No announcement yet.

Stock Outboard agenda for Los Angeles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then Prototype it. Legal to run every weekend but cannot win any Divisional or Nationals or set any Records (notice I did not say High Point or that it could not run at any of those places). Out of the small number (20 maybe in each class) of drivers who would running for these honors, there might only be 2-3 who "need" the cool tool. The rest would continue to do exactly what they did in 2016. And those 2-3 should not be the ones the SORC are worrying about. Front runners will always be fine. That's how they got to be front runners in the first place.
    Last edited by Brian10s; 01-23-2017, 11:30 AM.
    Brian 10s

Comment

If the goal is to cool the motor, does it matter how we get extra water to it?

Comment

• Big Don
        Big Don commented
        Editing a comment
        ????? What does that even mean? Hasn't it been the goal of every person that has ever raced?

Yes the tube length should be adjustable.
      Why butcher the tower housing (water pick up hole) and open that can of worms about measuring/inspecting and thus make it illegal for the 300ssH class when you can just attach a tube with 2 screws (if you want to use it all). Plus, even opening the hole isn't a guarantee you'll pump at 3/4" in rough race water. But a tube sticking down well below the snout is pretty much a certainty.
      As for the SW contingent...uh...the class is called BSH. Or even better. Raise the height a little more so it can really compete in 25ssH...since there's only 17 of them in the entire US..of which 15 competed 3 times or less in 2016.

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
        Matt Dagostino commented
        Editing a comment
        The Tietze Cool Tool will be on display in LA..........it has a machined set screw so a driver can lower or raise the cooling tube as drivers see fit . Just add water!...
        Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 01-23-2017, 06:06 PM.

DON - aka: Youda
      YouDaMan

Pumping is a matter of opinion; either you believe these is an issue or you don't. My opinion is that it is an issue and should be addressed and fixed with a simple solution - a pickup tube. Others have the opinion that there is not an issue. I respect that and the person saying it, but I do not agree with it. I believe, if passed, in 2/5/10 years we will all look back and ask ourselves why it even took this long to fix a basic motor cooling issue; hindsight is 20/20 and time will tell whatever the outcome will be.

Tuck and setback I'm not a big fan of - just more rules - but it is a small price to pay by myself and many others in order to allow the 3rd-12th place boat to pump and come back racing next weekend. Only comment I do have: if the pickup tube is approved, any pickup apparatus can be used, but must be aft of the prop-shaft.
      Last edited by guedo499; 01-23-2017, 04:01 PM.
      http://vitalire.com/

Comment

At the very, very least, I guess we all figured out about this .291 and chamfered inlet hole. The ****? I wonder what I've been doing for the last nine years with my head up my ass.
        http://vitalire.com/

Comment

I can't believe how far this issue has come. Just implement the pick up tube as is from Machine Components and be done with it.

Set back regulations to the motors? You're kidding right? Now you're going to make the racers of the biggest stock classes build new boats or at minimum build new transoms? Or set back their motors from a set up that works and lose 1-2 MPH? You're kidding right? This is a joke.....

Every boat is different and that is the main reason some pump water with a yamato and some don't. Same with motor angles. But implement this water pick up as is from one dealer and be done with the cooling issue forever in yamatos. F-O-R-E-V-E-R. Even Aaron Rodgers can spell that. Nobody is going to come out and have some trick insane jacked up and kicked in 1" set up that is going to set the world on fire. The prop shaft still has to be 3/4" below the bottom of the boat in CSH and 1/2" in 20SSH.

You guys are making it way too complicated. And if it's too complicated for everyone, then do nothing as Don says, but we're missing an opportunity to help newer guys eliminate a common problem that stock racing shouldn't even have.
          Kyle Bahl
          20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

Kyle, you know how this stuff goes. Someone or multiple people send stuff to the SORC or make comments and we react to them. Some of this stuff never even gets a motion on the floor. This is what happens with a member driven organization. Everyone has the ability of being heard. The other thing we need to always consider is if we pass something what else could we be causing by doing so. Over the years we have done this often not fully understanding the outcome. I don't think it's a bad idea to discuss all these things to be sure.

As an example. It was a concern that "someone" would try some radical set-up and maybe we needed to address that up front. So I started asking people as I'm sure others did, question or opinions on that topic. Next thing it's, "you know what these idiots are considering doing". He!!, I'm not smart enough to know some of this stuff so I start reaching out to others.
            "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

In NBRA we do not have a height rule and not likely to require an inspection. The man power to do this has not been in our procedures. I would guess that if a .291 hole will allow cooling, that would be measure that we would allow. A scoop which will cool the motor would allow you to raise the motor and you can throw out all your props. We will do testing to find the size of hole that cools and does not require a scoop.

