Hall of Fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall of Fame

Just a couple of days until I leave for Spokane, WA for the AOF national meeting. I still have some year end awards to post before then. Being inducted into the AOF Hall of Fame are two special people, Eric Petersen and Steve Dunn.

Eric is from Long Island, NY. He works very hard at the promotion of his club, Eastern Outboard Racing Association. These are hardy drivers willing to race in rough oceans and salt water, as well as little ponds on LI. AOF is priviledged to have EORC as a very active club whose members grace both AOF and APBA races throughout the country. The EORC has a lot of fun and loyalty in their racing. Eric runs OSY, CSH, B1 (25 mod) and 25XS. He is a busy man at the races.

Steve Dunn is the epitomy of Mod racers. He pushes the MOD philosophy to the limit as it should be. He has been a loyal AOF driver for many years and has won several high point and national championships in his long career. He has graced the AOF government as a Director and Region Chairman several times. Having Steve's smiling face in the HOF is a pleasure. In addition, Steve is the first South Carolina driver to be inducted. Thank you Steve for all of your support and friendship throughout the years.

It is very difficult to earn enough points in AOF to earn this once in a lifetime honor. (Once your in, your in). Only two drivers can be inducted each year. Once inducted, a driver never has to pay dues again, and their name stays in the archives forever. Congratulations Steve and Eric.

AOF Annual Meeting

Hello Connie,
    Could you send me some detailed information on the meeting location in Spokane? Will arrive early evening Friday. What is the preferred hotel and tel #.
    Thanks, Dick Duncan 39P

Comment

Congratulations Steve!

Many moons ago a group of South Carolina racers who had never been seen at one of our races before showed up at Camden, NC. Our inspector was suspicious, sure that their engines were fiddled with. I seem to recall I was either race director or ref, memory a bit foggy, but I convinced the inspector to let them race with no hassle. They raced, did fairly well. Steve Dunn was one of those racers.

So we're thinking, jeez, there's probably a lot of decent river racers out there who need a place to race with an organization and lots of boats. We added Mods to the schedule. Steve and the South Carolina racers became regulars at our races. I like Steve because if he thinks it needs saying, he says it. We need a few more vocal participants like Steve in the mix. Fast on the race course, not shy about telling you what is and what isn't, Steve Dunn is asset to the race community.

Not to mention I had good laugh when he took a ball peen hammer to a cranky Merc 30 block in Denton one year :-)
      carpetbagger

Comment

Many many years ago when the SC bunch started racing AOF I was sure that group sounded like a law firm:

Willard, Dillard, and Dunn. llc?

All are old river racers who have gone on to achieve great things and earn a lot of respect. All do have a personality to go with it.

I know people think I am a little bit passionate about AOF. That is not it, really. What I am passionate about is how AOF has been able to take the "independent" racers, get them into organized racing, and build their involvment. Grass roots racing has to stay alive as a starting point for those who just want to have some fun and move "up" if they want to.
        It is also a lot of fun to see some of the old NOA affiliated drivers' children become and remain a part of our history. Steve's induction into the AOF Hall of Fame certainly makes me proud and happy for him.
        Connie

Comment

Working...
        X