H and I dimesions for Yamato heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H and I dimesions for Yamato heads

Please keep in mind that all of the rule changes voted on in Detroit are for the 2009 Racing season so they will not go into effect until November 1st 2008.

I have had a few inquiries about the 102 and 302 H and I dimensions. Since this is not a saftey rule and we did not receive a motion from the floor regarding the timeline for implentation of the removal of this dimension, the current rule will be in effect for all of the 2008 racing season.

Bottom line, if your head does not meet the H or I dimension this year you will be thrown out.

Scott Reed

If this is not a safety rule is the vote not supposed to go the the racers to vote on?
    Sean Byrne

Comment

rule

because this is a technical rule.

Comment

what was the point of the rule?

"The Coffee Guy"
        TEAM CAFFEINE
        Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
        " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Point

Do get get started on the points...........this a motor part.

This was offered from a member and voted on by your elected representatives. I do not believe that there was any hidden agenda...... but it will allow everyone to get the cc's closer on 102's and 302's

it will also put some parts back in service....heads that were cut incorrectly that are now illegal will get new life.

It will eliminate the work around that some very good welders have done to add material to make the dimension of H/I and still cc tight by re cutting the squish band.

Hope that answers your question

Comment

This is totally ridiculous. I am shocked that the SORC passed this. If I wanted to run Mod, I would own mod equipment. What really blows my mind though is that nobody seems to care. Last year everyone flipped out when the height was changed. It was like the end of the world. Now, the SORC does this, which means we are all going to have to get our heads re-machined on all of our motors, and no one cares. Am I the only one that thinks this is a HUGE mistake?
            Ryan Runne
            9-H
            Wacusee Speedboats
            ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

OH I agree it was a mistake. We have a year to tell our commissioners we do not like the new rule.
              bill b

Comment

Totally shocked?

I think you guys are missing the point that this is already happening. You already have very skilled machinsist that can meet the H and I and make it look stock.

There are racers that are within 1/2 cc on their head now. With this rule change that is more approachable for the less affluent or even less skilled welder. It may have even taken a motor builder 20 or 30 heads to achieve that dimension and that is who you guys are racing against.

So while you may be shocked it passed, I'll be shocked if you don't re-machine your head. If you are a purest you won't but I would think you would want to compete. The idea of stock is to have everybody run the same speed, this make that closer to a reality.

My opinion is, it levels the playing field......but I don't get a vote unless there is a tie.

Comment

Hmmm

Ryan, it is clear the majority of 302/102 racers were against last years height rule in CSH but their voices were not heard. We were told the height rule was for the newbie .... I think Byrne Bros racing were the only newbies to voice a newbies opinion.

Fast forward to 2008 H/I dimensions rule .... I really don't think people believe their voice matters much after last year... I'll agree with Scott ... this rule actually allows our team to level the playing field a touch ... heck I didn't know people were messing with heads .... thanks for the info.

BTW we did find we lose both lap time and overall speed at 3/4. We are slowly making changes to our boats to run at 3/4 effectively .... call it catch up for those who already running "the 3/4 set up" .... it is boat dependent to run this set up safely.
                  Last edited by drbyrne55; 02-25-2008, 01:27 PM.
                  BOPP

Comment

For you purests...the H or I or even both dimensions were done away a few years ago on the Yamato 80 heads.

No one seemed to mind that.

Heck, we're all running less than stock engines in every class.

Maybe the Sidewinder will truly be a "stock" racing engine.

Maybe the Tohatsu as well.

Even then, we ought to be able to correct factory mistakes and not be stuck with a dog motor just because we got unlucky in the production run.

Comment

Originally posted by reed28n View Post
                      The idea of stock is to have everybody run the same speed,
                      I have been around the sport of boat racing since the days that a person could go into a dealership and buy a brand new B Stock Mercury, Champion, Martin, or Scott Atwater. And I don't think the idea of stock was to have everybody run the same speed but to give everyone the opportunity to purchase equal unaltered equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by reed28n View Post
                        It may have even taken a motor builder 20 or 30 heads to achieve that dimension and that is who you guys are racing against.

Here is probably the best statement on why. Those 20 or 30 heads that until now were junk (read illegal in both stock and mod) are now able to be brought back to life and used. It is not like Yamato has run a new batch of 102 heads lately.
                        Brian 10s

Comment

Off the Shelf

I think that we can all agree that store bought is how "Stock" was intended to be raced. I believe we can also agree that those days are gone. Even back in the day, I would say my dad had an advantage assemblying stock motors. He had a merc dealership and a friend that rented the same powerheads on fishing boats. He could go through dozens of parts and find the ones he liked and assemble those. Not everyone had that option. I'll bet very few out front racers bought one motor and raced it as is. With the tolerances available from the factory back in that time frame there were motors that were just better period.

As soon as we started the Inspection manual with dimensions found in production motors we opened the door for machining. Because as we all know there had to be a plus and a minus. If a surface was machined at the factory it would be difficult to tell if it had been changed after it was in the hands of crafty speed seekers.

So, while agree the spirit of Stock was of the shelf, I do not truly believe that was ever a reality.

What we can do is try going forward to keep the playing field level....I cannot tell whether this rule is the best way to do that or not, but that was the sprit of the voting commissioners.

Comment

Originally posted by bill boyes View Post
                            OH I agree it was a mistake. We have a year to tell our commissioners we do not like the new rule.
                            ...to be clear even telling them how much you dislike this rule it will never be able to go back to what it was. So what is done is done.

Maybe what Bill was trying to say was if you don't like they way your commissioner voted...replace them next year with someone else...if you feel real strong about it run yourself. (not you Bill, I know your involved)
                            "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_4z View Post
                              This is totally ridiculous. I am shocked that the SORC passed this. If I wanted to run Mod, I would own mod equipment. What really blows my mind though is that nobody seems to care. Last year everyone flipped out when the height was changed. It was like the end of the world. Now, the SORC does this, which means we are all going to have to get our heads re-machined on all of our motors, and no one cares. Am I the only one that thinks this is a HUGE mistake?
                              Ryan,

So you are telling me that NOTHING has been cut to spec on your engine(s)? Your "H" dimension is probably very close to 1.244" now. Dude it's simple.....
                              Last edited by 17W; 02-25-2008, 06:43 PM.
                              17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

Working...
                              X