This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PopPop View Post
    In Europe, they do not have J, AX, A, B, 20, C and D in both hydro and runabout to contend with. With those, the Mod equivilent along with Formula classes, Pro runabouts, and "sorta OPC" (Sport C and 44ss) we have classes for everyone from your kids to your grandmother. Even those who still think they are kids have classes and we try to cater to them all. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count them all. No matter what we do, we always wind up running about 5 heats/hour and no one can do the math. So we run the last of Saturdays races on Sunday and do that by running one-heat racing. There is no way the Europeans can imagine dealing with this nonsencical gaggle. We try to make everyone happy and wind up making no one happy. Spectators can't figure out what the heck is going on and we are hardly doing anything to make it more attractive to new members.
    I have no answers, just observations.
    Ya can't run all the classes,ya can combine like speeds, ya can have handicap starts. Ya can divide up catergories on seperate days and only run one day. Ya can run some catergories together and maybe not . But ya have to do something to improve our sport and thats what leadership is all about.
    Personaly I would like to see someone take a step and run some out of the box stock class and start to eliminate classes were equiptment has only limited sources.
    Pat Wright

Comment

Originally posted by NUT2F View Post
      Joel,
      Don't worry we(Peace River) will not go to this kind of class structure. We will schedule all classes and combine to fill classes, NO ONE SHOULD BE LEFT OUT!
      why thank you my good man
      89-F
      ,ASH,AXSH,OSY-400,20SSH

Comment

Why don't you run OPC only on one day. It will cut the divers cost in half.
        That still isn't the only reason it cost that much to put on a race.

Rob

Comment

I do believe that their are at least 6 or 7 Pro capsules down there, are they not thought of as a viable class in your plan?

RLR

Comment

Before you start cutting and combining classes you all need to decide who you are racing for?

Are you racing for spectators or racers? Might sound simple but I do not believe you can have it both ways.

If you are racing for racers what does it take to get them them to the races and keep them coming back?
            i.e...only schedule to top 15 most populated classes,
            find creative ways for each entrant to get the most bang for their buck while bringing in enough to cover race expenses.

If you are racing for spectators what do you need to get them to the races and keep them entertained and wanting to see you come back?
            i.e....put together a comprehensive "show" no longer then 4 hours. Get local business's involved, raise money for local charities.

Once you have established a basis for your racing then make a plan as to how you can best achieve that goal. If you have a goal directed plan you have a means to an end.
            Each Region may feel different as to the goal but in the end they may be able to boost the turnout of drivers and/or spectators and either way the sport grows.

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
            Tomtall 06

Comment

You can have your cake and eat it too.
              If you are racing for spectators, then run it APBA for the $6000 a week end and find good sponsors. Cut the classes to the productive ones for a good show. Combine if you need to to make it look good.
              On the other hand, if you are racing for the drivers, which is a good idea for water time (safety and experimentation), then run it AOF, run all the classes and boats, have a good time and pay only $200 for insurance for 3 days and $60 a sanction. Even with ambulance costs you can make money for your club treasury for the big races and everyone still goes home happy.
              This way every driver gets enough racing time during the year to make his equipment costs worth the price.
              That sounds like frosting on the cake your eating to me.
              And By the way, AOF is also an APBA club so you get your AOF points at the races that are put on APBA. Don't forget the agreement that was signed in Louisiana last year. This is a great way to keep boat racing alive!!! Use this new tool.

Comment

Originally posted by RLR View Post
                I do believe that their are at least 6 or 7 Pro capsules down there, are they not thought of as a viable class in your plan?

RLR
                They would be if they would ever show up!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Capsules

Nut2f. You are absolutely right about that. If they have a history of not showing, why. No answer, no race!!!!

When does the meeting take place to get all the players together and figure it out. It will take a benign dictator to do it, but someone has to have the ability to make the decisions and then support them and go have fun.

I completly agree with Kristi and Connie, pick who the race is for and then run it the way you know how.

RLR

Comment

Originally posted by AOFoffice View Post
                    On the other hand, if you are racing for the drivers, which is a good idea for water time (safety and experimentation), then run it AOF, run all the classes and boats, have a good time and pay only $200 for insurance for 3 days and $60 a sanction. Even with ambulance costs you can make money for your club treasury for the big races and everyone still goes home happy.
                    Question:

Insurance required by APBA - approximately $1800
                    Insurance required by AOF - approximately $200

What is the difference in coverage?

Thanks
                    Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
                    sigpic
                    Portland, Oregon
                    Johnson Racing

Comment

Mike,

Great observation.

The APBA insurance offers participant accident coverage. Up to 20k. Meaning...if you race without your own insurance, you have a security blanket. Plus it offers liablity for spectators. $5 million.

AOF'ers in the know...what does someone get with your coverage?

Comment

AOF: 2 million aggregate spectator liability insurance.
                        $2000 medical paid by AOF.
                        There is a big difference and APBA's is MUCH better...BUT and a big BUT,
                        most people should have their own medical anyway if they are planning on racing
                        and
                        When one or two million spectator liability works for the area, use it.

Using AOF over APBA to stage a race because of cost sure beats not having a race.

As long as we are all clear on the fact that you pay less and you get less, but it still works and gets you on the water (the old chevy vs. cadilac analogy), then we are all ok. Do what you can to put on races. Plain and simple. Not having races hurts us all.

Comment

You'd be surprised at how many boat racers DON'T have insurance.

In fact, APBA's premium went up for 2007 because of so many claims made in 2006.

Comment

Even if you have personal insurance it may not cover racing.

Comment

Dana, True,
                              However this really should not be a discussion about AOF vs APBA insurance. Racers shouldn't travel to a boat race without car insurance either, but some do.

It should be about not cancelling or putting on local races because of cost. If a race is a loser, but a good site, build it from the bottom using AOF. Once it is established and sponsors or particpation can pay for the race, then move it to APBA. This is a tool that can be used in region 5 or anywhere to build our sport.
                              Russ

Comment

Originally posted by dholt View Post
                                You'd be surprised at how many boat racers DON'T have insurance.

In fact, APBA's premium went up for 2007 because of so many claims made in 2006.

Dana,

I understand that millions of hard working Americans go without heath insurance every day but aren't you really pushing your luck by participating in a motor sport without having your own family or personal heath coverage. I never realize this was the case with APBA drivers. Sorry folks but if I cannot afford heath coverage for myself or family I have no business racing! I hope this does not offend anyone but my God how will your family take care of you after a serious wreck.
                                HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Working...
                                X