Wakefield-Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wakefield-Chicago

OK all my Region 7 compadres...what's your take on traveling 294 around Chicago to get up to Wakefield?

That route is 100 miles shorter than going up through Michigan to Mackinac...but is it faster?

Be traveling through Chi-town on Saturday afternoon.

I've heard the horror stories...need some solid advice.

Thx.

D.

route

Dana,

look at taking I 65 to I 80 west, then north on 355 to I 88 west to I 39 north up into WI. this will skirt you around Chicago, not sure about actual milage though.

if you do go this way pay attention to the lake in the NW quadrant where I 88 meets I 39 - that is our Rochelle, IL site right next to the highways.
    Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

You always run the risk of a back up, but it's been pretty good for us lately. Speaking from a Wisconsin resident perspective, the scenic drive through the UP and MI coastline is a lot more relaxing and enjoyable then the drive through Antigo and endless fields of lower Wisconsin. Not that I don't like Antigo or anything...

Anytime we drive over to Bay City or other cities that are a toss up, we usually take the Northern route, but for 100 miles it might be worth dealing with the FIBs.
      Last edited by D_Allen_III; 07-22-2011, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Donny-
        Tell me where 39/51 goes throught Antigo? And I thought Darrells GPS was bad with navigation.

Dana- The only traffic you may run into in WI is on 90/94/39/51 heading to the 39/51 and 90/94 split off for the Dells.
        Last edited by 18W; 07-22-2011, 07:45 AM.
        DAVEY 18w

Comment

Come on Holt, you're always in a hurry. Relax....take the family to Mackinac Island, make an actual vacation out of it.

D Carl and his notebook can wait. Take the scenic route....there's nothing like it.
          www.trora.com

Comment

I could stand corrected Davey but I believe 294 would run you back to 94 and 45 would be the highway of choice to pick up off of 94. I've only been to Antigo a few dozen times, but I think 45 runs directly through the town. Wouldn't see the purpose of taking 94 over to 51, but I guess my mental GPS sometimes sends me on alternative routes sometimes.

Either way 51 and 45 both are boring as hell, so I would just drive around the top Dana.

Comment

Chicago

Dana,
              Do not know if you are northern or central ohoh, but you might consider going I-74 to I-39 then north into WS/MI. You bypass Chicago, a little longer, but when we go see the outlaws in Fargo from Indy, I always head that way.

Another way to get around the city would be up I-65 to mile marker 230, Roselawn exit, then west about 30 miles to Kankaee, Illinois and the I-57N to I-80 to tollway 355N then hook up to Rockford and on into WS/MI

Ray

Comment

BP's way is pretty good, I would go 294 to 290, 290 to 90, 90 to 39/51 What ever you do STAY OFF 90 thru the city there is construction. Check this link for construction on tollway

http://www.illinoistollway.com/porta..._schema=PORTAL

Comment

Dana,
                  I think Ray is right about the easy (slightly longer) way to Wakefield. We usually go west I-74 out of Indy to 39 north (Bloomington). You can stop by Depue and watch the pros, which is well worth the stop, or continue past the cheddar curtain on 39 / 51. When you get close to "U"per land the Garmin may take you on an interesting trip. You can stay on 51 to Hurley if your scared.

BK

Comment

If i where you I would go up and over. Chi town traffic sucks unless u hit it at 1:00am then it is pretty much non stop driving>
                    53w
                    Last edited by 53-W; 07-22-2011, 07:23 PM.

Comment

D,
                      Where were you at Rochelle? Get lost or something?

Comment

Originally posted by 94H View Post
                        When you get close to "U"per land the Garmin may take you on an interesting trip. You can stay on 51 to Hurley if your scared.

BK
                        Please explain... Planning on trusting the Garmin all the way out, including the U.P. Anything to know or steer clear of?
                        Future J dad!

Comment

It's not really a problem unless your low on gas. There's a back road path off of 51 which is quicker and the Garmin might direct you that way (think it's 519). We traveled that way last time and there wasn't much help if you need it. No gas stations and hardly any houses.

If you pulling a big rig, you might stay on 51 to Hurley. Anyone else have comments!

Looking forward to seeing everyone, hope I get to wear a jacket at night!

94H

Comment

I've driven most of those roads pulling a four place sled trailer in the winter and they are not bad

Comment

trusting the Garmin ???

GPS = getting people lost farther from civilization since 1995.
                              carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                              X