Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BP125V View Post
    25SSR?

also, does the boat count include pre-qualified drivers?

the majority of racers live east of the Mississippi, so certainly location has a lot to do with it.

Bill

PS Funny, Matt is right. those of us looking at the boat count and complaining about it are the ones who stayed home!

Complaining? Not at all sir.

What I wanted to point out is that the numbers shouldn't be overlooked or dismissed. This information should be part of our planning. These types of discussions need to be more prevalent at national meetings. Less of the tech talk and a deeper look into what’s happening within and outside the membership base. Where are we, where are we going, a membership strategy, etc.

The End.
    Last edited by 14J; 08-12-2010, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dagostino View Post
      Troy
      You should have gone to help with boat count!! I am sure they miss you!!

The Captain

If you've seen the size of me lately you'd know that I would take up to much pit space.

Comment

don't forget

Originally posted by 14J View Post
        Complaining? Not at all.

What I wanted to point out is that numbers shouldn't be overlooked or dismissed. These are the types of discussions that need to be more prevalent at the national meetings. Less of the tech talk and a deeper look into what’s happening within and outside the membership base. Where are we and where we are headed. A membership strategy, etc.

The End.
        Tom Sutherland recently pointed out in his Propeller article that there were only 17 Mod members who have raced west of the Mississippi this year.

Sorry for lumping you in with the complainers. You can now go back to busting on Reed.

Bill
        Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

Originally posted by BP125V View Post
          Tom Sutherland recently pointed out in his Propeller article that there were only 17 Mod members who have raced west of the Mississippi this year.

Sorry for lumping you in with the complainers. You can now go back to busting on Reed.

Bill
          So maybe central sites are worthy of conversation.

Don't get me started on Reed, if he wasn't too busy catering to Clark we would probably get a bump in the active participant number.

Off the facebook, need to get my racing fix for the day

Comment

My vote...DePue, Ill

[QUOTE=14J;162913]So maybe central sites are worthy of conversation.

First, let's get through this nationals, but just planting a little seed regarding central sites for nationals...DePue, Ill. 26 years and counting for hosting the PRO Nationals. The men's club and community support is outstanding. They really know how to do up a nationals. Why not back to back weeks? PRO then SO/MOD/J the next week. I know a number of PRO racers also race SO/MOD/J equipment. I would think back to back weeks at the same site would only help entries across all categories. For us coming from the northwest, just to and from DePue was a total of about 4,000 mi. So understandable, whether east to west or west to east, it is hard for some people to make the trek all the way from one coast to the other. Considering the tough economic times and hearing that entries are down in many areas a central site can't hurt.

I know national sites for the next few years have already been (semi) formalized, but I agree central sites for nationals would make a good agenda item to consider by all commissions at the next national meeting. Just my two cents.

Good luck to those attending the nationals.
            Jim

Comment

Agreed... GL
              Future J dad!

Comment

" Super " Nationals ?

If I am not mistaken , there was a thread either on HR or BRF that talked about a " Super " Nationals a couple years ago. One of the negatives that was brought up about DePue was the lack of pit area for a Stock/Mod nationals. While the west end of the shoreline is usually pretty full for the PRO Nationals the area around the boat ramp usually is pretty under utilized. Any over flow of trailers could be parked on the old football field like the PRO's tried , but only when the shoreline would fill up. It would take alot of cooperation from everyone , but I think DePue would be a do-able site. All we need now is the EPA and the Superfund site owners to step up to the plate and get the work on Lake DePue completed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Last edited by racingfan1; 08-12-2010, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Let's got to Hinton WV

Comment

You might be jumping the gun to automatically assume

.....that the folks that do and have done all the work for the PRO Nationals in DePue for all these years, would be either willing or capable of continuing that work for a week longer/after or a week before that event. I have some personal knowledge of how hard they work and the effort that goes into it, and what goes on just in advance can be exhausting, not to mention the actual participation of the vendors, concession stand workers that take time off their regular jobs, etc., during the race, and might not be able to take an additional week for this type event. Throw in the mix the volunteers that man the patrol boats, check for wrist bands entering the race site and parking lot for same, and all the other jobs done by the civic volunteers, and to try to duplicate that for another event that either takes place right before or right after could pose more problems than might be easily overcome, and maybe those who propose an event like this have even thought of. All these folks come from the local population, and all are enthused about boat racing or they would not do these jobs, but asking them to double their time and effort in successive weeks might be a little much.

I also remember attending PRO Nationals in Hinton, WV, and Bakersfield, Ca., some 30/35 odd years ago, and even though there were many more boat racers in the PRO Category at that time than now, attendance suffered because of the distances required for the folks from the east and west coasts to travel all the way across the country, so it is easy to understand the problem, especially in this time of economic hardship and high gas prices.

If this were me trying to figure something out for a more central location, the NBRA group seems to really have it's act together these days and is having some great races here in the midwest. Maybe everyone could put away the guns and knives for one BIG race, (APBA, AOF, and NBRA) that could benefit everyone that has a stock or mod rig? I am familiar with some of the race sites they have promoted and they are National caliber. And no, I haven't talked to anybody with NBRA, but the worst they could say is NO, or maybe HELL NO!!

