Moses Lake AOF meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moses Lake AOF meeting

The mothership of Hydroracer is now in Moses Lake and will be in attendance for the AOF meeting. Hopefully she will have good news to report. Meeting starts tomorrow at 10:00.
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Now that the meeting is over it sounds like the future looks brighter but not perfect. Folks now know there is a lot of work to do especially in the communication department. More details to come when the boss gets home tomorrow evening
    Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

OK, I'll ask it!

especially since I am the resident jerk, where's the meeting news? Is everyone sworn to secrecy or tight lipped for a reason, or hung over, or bashful, or doesnt think anyone is interested, or care about AOF. did I leave a reason out? (well something fore mentioned must apply) So call me a jerk for asking and see if I care!

Really, I hope everyone made it home safe, if anyone was there.

Comment

To all who care, got home late, had/have to go to work, have a meeting tonight. SO.... maybe tomorrow I can post what little I know.

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Thanks

you were the one I was worried about and probably had the longest drive in threatening weather! It's officially over!

Comment

Boyd, thank you for thinking of me. Missed you however, had a great dinner with Dave Weber and a couple others Saturday night.

I think you are right, is about here! There was a couple inches of snow on the pass by our house when I went to Moses, so discretion being the better part of valor I drove home through Sandpoint. An extra hour of time but worth it.

I will try to post high points of meeting when I have a little more time.

- Teresa

Comment

Ok, the following is MY recollection of the high points of the AOF meeting in Moses Lake.

Directors quorum was established (many who had been listed as members on a list supplied by Teresa Phillips on behalf of Carl Staron were disqualified as they had not paid membership dues; this was done prior to the start of the national meeting). Thirteen directors were present at the meeting 9 present and 4 by proxy presented by three directors (1 = OR, 1= WA, 1 = ID, 1 = Historian) . There were only four members at large that attended the meeting: Rick Keller, Dave Weber, Dan Surfus and Dennis Westby.

It was presented that there were some problems with the voting/balloting process this year as some ballots were sent out with the wrong return address on them. There were many who were entitled to receive ballots that did not. There was a suggestion made that the vote should be redone, and a procedure for doing such a revote, but the majority of the group decided against this option. It was also mentioned that candidate resumes sent out with the ballots would have been nice.

Ballots for the AOF officers had been tallied by a member-at-large and a racing director during the meeting and the totals presented to the group. There were 90 some ballots returned. The vote for President was to Rod Black, the vote to VP Technical was to Steve French, and although there were two write ins for treasurer the majority vote was to Jay Roesner. This was termed as a good response in regards to ballot return and significantly better than last year.

First order of business was to the position of executive director. All general members, including Mr. Bircher were asked to leave the room. Discussion began, and continued for some time; the final decision was to allow Mr. Bircher to continue as Executive Director for the drag boat division only as he has an excellent track record with these folks. The outboard and nostalgia flatbottom division will now be under Mr. Rick Keller as Executive Director. Note: Mr. Carl Staron had also submitted a resume for the position and was also considered; however as the recent paperwork for the Pineville race which Mr. Staron was in possession of had not been submitted in a timely manner as prescribed by the AOF rulebook. Mr. Staron’s “paperwork and administrative” skills were called to question, when asked for additional information the group was informed that this type of tardiness on paperwork is common, and when it is received often the information presented is incomplete.

Treasurer’s report was made by Mr. Roesner and will be attached to the minutes of the meeting by Secretary Dave Loomis and will be available for review by any member requesting the report. Membership revenue and sanction revenue was questioned in relationship to the drag boats and we were advised that the economy has hit them hard this year as it did the outboards. There were 8 scheduled races, 4 were cancelled, their membership is also approximately half of what it has been in prior years. Seems the economy has taken a toll on membership and number of boats turning out to races in all divisions.

Safety committee had nothing to present at this time.

Competition committee had nothing to present at this time.

