Update! 2010 MOD WinterNationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update! 2010 MOD WinterNationals

Park Rangers notified Peace River Outboard that a potential problem may occur with the Jesup race in the spring. Officials have begun to drain the water from the lake and don't anticipate it returning to normal levels until June 2010.

Options available and being researched:

1. Peace River is looking for an alternative sight in Florida.

2. If a Florida sight is found the date may change to the weekend after Ocoee (March 20/21)to ease travelling plans.

3. Give the opportunity to host WinterNationals to another conducting club. Central Virginia Racing Assoc. has expressed interest in Tabor City, SC or Wilson, NC. (Perhaps on the original date of April 17/18.)

We do have a few potential sites in Central Florida near the Sebring area. This is about 5 - 6 hours South of Jesup and about 2 hours South of Orlando.

Would this stop anyone from making the trip to the event? Keep in mind most sites in Florida are difficult to get into with the open megaphones.

Peace River is open to any thoughts / suggestions at this point.
    444-B now 4-F
    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

I would like to vote for holding the Mod Nationals somewhere in Central/North Florida on the weekend following the Ocoee Stock winter nationals. I assume that many people running Mod also run stock which would make it easier on us that have to travel to run on two weekends in a row like we used to do in the Citrus circuit spring series. Also, many of us "Senior" racers are also involved with Antique Outboards/ Classic Wooden Boats which would give us another venue one weekend later, Mar. 26/28, at Tavares (Mt. Dora) FL. Maybe, even tho Mods motto is "Faster/Louder", that before race sites that will accept pipes continues to shrink, that going to a tuned internal stack would open up previous sites that have dropped us due to noise. Jerry Wienandt had proposed this to some chairman's of the division in the past but they weren't interested as the "Macho" image had to be retained. I hope we will not have to run our mod engines in test tanks to get the noise rush.
    Jon Walters

Comment

Howie, is Crescent City available for Mods? I always enjoyed racing there. Jack

Comment

As much as I like Jessup I would prefer to have the winter nationals someplace else if the race were run in March instead of April. I realize that most racers won't care but March works better for me.
        If we could not run open pipes then I doubt we would get enough boats to run A, 25, and D.

Comment

Crescent City is not available, apparently they now have a 35 mph speed limit on the lake.

We are actively looking for a lake and community that will accept the loud pipes.
          444-B now 4-F
          Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Nichols View Post
            Park Rangers notified Peace River Outboard that a potential problem may occur with the Jesup race in the spring. Officials have begun to drain the water from the lake and don't anticipate it returning to normal levels until June 2010.

We do have a few potential sites in Central Florida near the Sebring area. This is about 5 - 6 hours South of Jesup and about 2 hours South of Orlando.

this works real good for me. especialy the week after Ocoee.
            Heck Dad winters in Sebring
            I would do the booth and try to run 200mh or (FAH in old lingo) ifin i got it wrong for the NEW designation.

"The Coffee Guy"
            TEAM CAFFEINE
            Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
            " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

You'd definitly pull more boats if it were held the weekend after Ocoee.
              Future J dad!

Comment

Florida in March would be a nice breakup of a Northern NY Winter

Comment

How about asking to use Lake Lloyd? I am sure loud pipes are welcome there and I'm sure it would draw a lot of boats. I bet Charlie Strang knows who to speak to about it.

Comment

Working...
                  X