Tohatsu DSH changes!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tohatsu DSH changes!!!

please consider SERIOUSLY about changes the prop shaft depth requirement, as it definately is a handling (safety) issue!!!!!! If this does not get changed, expect a few of the current Tohatsu DSH racers to go to DMH to get away from the height issue!!! PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!! Also, please allow the use of "any type of material" aftermarket reed valve.....................thanks!!!
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

write it up

Originally posted by mercguy
    please consider SERIOUSLY about changes the prop shaft depth requirement, as it definately is a handling (safety) issue!!!!!! If this does not get changed, expect a few of the current Tohatsu DSH racers to go to DMH to get away from the height issue!!! PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!! Also, please allow the use of "any type of material" aftermarket reed valve.....................thanks!!!
    Daren
    Write up the change you want and get it to Dave anderson soon so it will go to the national meeting .
    if we all write it up maybe they will do something about ? SAFETY is the important side of this change ,you know you raced with us all season.
    Russ Bircher Team Tohatsu 454-R/151-R

Comment

Will Do!!

Originally posted by Russ Birch 45R
      Daren
      Write up the change you want and get it to Dave anderson soon so it will go to the national meeting .
      if we all write it up maybe they will do something about ? SAFETY is the important side of this change ,you know you raced with us all season.
      Russ Bircher Team Tohatsu 454-R/151-R
      I will get that done this weekend!! Cause there AIN'T NO WAY I am gonna risk wrecking my BRAND NEW DARNEILLE DSH due to handling problems related to poor propshaft depth set forth for the Bass Tohatsu by the DSH parity committee.
      Last edited by mercguy; 10-31-2006, 10:51 PM.
      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Aftermarket Reeds?

Originally posted by mercguy
        So Darren is the reed issue a fatigue problem or something else? I have heard some rumors of this occuring (sucking a reed), what kind of data has been compiled to support your request? Just playing devil's advocate......
        17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

yep..........

Originally posted by bbackus17w
          So Darren is the reed issue a fatigue problem or something else? I have heard some rumors of this occuring (sucking a reed), what kind of data has been compiled to support your request? Just playing devil's advocate......
          just as you would suspect from a steel reed in this type of engine. And also and cost-saving measure (so when the steel reed decides to break, it will not do serious internal damage to the engine, like a fiber reed could prevent.).
          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

I can't resist

Doesn't common sense come into play here ? If I had one, which I would not mind having, I would put the fiber reeds in it anyway. I would also run a depth to which was safe. I am not crazy enough to go out there racing at 78 MPH right next to someone and have the boat go wild.... duhhh. Does someone need to get killed or seriously injured before anything happens ?

I hope this issue gets on the agenda to discuss at the meeting at the very least.

Or, grow DMH !!! Sounds like a very cool idea to me !!!
            Dave Mason
            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

It will be on the agenda, no doubt for safety reasons. That said, I hope the parity committee has enough data from somebodies testing to compensate for any speed differential. Somebody needs to test the motor thoroughly at a safe height and still maintain parity. John 2-Z
              John Runne
              2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Common sense.....

Originally posted by Dave M
                Doesn't common sense come into play here ? If I had one, which I would not mind having, I would put the fiber reeds in it anyway. I would also run a depth to which was safe. I am not crazy enough to go out there racing at 78 MPH right next to someone and have the boat go wild.... duhhh. Does someone need to get killed or seriously injured before anything happens ?

I hope this issue gets on the agenda to discuss at the meeting at the very least.

Or, grow DMH !!! Sounds like a very cool idea to me !!!
                Sounds like to me the engine should be marketed w/carbon reeds.
                17W

Comment

Originally posted by bbackus17w
                  Sounds like to me the engine should be marketed w/carbon reeds.

I believe that is the plan, once they are approved by the SORC. But, being that Bass is basically the manufacturer, they "should" be able to dictate what goes inside or outside the engine, according to their specs.
                  Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by csh2z
                    It will be on the agenda, no doubt for safety reasons. That said, I hope the parity committee has enough data from somebodies testing to compensate for any speed differential. Somebody needs to test the motor thoroughly at a safe height and still maintain parity. John 2-Z

I believe that info has been passed on by a Tohatsu racer..........
                    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

I have run my Tohatsu with stock and boysen reeds and there was no change in top RPM. The stock reeds have a slight advantage at the mid range RPM giving more punch. This is only true when they are new! After 5 - 6 races the stock reeds begin to weaken and the performance of the engine begins to fall off. That is why Sid and I change the stock reeds to Boysen. And for the protection of the motor.
                      111-R
                      Rick Keller

Comment

The SORC should have no problem with changing the reeds. Make a proposal and give it to your commissioner. To my knowledge this has not been brought up before the commission. John 2-Z
                        John Runne
                        2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Good Info!

Originally posted by Rick Keller
                          I have run my Tohatsu with stock and boysen reeds and there was no change in top RPM. The stock reeds have a slight advantage at the mid range RPM giving more punch. This is only true when they are new! After 5 - 6 races the stock reeds begin to weaken and the performance of the engine begins to fall off. That is why Sid and I change the stock reeds to Boysen. And for the protection of the motor.
                          111-R
                          Rick Keller
                          This is the type of info is useful when making such a request to the commision.
                          17W

Comment

Working...
                          X