X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's just an opinion.
    John Runne
    2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

you had to know someone would say it....

You know what opinions are like....
      "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

We do battle on the race coarse against each other and still have a beer after its all over. Do it what ever way " I can handle the truth" Just like my legal counsel. Mike
        mike ross

Comment

Representative Republic

How about a little civics lesson?

In a pure democracy, the people vote on everything. The United States, and the model of corporate governance (in which APBA participates), are NOT true democracies: they are republican (representative) forms of governance.

In a true democracy, all matters, even laws or disputes are voted on by all persons qualified to vote, every time; there are no representatives.

In a republic, the people vote for representatives who then make decisions. The only way the republic can truly work is for the people to be able to know how their representatives voted so that the people can decide if they want to keep their representative or, rather, they should select a new one (ie: "throw the bum out").

When the people vote, it should be a secret one whether in a democracy or a republic. When the representatives vote, it should not be a secret as to how they vote. Otherwise, the republic will not work since the people will never know how their representatives are performing or which ones are the "problem".

Commissioners, under our current by-laws, are representatives of the members. Accordingly, Commissioners' votes should rarely, if ever, be secret.

If the Chairman is a bum, how will the members ever know how to get rid of him/her unless they know who elected the Chairman so that they can vote those "bum-voters" out?
          14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Ed - Thanks for your lesson on how a republic works. I also believe we should record the vote of each commissioner and make the votes public. I am talking about ALL the votes not only the vote for stock outboard VP.

There are important issues facing the commission. These issues need to be openly debated and if brought to motion we need to have commissioner's votes recorded and available to the membership. The membership has a right to know the actions of its elected commissioners. This is the only procedure from which the membership is able to decide for whom to vote at the next election.

In any organization there are disagreements. I believe they actually strengthen an organization if they are discussed and concluded in and open forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Pater View Post
              Ed - Thanks for your lesson on how a republic works. ****
              No sweat. I'm sure most people on this message board already knew what I said, but the bs about a secret ballot had me just a little concerned about that.

Don't get me wrong. Sometimes there are good reasons for a secret ballot. But they are very rare and the election of the Category Chairman does not even come close to warranting an anonymous vote.

When I was chairman, we did not record into the minutes who voted which way on each item of business at the annual meeting because I believed that it was too laborious and time-consuming to do that. But the votes were never secret ones and everyone in the room knew who voted which way on any particular item. If any members really wanted to know how their commissioner voted on any particular item, they could figure that out.

The next chairman can decide if he wants to have the minutes recorded in another manner.
              14-H

Comment

What do you mean, when I was the chairman???? You are the chairman.

Comment

Present Status

Originally posted by tj15m View Post
                  I believe the correct characterization is: Lame Duck!
                  14-H

Comment

Present Status

Originally posted by tj15m View Post
                    I believe the correct characterization is: Lame Duck!
                    14-H

Comment

The real issue here is that of governance of the organization. The APBA in general does not a fully realized system of governance based on the policy governance system that has been developed by John and Marion Carver (see : http://www.carvergovernance.com/ and check their FAQ).
                      In all reality, the chairman of the commission works for the SORC. The SORC working in concert with the chairman develop the goals for the coming year and measure the chairman's performance based on these goals. Of course this assumes that the chairman is paid something -- but even in the case where the chairman or executive direct is not, this is a good model.
                      The SORC represents the owners of the organization to the chairman -- in this case the members. It is the members who need to make their wishes know to their respective commissioners who then work together with the chairman to make things happen.
                      f/8

Comment

Working...
                      X