Highlands Outboard Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlands Outboard Update

Carl and I have been busy finalizing plans for Lake Placid events.
    We have updated the tentative schedule...
    Oct 21-22 (Lake Placid)
    Nov 18-19 (Lake Placid)
    Dec 16-17 (Lake Placid)
    Jan 20-21 (Lake Placid)
    Feb 17-18 (Lake Placid)
    Mar 17-18 (Lake Placid)

Short Course Nationals AND Records AOF/APBA (4 lap 3/4 mi)
    Apr 15-16 (Lake Placid)
    May 19-20 (Talahassee)

We are working with AOMCI to host joint events at Lake Placid. We hope to have AOMCI present for swap meets and "in the water" displays. Anyone running their antique equipment on the course would need to be an AOF non racing member.

Minimost project is still progressing. The Briggs motors planes off easily and with no "tweaking" pushes an adult at about 18 mph.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
    Carl Staron-863-699-9701
    Russ Waterson russw@tampabay.rr.com

sigpic
    SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Hi Russ,
    Thank you for the update.
    Question? Is the April date in Lake Placid or Altoona? This sounds like a really big event!
    Connie

Comment

April date

The April date is tentatively for Lake Placid. We will try to post changes and updates as soon as they happen on Hydroracer and HOA site.

Highlands Outboard Association http://web.tampabay.rr.com/aojesus

RussW

sigpic

Comment

Joining AOF

We are really generating some interest from the antiquers!
        I have recieved several e-mails wanting information on joining AOF.
        I believe this link will help.

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6731

Maybe Connie can add some more insight for us. (please )

Thanks
        RussW
        Last edited by aojesus; 08-13-2006, 01:00 PM. Reason: found info

sigpic

Comment

Here ya go Russ, I plan on coming down in Oct.

AOF Membership
          HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

antiquers

Hi Russ , If I bring my antique race boat to Lake placid do I need kevlars? Normally at AOMCI events only life jackets and helmets are required. Some people even wear vintage jackets.
            Rich

Comment

safety equipment

RTM,
              You raise a good question. Carl and I have been chatting all weekend and this has been one of the topics. We need to iron out a few details and I will try to have an answer very soon. Please be patient as we try to pull this all together.

Maybe some of the AOF officials will sign in and give some input.

We are really getting a lot of interest and it is great!

RussW

sigpic

Comment

Safety

It looks as though the boats entering the water would have to submit to a general safety inspection. The boats must be seaworthy. Other than that we are hoping to let the "antiquers" use the water under AOMCI rules.

We are planning on having the AOMCI guys use the water before and after the races and hopefully during patrol boat changes. This is going to take some work between AOF/HOA and AOMCI, but we think it is possible to open the water to both organizations.

This could prove to be a great boost for all organizations involved.
                We are open to suggestions and comments.

Thanks,
                RussW

sigpic

Comment

life jackets/kevelar

hi guys , well being the sagety director i suppose i have to be the bearer of the news here, your life jackets must be of the "security/lifeline", style jackets, none of the older nomex, and other softer life jackets unfortunately, also the cut resistant suits must also be worn in "all" aof events, for the outboarders. i hope this doesn't put a damper on things, hopefully you have time to get some of this stuff together. if you have and questions on this issue please contact me here. thank kevin martin

Comment

That sounds like bad news for the antiquers, with requirements that will mandate cut suits. I have a sequrity jacket, but not sure I want to spend the money, for a cut suit, to ride around in my antique race boat. I think I`ll just watch the Oct. event from the beach, and see how many antiquers show up. I guess if AOMCI mandated cut suits for their events, I would be forced to buy one.

Rich

Comment

russ

i heard there was a race in september is this true

Comment

kevlar

Originally posted by propwash
                        hi guys , well being the sagety director i suppose i have to be the bearer of the news here, your life jackets must be of the "security/lifeline", style jackets, none of the older nomex, and other softer life jackets unfortunately, also the cut resistant suits must also be worn in "all" aof events, for the outboarders. i hope this doesn't put a damper on things, hopefully you have time to get some of this stuff together. if you have and questions on this issue please contact me here. thank kevin martin
                        We anticipated kevlar becoming an issue. Let me climb on my soap box for a moment,.....
                        I have personally witnessed people getting severly cut by propellers. I have seen forearms turned into "barber poles". My cousin had his back run over by a 20H runabout and was seriously injured. Twice I saw legs shredded.
                        These accidents took place before the advent of kevlar. These people would probably just have been bruised if kevlar was used. Propellers cut whether you are just playing around on the pond or flat out racing.
                        To make a long story short, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!
                        ( I'm climbing down now)

We are working on the kevlar issue. We want the "antiquers" to have a place to play. We all want to play. Some generous racers have already volunteered to loan kevlar to someone if it is needed. We are doing our best to take care of the situation and we are looking at a few different options.

RTM,
                        What does AOMCI require for safety equipment?

We will do our best to resolve this quickly!

Russ Waterson russw@tampabay.rr.com
                        Carl Staron 863-699-9701

sigpic

Comment

you got it carl

not sure what i can do from here, but would gladly help as well. this isn't to chase anyone off, just a "huge" issue when it comes to safety, helps with insurance rates, and most of all, keeps you the racer, safer!!!! with my most recent mishap i know without doubt that my cutsuit, saved my arse!!!! had i had some sort of cut resistant shoes, i would have come out unscathed, just bruised form this one. my helmet and flack in the back of my life jacket, show me that had i not been wearing good safety equipment, my head and lower back would have taken the impact of the rocks squarely, and that bothers me. i assure you and anyone else considering this move, borrow some suits if you must, someday it will pay off big time. if i can help please give me the opportunity to. thanks kevin martin

Comment

Working...
                          X