Denton 2011 ... Roll call!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denton 2011 ... Roll call!

Prospective dates are second weekend in July (9 & 10) or some time in October

Originally posted by Frank
    the volunteer fire department of denton is interested in helping put on a race there this year!!!!!!! they have formed a committee to review dates and are layout. dennis porter called me to give me the news just a few minutes ago. if the date and layout can be worked out we are a go.

abby and i spoke earlier and i will put dennis in touch with her. one of the weekends the fire department likes is july 9 and 10 the other date would be in october.

i was able to download google earth and got the maps i needed. the pits may be under the new bridge and use the ramp at the old marina. dave augustine and dave howard will be going there to review that area for the pits. dave is on a cruise and doesn't know he volunteered to do this yet john and i looked at it and we think it will work. the question is if the ramp is usable and the enterence to the pit is ok. if not there is another ramp to use. this is not a show stopper.

might be a good time to start a new thread and see who would be attending.

frank
    Like I said in the other thread, I will bring 3 850 hydros ... with 6's
    Last edited by sam; 03-10-2011, 08:32 PM.

that was quick sam

sam,

that was quick. i'll be there with a 500ccmh and if i get it together after tax season a 350ccmh. could have a second 500ccmh ian augustine may drive for me.

frank

Comment

If it must be in October, please consider that Millville is the 8th and 9th. A conflict with these two sites on the same weekend would severly hurt both as they would be pulling the same trailers.
      Future J dad!

Comment

october dates

greg,

abby looked up all the region 3 dates and came up with 10/22 and 10/23. i agree with you about having races on the same day. we have a finite number of racers and a finite number of rece sites, we don't need to clobber each other over dates. if all goes well we will have more time to plan a denton date for next year. the fire dept lied the july date.

frank

Comment

Two JSH and two JSR

We're in with two jsh and two jsr.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dust33
            Adding a one-day marathon would be sweet; and much needed in the northeast.
            I don't think that would work at Denton. Maybe at Sharptown.

Comment

Denton Update 4/15/11

hi all,

i'm almost out of the woods with tax season. i was contacted by another member of the denton volunteer fire company about the race and he told me that the fire company met last night and they are proceeding with plans for the race!!!!!! they have some questions that they will email to me and i will get out to the people who would know the answers. one question was the number of participants. they would like a number to help them with how much food to buy. so fellow racers keep posting here if you plan on coming to denton.

abby, i left you a voice message about another question. give me a call if you can. i will be in the tax cave for most of the weekend.

frank

Comment

Count me in for turn judge, patrol boat duty on both days. Also two dinners on both days :-) plus all the burgers and hot dogs I can eat between heats :-)
                HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Frank............if you are going to foot the bill for Dan's menu requirements, you need to find some more sponsors. He is an amazing enigma. Eats like there is no tomorrow and still stays at his racing weight. Good luck with that one.............(can I get a burger if I show up?)

Comment

Old Friends with BILL FLECK - OPC racer

Hi Dan Lawrence......Saw your post and just wanted to know if you tax you memory
                    you might remember me. I met you at Bill's shop one day in the 1970's and you were looking to buy one of his boats..I have known Bill since the early
                    60's. He got interested in racing and would go with me helping with such things as needed, rope starting the 44 Quincy, lifting getting wet up to the
                    --- and being the crew GRUNT, you know what that means. In 1969 I
                    was building a house and I told him if he would do the brick work he could back up to my shop and take everything that was there. 4 boat trailer, 3 hydros, 44 Quincy 4piper, 55H, 30H, and I think he got the 20H Conversion
                    and the Champ B Hot Rod. The very next race I went with him and after
                    a time had to get another couple boats. Bill and I live very close and we still
                    get together once in a while to play music and talk old time race memories.
                    Tim Lee was with us then too..(can't forget him)

Anyhow if you get the chance call me as I see you are willing to help at
                    Denton. As Frank, Dave and I (because I only live 10 mins. from there)
                    are putting a lot of effort into getting Denton back. It should be much
                    better now that the Town and Fire Co. and the local busines's are behind
                    this event. I raced there 30 + years. One time there was a free for all race
                    and they had 3 - 280 inboards and one 135 mod Hydro racing with all
                    us outboards. What a melee....boats overturned, some up in the lily pads,
                    over 35 starters.. Old Bob Thornton won with his Johnson PR.....

