Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in getting started.......

Hi,
    I'm looking for a mentor in the Norfolk, Virginia area that would be willing to help me get started in this sport. I have two kids, ages nine and eleven, that I'd like to build a boat for. I've built skip jacks as a kid growing up but never did any organized racing....it was just a bunch of teenagers tearing up Lake Cochituate. Our boats were similar to the Muskoka sea flea mini most boats. Are there any kits or plans available for building an age appropriate boat for my kids? I've been browsing this site but the extensive use of acronyms makes understanding the posts challenging. Thanks for any help provided.

The east coast guys will chime in. As a builder of boats it is fun, but buy one of the many cheap, tested and safe boats to get into the sport and get wet.

If you post what classes you want to race we will find you great starting equipment. If you do not know the classes just say like, " your age weight and how fast you want to go."

Comment

Age, weight, and class

My son is nine and my daughter is eleven. I'd guess they both weight about 60 lbs. I've been on the Sorensen site looking at boats and I'm leaning towards a Jackal J-A Runabout type boat but again I'm asking.....is this age appropriate for my kids?

My boat will come later. Hee,hee.

Comment

Contact Johne Runne in North Carolina.

H- 252-636-9007
        w- 252-638-3300 ext 6282

He is the Stock Outboard Steering Committee Chairman and a long time veteran of the sport.

Aside from being a boat builder, he can answer all your questions and get you pointed in the right direction.

The Junior Classes are where your kids can race (ages 9-15). Call John and you'll be on your way.

Dana Holt

Comment

First and foremost welcome aboard! If I might make a suggestion before your purchase any gear or boat plans have your kids sign up for the J-Boat Project which is right in your back yard. By joining the J-Project first this will help you to gauge how interested your kids really are and might even save you a few bucks if it turns out its just not their cup of tea.

Welcome!

http://www.clarksvillehydroplane.com/education.htm
          HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Yes
            Your kids ages put them in the J classes. JR- J runabout JH- J hydroplane
            The 12 year old can also run the ASX classes ASXH and ASXR
            The Mercury J motor is the dominant motor in all of the J classes (J and ASX)
            WELCOME to the family!

"The Coffee Guy"
            TEAM CAFFEINE
            Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
            " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

Your kids are the perfect age to get into racing.

Here is the supplier and boat builder list posted on here:
              http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/att...1&d=1165514322

You'd be looking at the "J" Hydro and/or "J" Runabout boats/outfits to suit their age. J's are for ages 9-15.

Welcome!
              Fralick Racing
              Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

fhafr,
                Keep updated with this post and definitly talk to john runne. There is one thing you can count on and thats getting help. A boat racers best friend is the person he is pitted next to. In my opinion after a while you will realize boat racers are all one big family
                sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Wow

I was totally unaware of the J-Boat program. That's perfect for starting new racers. We need that down here!

Comment

Originally posted by SAWYER View Post
                    I was totally unaware of the J-Boat program. That's perfect for starting new racers. We need that down here!
                    I agree its a great place for the kids to start before you spend any money.
                    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Dan, how are they handling the motor side of that equation?

Comment

Originally posted by fhafer View Post
                        My son is nine and my daughter is eleven. I'd guess they both weight about 60 lbs. I've been on the Sorensen site looking at boats and I'm leaning towards a Jackal J-A Runabout type boat but again I'm asking.....is this age appropriate for my kids?

My boat will come later. Hee,hee.
                        This is the best kind of news one could ask for in boat racing !!!!
                        John Sherlock

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man
                        standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by SAWYER View Post
                          Dan, how are they handling the motor side of that equation?
                          Not sure Gary Pond is the best one to answer that.

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...ght=portsmouth
                          HTML Code:

Comment

The rest of the story...

I used to drag race back in the 1990's then the US Government sent me on an all expense paid trip to Guam for two years so I had to sell my car. Upon return we started having kids. Recently, my spousal unit said I could get another car so I started shopping for a front engine dragster. My kids weren't really interested in participating in drag racing but I know a gentlemen here in Norfolk that mentioned boat racing and they both became interested. Sooo, here I am. I think Jerry mentioned something about beginners courses. I'm planning on attending E. City 16 May.

Comment

I agree with Dan - take eveyone to a race or 2, get hooked up with the J program and see if your kids can get a ride to see if they like it etc. Many people walk in to the sport and for whatever reason, for some it does not fit. You are much better off to start slow, dip you toe in and see if this is something the whole family wants to do. When everyone is on board, then you can start looking at boats, etc. There are many builders out there, some even build kits, others supply plans. Every boat builder in the sport is great and all their boats preform well - however, make has it's own pro's and con's based on driving style and comfort.

Also, I would not shy away from looking into the used boat market, especially for the J (kids) classes. Kids tend to outgrow everything before they are used up and rigs are no exception. Another advantage with used equipment is someone has already done the homework to make it run. This helps with the learning curve of both kid and Dad.

There are many racing families and several races in your area. Get to a race and talk to the racer. That should be your first step in getting started.
                              Brian 10s

Comment

Working...
                              X