Business portion of the meeting commenced:

Discussion was held on the lifetime members. There was and has never been any discussion regarding the revocation of lifetime memberships. Last year there was supposed to have been an addendum added to the rule book that if lifetime members wished to be active in voting and day to day business that they needed to complete an application annually. The purpose of this being to be sure the most updated information is available for mailings, ballots etc. It was pointed out that this was not ever published and members could not be held to this until such a time as it was disseminated to them.

Communication has been a large problem with AOF, a lengthy discussion evolved regarding this and it was resolved to make a much better effort to correctly and properly disseminate information to the membership, this included a regular (quarterly) newsletter. It was moved, seconded and approved to add completion of membership applications for lifetime members to a ballot that would be sent to the membership.
              Discussion was held to change the sanction requirements to 30 days prior to the event for both the request of the sanction and the payment of the fees. A motion was made and seconded however it was defeated in a vote and will not be presented on the rule change ballot.

Dates in the rule book were discussed. It was pointed out that since the dates voted on at prior meeting were never published they could not be used. It was also mentioned that if they were indeed changed that the current meeting would not have been held until first weekend or so of December. It was then discussed that if the meeting was in December it would create a hardship to get the rule change ballots out to membership and back in time for publication or that date too would have to be moved. Finally, termed to be a “clean up item with no membership vote required” only the dates of the fiscal year will be changed from October 1st to September 30th to read from November 1st to October 31st. No other dates will be moved forward or changed. Motion was made seconded and approved to change the fiscal year to the dates of November 1st through October 31st.

Hall of Fame members were discussed. The description as written in the rule book is somewhat unclear. Some feel it is a membership for as long as individual remains active in AOF, it does not describe what is to be considered active. Others feel it is a three year membership of the same form as won in (i.e. racing HOF is a racing membership, non-racing HOF is non- racing membership). One lifetime member contacted by phone stated the rule originally provided for a one year membership in the following racing season only. New wording to better reflect the latter was suggested and was to include the completion of a membership application as the item to meet “activity”. Motion was made, seconded and vote was in the affirmative to add this to the membership rule change ballot.

Due to the lack of participation at the 2009 National event in Moses Lake there was discussion that there be no 2010 Nationals. No motion was made and this matter after some discussion, both for and against, was postponed indefinitely. A committee was appointed to determine what if anything could be done to encourage participation at this event. 2009 experienced a huge drop in attendance due other events being held on the same date. (They were changed to the same date as AOF Nationals.)

Motion was made to change to the Novice class to a Novice A and Novice B class. “A” would be similar to “J” where an OMC 15 would be used, and for children 9-13 years. “B” would be for ages 14 through adult and would use the restricted 80. After some lively discussion this motion was withdrawn.

It was getting late and as there was no one who brought any other items forward, the motion was made to adjourn the meeting it was seconded and passed.

Comment

Thank YOu

Teresa, from those who could not attend, I'm sure they ehco this Thank YOU! In my experience, a report from a National meeting of any kind has never happened via internet! Nothing hidden here! Much appreciated! See you at the Banquet this Saturday Nov 14!Love the icons in case you hadnt noticed....

Comment

Boyd - I think the one thing that we really need to do is remember to communicate, lack of communication only breeds ill will. See you Saturday night! We are bringing your crew chief for a visit!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs blueskyracer View Post
                    Boyd - I think the one thing that we really need to do is remember to communicate, lack of communication only breeds ill will. See you Saturday night! We are bringing your crew chief for a visit!
                    Cool, maybe I'll share some award (like that's even possible). You know, It dawned on me that many who see me give away my race awards might be insulted. Especially those who worked at procurring them. ( I know, I used to do this job) It is not my intention to devalue the award or not appreciate anyones hard work or hurt their feelings. Quite possibly the statement I want to make with this gift: I dont race for awards or the win, I race for the fun of competition and most important the sharing of that fun with everybody especially the youngsters!
                    I'll bring him a girlfriend!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X