Kindest Regards.....ALVIN SANGER (D-SpeedlinersForever) 51-E / 53-E
                    141-E / 107-E

*I am the one who walks with crutches because of a motor cycle accident
                    in 1955. was at Daytona for the bike races and was just getting back within
                    3 miles of home and hit a truck right in the grille head on. put me in the
                    hospital for a year with just about every bone in my body broken. But I
                    still raced boats, fly airplanes, boat captain, R\C boats, and fish with a
                    passion. (If Feby was here he could tell some stories about fishing):
                    Last edited by D-Speedlinersforever; 04-21-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Proposed Racers Testing Day prior to DENTON RACE ...by ALVIN SANGER

Hi Guys.....Frank and I were talking about upcoming Denton Md. Race in
                      July which has been approved today by the COAST GUARD. There is an old
                      race site just down river from Denton about 7 miles which would make a
                      perfect place to hold an all day TEST for anyone interested in having a place
                      with a nice shoreline with beach, a boat ramp, NO SPEED LIMIT, No limit on
                      noise from the pipes, a place with no one living close by. Our racing club.
                      (Chespeake Outboard Racing Assc.) used to hold races there in the 1960's
                      and was the perfect place. You could come and spend the whole day
                      testing and really get a chance to have some good times with your equipment.
                      You could even hook up a 6 gal. tank and take an extended cruise down river
                      Don't forget to take you GPS. and watchout for low flying objects. (resident
                      geese and ducks)
                      It could take place the any time but would make sense to do it early so as
                      to get all the kinks out and try those different props out in an unhurried
                      day. May or early June might work best for most. I can provide all the
                      tow boats needed and probably a bouy for turn testing. Always room for
                      improvement there.
                      IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS OR WOULD BE INTERESTED IN SUCH
                      A TEST DAY ( WHICH COULD BE A LOT FUN GETTING TOGETHER) PLEASE
                      REPLY TO THIS DENTON ROLL CALL SO WE CAN KNOW TO START TO
                      PUTTING THIS TOGETHER.

I thank everyone for there comments.......Regards, Capt. Alvin Sanger
                      old time 135 cu. Inboard, DSH, DSR, CSH, F Alky (M75 w open exhaust)
                      44 Quincy, 36 class, BSH, C Service Hydro, and most anything else that
                      would halfway float an make noise..............

Comment

Testing noisy race motors is not 100% in Maryland ... you have to notify the DNR in advance. I think they ask for 2 day's notice, but I do not know of any instances where they did not OK it.

Basically the way it was explained to me was, if you do not call them ahead of time and someone complains, they will shut you down. But if you called in advance ... they'll tell the complainers to bug off, these guys have a permit.

From my experience the majority of Maryland Marine Police in the field are fans of boat racing.
                        Last edited by sam; 04-22-2011, 04:20 PM.

Comment

July good Sam
                          Earl 11 J........ Dangerous when Wet Runne Craft- Earl said, " Driving a Runne Craft is like Cheating". Dude, ........ Where's My Boat!

Comment

race site available, just need saction fees

hi all,

after a lot of hard work form a great group of people the race at denton has come down to sanction fees. the town of denton is behind the race 100% and the vol fire department is ready to go, but because of finances the sanction fees are not there for this year. ther has been $1000 committed by 2 individuals who want to see the race happen. is there anyone out there who would like to help out with the sanction? we have some time before the paper work has to be submitted. may 25th is the deadline but i've been in touch with the apba and they would work with us because this is a new site. i need to keep them posted.

anyone out there who would like to help? please reply or send me a pm or email at fjnbookkeeping@comcast.net

frank

Comment

heard from one racer

hi again,

well one racer has committed some money to the sanction fund. thanks a bunch! i remember way back in the day when some of the younger drivers weren't even born when there was a new race site in nc that the racers put on to have another site. that place was canden, nc. some of you may have heard of the place. the first race there we even had a pig roast. well this may be one of those races, minus the pig roast.

sorry if i sound like one of those people on public tv asking for donations, but we are so close. we have $1200 committed. wish i had a dvd of a race to give away

frank

Comment

Working...
                              X