Since I don't participate anymore and am not up to snuff on all the politics going on these days, and who hates who, maybe that would not work, but I seem to remember there was a peace treaty in place as recently as a couple of years ago and there were some dual sanctioned races at Alexandria, APBA and AOF I think. In fact I seem to remember that "old smoothy, "Chairman Eddy" was somewhat instrumental in that peace treaty. Maybe he could work his magic again. That would really pave his way to the presidency of APBA!!

One thing I do know , is this is an expensive hobby, and when you have equipment and can't run it for whatever reason, it doesn't do you or the sport any good. Might also be a way to really sell a sponsor a show, with a combined schedule and a large number of boats. Whatever solution is arrived at, seems a more central location would benefit everyone and share the pain of travel more than extreme east or west coast, even though it is certainly understandable why the spots are being traded the way they are now. The main question still is though, is it better for some to travel 500 miles and others 2500, and suffer for participants, or everyone share the pain equally or as well as can be done with the geographical situation where the boat racers are located as now exists.

Also last on this list, but certainly not last in order of importance, is the fact, as already mentioned, DePue has been THE PRO NATIONAL'S RACE SITE for the last 30 years, and save for a relatively short period of time while the lake was being dredged, for quite a number of years before that for the Outboard Club of Chicago, which held APBA Nationals there for a long time. Even though there have been some smaller mod and stock category races held there in addition to the PRO Nationals, if you want to start a war with the PRO Category, IMHO this would be the first shot, so you might want to be very careful what is proposed. A lot of folks could very well get their noses out of joint from that type of proposal, and cause more problems than it would ever solve. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Comment

Totally agree

Bill - Having been a member of the Mens Club in the past , I would agree with you that they probably would not be interested in doing both weeks. I was simply making a case for DePue as a possible site , politics aside.

Comment

California used to have the MOST pro drivers and probably now have the least. My theory is not EVERYBODY want to trek to YOUR neck of the woods for a championship. Furthermore there is NO central site seeing as though many mountain states have little to NO racers. If you wanna championship that bad get your gear packed and quit crying I AM SICK of hearing of a "centralized" spot. NO SUCH THING!!

Comment

???

[QUOTE=BP125V;162912]Tom Sutherland recently pointed out in his Propeller article that there were only 17 Mod members who have raced west of the Mississippi this year.

I'm not questioning Tom, but I'm a little confused. I know our numbers are not great in the northwest regarding Mod class participation, but only 17? Is this Mod memberships only, not including Super license, or membership across all categories? As I look at results on the APBA website I see 18 individuals alone from WA/OR/CA who are listed as having raced 850ccmh (FEH) at least once this year.

If I am missing something, please let me know
                          Jim

Comment

Mod counts

Hi Jim,
                            They way APBA counts a class is determined by how each individual fills out their yearly APBA membership form. Headquaters counts the box where you fill in your main category (#17 on the 2010 membership application). So if you hold a super license and check off stock you count in stock category only.
                            Hope this answer's your question...
                            If not feel free to email me at leijennings@hotmail.com

Lisa J Jennings
                            Modified Chief Scorer

Comment

Originally posted by LISA JENNINGS View Post
                              Hi Jim,
                              They way APBA counts a class is determined by how each individual fills out their yearly APBA membership form. Headquaters counts the box where you fill in your main category (#17 on the 2010 membership application). So if you hold a super license and check off stock you count in stock category only.
                              Hope this answer's your question...
                              If not feel free to email me at leijennings@hotmail.com

Lisa J Jennings
                              Modified Chief Scorer
                              I think this needs modified.
                              It seems to me if they get a super L . and race in stock and mod and pro.
                              they should be listed as members of ALL those cats.

"The Coffee Guy"
                              TEAM CAFFEINE
                              Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                              " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

reason for way APBA apportions category assignment??

Kev:

I would tend to agree with you about the way APBA is counting the membership of each category.

With that being said, there is usually always "method to madness". In other words, to understand why something is done a certain way, you need to understand the benefits to any one group of doing it that way.

I have NO idea if the situation that exists now is the same as some years ago, but APBA promotional/operating funds for each category (or whatever they call the funds now that the category gets from APBA for whatever purpose) used to be determined by the number of individuals registered in that category. In other words the more members, the more funds allocated for the specific purpose to that category, or at least that was what I and others were told at the time.

Some years ago the Antique members in the PRO Category split off from the PRO's and formed their own group, no longer considered as part of the PRO Category. I seem to remember that they were unhappy that their classes were not being included along with other PRO races being put on, and they thought they could do better on their own, or at least have more opportunitys to race. Some in the PRO Category considered it "good riddance" and were not unhappy to see them go. A few years later, for whatever reason, they came back to the PRO Category and were welcomed warmly. It was pretty much common knowledge at that time, that the reason (or at least one of the main ones) the PRO Commission welcomed them back was the additional membership it added, and in turn, additional operating funds for the category. As some say these days, "follow the money". If this policy is still in place, look and see what category the greatest portion of the folks who run APBA come from and then make your own conclusions.

Several years ago, "Chairman Eddy" Hearn, wanted to fold the PRO and MOD category into Stock and form a "super" category or whatever you might want to call it. I commented in a thread on HR at the time this was being discussed and promoted by him, that might be the reason for that proposal from him. His comment was something to the effect "very perceptive of you" or something similar.

Might be interesting to see if the way funds are allocated today to the different categories are membership based. That would probably answer your question. I really don't have any personal opinion one way or another about whether this is right or wrong, nor do I care at this point, but it might shed light on your question about why things are done the way they are.

Comment

Working...
                                X