV 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos from Hinton, WV 2012

Austin and I came to Hinton, WV this year as spectators, not racers. My last racing trip to Hinton was in 1974. If what we witnessed and experienced this weekend is the level of support the town will provide boat racing in the future then the Stock Outboard Commission should APPROVE WITHOUT HESITATION any bid for a Nationals to be held here.

Here are six random shots from Saturday.

1S - Eric VanOver, multiple trophy winner Saturday.
    17F - Bill Walker, a winner in my book.
    24A - Fast Jack better be fast. He has to make the 16 hour trip back to Maine after racing is finished Sunday and report to school by 10:00 AM.
    53E - A first place trophy now belongs to Sam.
    10S - Frank Novotny tries out a new ride.
    62E - The boat number keeps changing but Jerry Davids never stops winning.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark 72@E; 06-04-2012, 09:30 AM.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    Former Boat Racer
    21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
    20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hinton Nationals

I agree with Mark...the West Virginia Water Festival Race Committee pulled out all the stops in supporting this race. We need a National Event in Hinton as soon as we can get it scheduled!! Summers County/Hinton West Virginia is fully behind boat racing...we need to reciprocate!

Fred

Comment

Hinton, WV 2012 Saturday

TOP PHOTO - The view from turn 2 looking west towards the pits and judges stand. The main road, Route 20, is the ridge line you see above the pits and it was lined with spectators. YES, SPECTATORS!
      1F - Becky Nichols charges to a first place in AXSR
      46E - Austin Price in close AXSR action
      F45 - Abby Pond running in 125CCH - (thanks to all who helped identify)
      8E - John Mauck on his way to a first place win in 250CCMH
      BOTTOM PHOTO - Peace Out, until we post pics from Sunday's racing, but it won't be Sunday night.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mark 72@E; 06-04-2012, 03:06 AM.
      @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
      72@E
      Former Boat Racer
      21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
      20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Just taking a guess based on helmet and hair, but the 125 looks like Abby Pond.

Sign me up for a Nationals return to Hinton. I miss that view from the turn boats.

Comment

125 Hydro

Originally posted by D_Allen_III View Post
          Just taking a guess based on helmet and hair, but the 125 looks like Abby Pond.

Sign me up for a Nationals return to Hinton. I miss that view from the turn boats.
          I think your right. Abby got a taste of the speed at Winter Haven and I think she's hooked! Good job Abby.

Bruce

Comment

Yep, it's Abby, one of the three women running in 125 hydro this weekend. Abby, Kristi Ellison and Kate Augustine was running her first race in 125. A side note, I'm almost as happy as she was! She went out and came back both heats and her first question to Ian was "Dad, how much are these..."

Dave
            I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
            The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

hahahahaha ...

Originally posted by Dave_E71 View Post
              Yep, it's Abby, one of the three women running in 125 hydro this weekend. Abby, Kristi Ellison and Kate Augustine was running her first race in 125. A side note, I'm almost as happy as she was! She went out and came back both heats and her first question to Ian was "Dad, how much are these..."

Dave
              Ian, you better sign up for OT.
              carpetbagger

Comment

The Things We Remember............

Originally posted by D_Allen_III View Post

The view from the patrol boat in turn 2 is unreal.............the upper road (cliff) was lined with hundreds of people!!

When Luce and the field of open stack D Mods took the water the mountain echoed for 30 seconds after the heat was over!

We laid out a little over a mile course with a true 500 foot buoy and NO committment buoy. "Tight" 5 pin turns were the set up and turn one was close to shore right in front of the bleachers the town set up!!

I was taken back by the 'agencies' that came out in force both local and state!! They had a workforce similar to 1997 when we hosted the last 600 plus boat Nationals. DNR had a small army of ARMED patrols looking to sink any pleasure boats that dared enter the area......

Good stuff.

Comment

Anyone know any results? Good turnout? Matt, How did you and Mighty Mel do?
                  sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Turnout

Originally posted by DiGia54D View Post
                    Anyone know any results? Good turnout? Matt, How did you and Mighty Mel do?
                    110 enteries Saturday............

Mighty Mel won the first heat of CSH and went on the wrong side of the 500 foot buoy coming to the start for heat 2!!

Jesse Rueling wound up winning and Chris Johnson second and i believe Mel wound up third. 10 CSH's. Largest class.

Jesse won the Travis Pond Award at the banquet for winning the class with the most enteries. Gary, Marsha, Aimie and Abby were all in attendence. The awards were great. Trophies and a feast catered by Pizza Hut. The Water Festival hosted the banquet and all the food and drinks were great!

Many APBA National Commissioners were there from the PRO, Stock and MOD Division. Also J Class Chair Buddy Tennell was here. The Hinton race committee will evaluate the event but it looks like they may be in Fort Worth for the 2013 National Meeting to lobby for a major National event.

Nothing has changed in Hinton since 1997 when we were there last time............the Bluestone Cabins and town are all the same. Maybe the mountains have gotten taller?????

Comment

Thanks Matt!!!
                      sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

The Usual Suspects in the Hinton Pits

Here's a few photos from the pits....
                        Attached Files
                        Tom Burwinkle
                        11-K
                        sorracing.yolasite.com/

Comment

More Pics.............

View from the upper road!!............
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ride home from Hinton

yielded many wildlife viewing opportunities this afternoon thanks to a decision to hop off the Interstate and take Skyline Drive part of the way home

Dave and I got to see
                            Several Deer
                            Male turkey (no picture, he walked into high grass before Dave could grab the camera)
                            Female turkey (no picture, she took off running when I slowed down...d*a*m*n* turkeys)
                            Mother bear and 2 cubs - first time Dave and I have ever seen a bear in the wild - awesome, worth the $15 entry fee and 35 mph speed limit for a few hours! Bear pic 1 is one of the cubs, bear pic 2 is mom
                            3 Long Horn Steer (in Sperryville)
                            2 Whistle Pigs
                            Attached Files

Comment

A few pics

Here are a few more pictures from Hinton.
                              Attached Files
                              Jeff
                              5-P

Comment

Working...
                              X