Grand Rapids,Mi.,Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Rapids,Mi.,Memories

New Years resolution 2008 is get orginized. Cleaning out the photo cabinet today and thought I would post some pictures I came across of a early
    1990's Grand Rapids,Michigan race I attended. Tim Sidor was a huge part of putting this race on in his home town of GR along with Michigan Hydroplane Assoc.. Maybe you'll recognize some boats and drivers from the past.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tomtall; 12-29-2007, 03:00 PM.
    Tom L.

Last Group

Last grouping
    Attached Files
    Tom L.

Comment

Tom: Great photos. Were you there the year Rombrg flipped waving to the judge's stand before the start?
      14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Ed - Had to check and see but I believe this was the t-shirt from that year. 1989. It was I believe the first year 45ss class ran at Grand Rapids. I believe Harold Nauss and I did inspection for that class. Been a few years ago.
        I also found a Dayton picture from that time period as well with the 14H hydro sitting on the banks.Was that you?
        Attached Files
        Tom L.

Comment

1989 Grand Rapids

45ss pictures.
          Attached Files
          Tom L.

Comment

1989 Dayton,Oh.

A young Ed Hearn?
            Attached Files
            Tom L.

Comment

Doc Adams Memorial Regatta.

Tom, Great pictures, Brings back a lot of good memories of what was the Doc Adams Memorial Regatta. The Merc Challenge was a big event in those days and it was the first year we had the 45ss tunnels , they sure have changed in design as well as some of the Hydros and Runabouts.We always used to draw a good turnout of entries and had a great party afterwards at my parents house for a spagetti dinner.

Comment

20h vs. hot rod

I remember John Broge in the black and white TEAM CASUAL BSR WOOPING THE HOT RODS WITH THE 20H MERC. WHAT A SIGHT . GOOD TIMES . ALSO THE GREAT SPAGETTI DINNER MRS. SIDOR COOKED UP !!!!!!

Comment

Oh the memories

One of the first few boat races I attended in 1977 was the Doc Adams Memorial, always a wonderfully run race, the dinner at the Sidor's was always fun and the spagetti great, most of you may not know the Constantine race is what was the Doc Adams race, I believe a schedualing problem with the city caused the race to move and we never went back, Tim would be the expert on this subject, also the race in the pitchures was moved south from were we normaly ran a few hundred yards up the river. Tim always worked hard as he does now to put on the race, taking over from his dad and the other folks who used to be Western Mich Hydroplane before the big merger. It's hard to believe it's been that long since we raced there, gonna be 20 years before we know it.

Kerry

Comment

good times

Thanks for the pics Tom. The ugly 1-S boat was mine in 20ssh and Csh. I painted it myself,,,can ya tell? Sure not going anywhere in the second pic with the prop out of the water??
                    That boat was ugly because of my paint job, but one of the fastest my dad built. I won CSH 2-US with it that year and is still one of the many in my father's storage shed.
                    I am a parrothead (jimmy buffett fan) so i was trying to paint the boat coral in color so I could call the boat, "the coral reefer" from the name of jimmy's band.
                    I ended up with a crappy dull orange color....add some poorly painted numbers and waalaa!
                    In my family, that boat ended up with a name as many do. Still to this day we call it the "Joan Loretta".
                    The year before this race I had Bobby Austin paint a 20 runabout and put my now ex-wifes name on the nose as it's name. My father went nuts and explained that he hated it when guys put ladies names on boats!!!
                    My brothers and I lost it laughing....so the name stuck...just to tease poor dad we called it our mother's full name!
                    http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Tomtall View Post
                      A young Ed Hearn?
                      Tom: You're right. That was May of my freshman year at Purdue: almost 20 years ago!

Add: Also, this is a very rare photo showing me running a Hot Rod that was not blue.
                      Last edited by 14-H; 12-30-2007, 03:30 PM.
                      14-H

Comment

Doc Adams Memorial Regatta

This was always the first race of the year for us when I started racing Js in the late 1970's. Like Dayton, it was usually cold.

Remember the year that we went to the Sidor's house for spagetti on Saturday night and Jim Fox's Runabout was standing up against a tree in the back yard?
                        14-H

Comment

Dayton Photo

Final Add: Also, if you look very closely at the young lad standing on the other side of the hydro in the jean jacket, you'll notice he has the same orange and black "His-N-Her'n" racing pants on. That's Richard with long hair and an aqua blue baseball hat on.
                          14-H

Comment

Nice legs Ed!!!!!! I don't remember your spandex racing suit. Mikey
                            mike ross

Comment

I remember Grand Rapids pretty well. Was actually the first course that I won on. Ended up taking Kenny Larkins out in milling then the restart i ended up winning..
                              Youngest Member of the Flyer Raceboat Gang

Comment

Working...
                              X