X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 AOF Nationals Report

Friday: COLD

Saturday Nationals:
    The race was a success according to AOF President, Rod Black. New champions were crowned. The turnout was even bigger than expected for a late nationals. AOF just keeps snowballing and growing bigger and better. Thanks to all who attended and made the 2006 AOF nationals such a success.
    Finishes will be posted as soon as we can get them.

Sunday:
    A regular race will be run giving anyone who stayed even more points toward the AOF high points.

Moses Lake, WA, the site of this super race will also host the 2007 APBA stock nationals.

2006 AOF Nationals

I want to applaud Mr Black and his group for organizing and hosting the AOF Nationals at Moses Lake this weekend. The majority of people don't know how much time and effort goes into these things. The weather was in the 70's , a little wind once in a while , but raceable. On the flip side (no pun intended), as a first time attendee of an AOF Nationals, watching my son run against one other 1100cch, I was underwhelmed to see only about 60-70 boats . All (with the exception of 1 of 2) from the northwest...the Stateline, Whidbey Island, and Seattle Outboard guys/gals. Maybe September is to late, or maybe AOF Nationals is more of a regional event, I don't know. Personally, I thought I would see some boats from the mid-west and east coast. Was I wrong to think this? Again, thanks Mr Black and thanks to Stateline, Whidbey, and SOA for their support of this event...we may be divided by mountains and national afflications, but we like to play together.

Jim
    We like non-racers across the country to think that it rains 365 days a year in the northwest.

Comment

Jim,
      Thank you so much for attending. You have made some very astute observations and asked some very good questions.
      I would say that, probably, a few years ago, some that were present at Moses Lake would not have even thought of attending an AOF race. Apparantly some strides have been made in getting our AOF secret out there.
      I was told that there were 125 entries on Saturday and about 60 on Sunday. While not an APBA nationals, that is not too bad considering the time of year and the gas price scare.
      Your observation about no out siders can be attributed to the above, but ever so slightly.
      You see, AOF promotes GRASS ROOTS racing as a number one priority. AOF gives a lot of authority and soverignty to the clubs. We believe this is the way to grow boat racing. We have to work on the foundation before we build up. Winning a club or region championship or high point should remain the priority of AOF members to promote the grass roots aspect.
      So,the nationals might not be as important to most of our members as winning a club or regional award. Add in the fact that most racers in AOF also belong to APBA and have already blown their travelling money going to the APBA nationals. Most of us are restricted as far as funds.
      This is not to say that the AOF national champions are not as good. It is just stating facts. Chances are, wherever the AOF nationals are each year, you will see few from outside the direct region the nationals are held.
      This was especially pronounced this year.
      It is too bad, but the way it is. AOF has a GREAT thing going and hopefully more will discover our secret. If not, the grass roots aspect will keep us racing.
      It should all be about the fun anyway. Hope you had fun as your family brings a lot of tradition and class to AOF. Thank you again. Connie

Comment

Thank You

To the AOF Nationals Event Management & Operations Personnel,

AOF and NWC Team: Thank you so much for putting on this event. I had a great time, and I always learn some new things by talking with the other participants at events like this. The schedule ran VERY smooth and the drivers' party was a social success from what I could see while I was there. The pizza on Saturday was very good also. The course turns were set up with just the right arch for some pretty competitive racing. Too bad that Mike S. and a few others went for a "swim" and damaged some of their best racing equipment... Hope that those of you who crashed are all OK after the three-day event and that you will have yourself checked out with your doctor for residual pains and aches within the next three days, if needed. The emergency crew also did an excellent job of responding to crashes and spinouts. I will try to put a few pictures on the website that a friend of mine took in a few days. The snowmobile water ride demo around the whole course was awsome -- especially since the guy did it without using the front skis! Semper Fi!

Al Peffley
        R-25

Comment

Thanks Connie for the clarification. I hear you regarding travel this time of year, gas prices, and money. It looked like the race committee and all involved did a good job organizing things both on and off the race course and those that attended had a good time...isn't that what it is all about?

Jim

Comment

Thank you Racers!

I just wanted to say thank you to all the racers that showed up and raced and had a great time.
            A few special thanks for the people who made it all happen on schedule and so smoothly.
            Tony- great ref, a few hard calls but learned a bunch from you.
            Kevin and Dennis for corner judges.
            Pat for computer work, clock, and video/scoring..
            Nicky for doing the flags
            Sorry forgot the scoring girls names (someone help me out)
            Rod for Outboard pit boss
            Scotty for Inboard pit boss, and Frank his helper
            Bruce for tech/fuel inspect and course patrol
            Jerry for weights, I know there were others helping.
            Caroline and Ronda for registration
            The safety guys and divers, ambulance/EMT guys. great recovery all weekend.
            And of course Brent Harnack... great announcing, the sponsor's loved it.
            Last but not least all the RACERS without you guys helping and getting registration in early it would have not been so smooth.

I know I missed some people so thanks to them also.
            Oh yeah, the robbery foiler.... (need help with his name) I think robert?
            Good job glad he was around and great thinking on telling someone, glad you were not hurt trying to stop them or something. GOOD JOB...

See you all next year.
            Jon Gallagher
            Northwest Water Competition

Comment

Agree

Gas prices has affected attendance anywhere in the USA as reported by high up flat bottom folks. Virginia had only 6 flats for Nationals. Flats are all I know, but I also agree that gas is a major factor for boat count. However, those who attended could not have found a better race course and overall event within 400 miles! Safety also was at its usual best as proven when a racer lost the whole side of the inboard boat and floatation was damaged. Only experienced safety personell pulled off a perfect rescue of both driver and boat. I am very proud and fortunate to be a Northwest racer and enjoy this years Moses Lake.

Comment

Working...
              X