What happen to the Florida Winter Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happen to the Florida Winter Tour

Back in the day there was no such thing as the "off season" region 5 had a jam packed schedule of racing all winter long. Yeah I know its Probably a stupid question but I guess the answer falls under the it’s the “economy stupid” oh well :-) just thought I would throw it out there and see what I might reel in.

Thanks
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Be careful you might get a bigger fish than you want !!!

Comment

Dan, I think your talking about the "Grapefruit Curcuit"?

In the late 70's and into the 1980's FL had a series of races starting late in Feb or early March with 4-6 race weekends over an 8 week stretch known as the Grapefruit Curcuit.

By the 1990's there were not enough FL racers left to make the events break even financially. Also, several key racecourses became unavailable due to noise restrictions in newly built out residential areas.

Same old story coast to coast.

Brad W
      302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Brrrr not even warm enough to test this side of the country .

CMH. 61R
        Short Fuze Racing
        Team Darneille
        ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD CMH PROPS FOR SALE
        IF YOU HAVE ONE LET ME KNOW

Comment

Originally posted by B Walker View Post
          Dan, I think your talking about the "Grapefruit Curcuit"?

In the late 70's and into the 1980's FL had a series of races starting late in Feb or early March with 4-6 race weekends over an 8 week stretch known as the Grapefruit Curcuit.

By the 1990's there were not enough FL racers left to make the events break even financially. Also, several key racecourses became unavailable due to noise restrictions in newly built out residential areas.

Same old story coast to coast.

Brad W
          Yep that's it :-) here are a few photos of my Sport J rig #17 during our annual trek these photos were taken in December I forget the year. We raced with names like Harley Wilson, Web Mapoles etc.

This was actually the race where Web was killed I was like a ghost all the way back to DC :-( as you can see in the photos I had pit right beside Web and had been joking with him all morning long :-(
          Attached Files
          Last edited by HRTV; 01-25-2011, 04:26 PM.
          HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Webb Mapoles

I thought Webb was killed in New Orleans.

Comment

Originally posted by Popa Sam View Post
              I thought Webb was killed in New Orleans.
              There was a driver killed during this race for sure since I remember it like it was yesterday. I am almost 100 percent certain because I remember the Florida state police conducting the investigation right beside my pit area. Its been so many years agao that maybe I do have the wrong driver since I recall Web was killed in his Mod 50 boat I think.
              Last edited by HRTV; 01-26-2011, 10:58 AM.
              HTML Code:

Comment

Wish we could get back to those days.

Comment

Webb:

I did a bit of research and found that I was too far west for the location that Webb lost his life. His accident was while testing in the Florida panhandle.

Comment

Working...
                  X