Stock Outboard Racing Where 62.5% have a place to race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Outboard Racing Where 62.5% have a place to race

Is this what the SO banner will say if Dean gets his way? Although I applaud his and everyones passion for perpetuating our sport, but damm.

Yes we need new equipment and yes we need better venues and yes it would be nice to get more cockpit time. All of these and more need to be addressed but we MUST prioritize. I have been asking people "what is the single biggest thing we need in racing?" . I have gotten many good answers but the most important answer is never mentioned. WE NEED DRIVERS Everyone here can find a rig for a new driver with just a few phone calls. It might not be the best rig, but they will be out on the water with us.

People read and write all winter long here on Hydroracer about what needs to be done . Perhaps we should actually do something, And yes, I am willing to put up and volunteer to investigate ways to grow racing. We built the 25 class here in New England to almost full fields.

Doug 4N

Stock Outboard Racing

Doug,

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Bob Van
    99-D

Comment

Originally posted by Doug4N View Post
      Is this what the SO banner will say if Dean gets his way? Although I applaud his and everyones passion for perpetuating our sport, but damm.

Yes we need new equipment and yes we need better venues and yes it would be nice to get more cockpit time. All of these and more need to be addressed but we MUST prioritize. I have been asking people "what is the single biggest thing we need in racing?" . I have gotten many good answers but the most important answer is never mentioned. WE NEED DRIVERS Everyone here can find a rig for a new driver with just a few phone calls. It might not be the best rig, but they will be out on the water with us.

People read and write all winter long here on Hydroracer about what needs to be done . Perhaps we should actually do something, And yes, I am willing to put up and volunteer to investigate ways to grow racing. We built the 25 class here in New England to almost full fields.

Doug 4N
      I agree, but, how many will devote the time and money to finish mid pack at best? If we lose 3 APBA classes it will lose a few members, but not 37.5% of them. We need to consolidate classes, the timing is wrong right now.

Keeping the status quo, will keep brining status quo results.

For internet advertising to work, we need a marketable product, and we don't have that.

Comment

Originally posted by ricochet112 View Post
        I agree, but, how many will devote the time and money to finish mid pack at best? If we lose 3 APBA classes it will lose a few members, but not 37.5% of them. We need to consolidate classes, the timing is wrong right now.

For internet advertising to work, we need a marketable product, and we don't have that.
        If you want to spend enough, of course you can buy a fast rig and finish out front. We are talking entry level drivers though.
        Depending on how you do the math it's either 33.3 or 37.5 percent less potential entries, not members, neither is good. So the fewer classes will pay more to keep the clubs alive. There are redundant classes but we need everyone we can get right now. If you don't like 3 boat classes, make a 5 boat minimum or run a limited schedule. That alone will begin consolidation or class growth.
        You are correct about the status quo, I am aggravated enough to stop watching and get involved

Doug 4N

Comment

Ricochet well said. Right to the point. Internet marketing will help tremendously to attract many people to boat racing. I would think out of the multiple millions of people on the internet, we should get at least a couple hundred interested enough to research the sport. We only need a couple dozen new names a year to consider it a success. But, our product right now is a convoluted mess. We need a steering(OOPS) Advisory Committee to help define a plan for the short term and long term future of the sport, so people can make an educated decision for their racing program. And the Advisory Board or whatever, needs to be a continous part of our structure to maintain consistancy from one commission to the next.
          John Runne
          2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Well said Doug ! As for the comment above about finishing mid pack I say to each his own. I am a relative new driver in C marathon, short coarse and 25ssr. Untill my skill level and equipment tweaks improve I will be a happy being mid pack driver. Don't get me wrong a finish up front is great but it's not the end all to be all. My most memorable race was last year when my team mate and I slugged it out for 2nd and third. I happen to beat him that heat then he whipped me in the next one. Point being we had more fun than I can possibly put into words.There's a bigger picture here beyond where we finish. IMO that's part of the "package" we need to sell to new drivers and yes it is a package.

Again IMO if you want to attract and retain drivers you need to offer more than just a race site. MHRA is well on their way in doing that with a very good driver's school that Dean mentioned but it has to go beyond that. You need to be willing to invest time and share knowledge with new racers after the fact. This will make them better, safer and yes faster drivers. My guess is that once they get comfortable they will pay it forward for the next new guy or gal. Got to go now, 12" of snow on the way .

Sam,
            87-M
            Last edited by Islandmon; 02-01-2011, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I was looking far an A omc engine and with one post on here i found 5 of them very affordable prices too.
              Bob

Comment

Originally posted by KG4 View Post
                I was looking far an A omc engine and with one post on here i found 5 of them very affordable prices too.
                I don't know if it was the timing or what, but from the prices I saw from the replies, $1600-1800, that's cheaper than I have seen one go for in a long time...

Comment

Working...
                X