Comment

If an external cooling tube is approved, what happens in OSY? Many drivers run this class also, and there is no height rule. This might lead to some crazy setups if approved, or some busy times in the pits trying to remove the tube and in-plug the stock pickup hole.
                Maroney Racing

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
                  GrandpaRacer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  John, as currently proposed the stock pickup hole is not plugged when the tool is used. They pump in parallel. Taking it off could be done in 5 minutes, if that.
                  John Adams

• Matt Dagostino
                  Matt Dagostino commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OSY-400 is governed by another cataglory. The cool tool as i am sure you have seen pics of by now is a bolt on part that takes 4 minutes to take on and off. If the PRO Cataglory or USTS or NBRA (Doc Miller) sees fit to allow it in there racing that is up to them....... One of the benefits of the external Cool Tool is that it is non-evasive to the water inlet hole system and leaves the existing cooling of the engine in STOCK configuration hence not effecting drivers who use Yamato engines in other cataglories.
                  Last edited by Matt Dagostino; 01-24-2017, 09:14 AM.

• Racerkyle20
                  Racerkyle20 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maroney- I've been asked to help colaberate between stock, mod, pro, and j during the meetings to make sure we are all on the same page this week in all matters.

Yes if this approved in stock it would be an osy issue as well. But we in the nw are one of the only regions were we run osy and csh at all races. Check the high points in osy. So it effects a small percentage of drivers taking the cool tool off before Osy.

pro would have to approved this cool tool as well if they wanted it for osy.

One thing really cool about the "Cool Tool" is that if it does not work adequately (unlikely) or causes some unforeseen problem, it can quickly be removed by the SORC and there is no residual damage to the engines. John Adams

Comment

• Big Don
                  Big Don commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree with that statement.

Originally posted by GrandpaRacer View Post
                One thing really cool about the "Cool Tool" is that if it does not work adequately (unlikely) or causes some unforeseen problem, it can quickly be removed by the SORC and there is no residual damage to the engines. John Adams
                Drill the HOLE....case solved !

Comment

Originally posted by Brian10s View Post
                  Then Prototype it. Legal to run every weekend but cannot win any Divisional or Nationals or set any Records (notice I did not say High Point or that it could not run at any of those places). Out of the small number (20 maybe in each class) of drivers who would running for these honors, there might only be 2-3 who "need" the cool tool. The rest would continue to do exactly what they did in 2016. And those 2-3 should not be the ones the SORC are worrying about. Front runners will always be fine. That's how they got to be front runners in the first place.
                  The issue is simple to resolve just lower the height of the engine 1/2 inch grandfather the records and reset them with new height requirements it has been done before and no modification of boat or motor needed! Plus it will Improve handling. The prop issue is mute, true racers will find a prop that will work and the issue is resolved! Why try and reinvent the wheel on this subject. I would bet the stock commission will talk this issue to death this week at the meeting and waste hours instead of approving this simple fix!

Comment

Originally posted by hshawwpba View Post

The issue is simple to resolve just lower the height of the engine 1/2 inch grandfather the records and reset them with new height requirements it has been done before and no modification of boat or motor needed! Plus it will Improve handling. The prop issue is mute, true racers will find a prop that will work and the issue is resolved! Why try and reinvent the wheel on this subject. I would bet the stock commission will talk this issue to death this week at the meeting and waste hours instead of approving this simple fix!
                    It's too simple and logical, can't be done.

Comment

This thread over the last week has transformed into the "pumping issue". On day one of this thread I thought why not lower the engines so they "ALL" pump.A"Cool Tool",drilling a hole larger,etc.,Its not needed,leave the motors as they are.hshawwpba and ricochet112 have it finally in print.This discussion may be for nothing,its Friday afternoon,the DOD in LA have already decided the outcome,good or bad.

Comment

You see the hoopla something as simple as bolting on a tube has caused, imagine the fray if it had started with lowering heights.

As for drilling the hole, I believe that was already tested and did not work.
                        Dane Lance
                        700-P
                        CSH/500Mod

Comment

• bill hoctor
                          bill hoctor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I was in Florida at the test... The enlarged hole WORKS !
                      Working...
                      X