Top O Michigan Marathon question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top O Michigan Marathon question

Can someone confirm what size gas tank for A runabout needed to complete marathon race.
    I've been told between 4 1/2 to 5. Don't won't to run out before I reach my goal

I run with 4 gallons and usually have 1 gallon left in the tank after the finish.
    Retired racer turned bartender

Comment

Thank you. So the 3 1/2 gallon tank should be enough?

Comment

Ask Michael...

and then add a pint! If you mention this to him, he'll know why I said it. It was not a good day for him...
        -Kevin

Comment

Not always

Thank you. So the 3 1/2 gallon tank should be enough?
          My son runs a 3.5 gal. tank. Last year at the end of the first day he finished with a cup of fuel to spare. The rougher it is the more fuel you will use. 42M is correct in running a 4 gallon tank to play it safe. You can't place well if your asking a home owner for fuel at his dock. Well ----- most the time.

Good luck!
          Tom L.

Comment

Weighing 125lbs... the extra weight doesn't hurt either

Comment

3 1/2 will do it but take 4, you don't want to get almost all the way back and run out......Hmmm come to think of it sometimes getting towed back can be fun too!

Gootz

Comment

Thanks for advice. I will be adding another gallon tank somewhere in or outside of boat.

Comment

Back when I ran A (yes, I used to fit in an A)… I had a 3 ½ gallon tank and never had any problems. They are right though, if it’s rough (really rough) you’ll burn more than usual. Mounting a second tank can complicate things, so be careful of how and where you mount it. One piece of advice, make things as SIMPLE as possible. It’s amazing how some of the littlest details can ruin your weekend. Another solution would be to just strap a half gallon up in front of your steering column under your deck. If you run out, it’ll only take a few seconds to splash some in your tank to finish.

Comment

Some good advice from these folks. I agree. Feel free to ask away with more questions. We all want to see everybody finish the race.
                    You're gonna have a blast at Top O'! It's the most challenging AND rewarding race you'll ever do.

Comment

last year i ran for the first time. I ran about 4 gallons on the main tanks and they ran out in the start of the river each day. Lucky i had the closed course tank filled up for a spare and was able to connect that and finish each day.

unforgetable experience to cross that finish line.
                      ----
                      Graham18ce
                      Team Canada ThunderCat
                      Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
                      Twitter @FralickRacing
                      Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

I tried this race about 10 years ago and never made it. A wave punched a hole through the bottom of my runabout and I was sinking when a local fisherman saved me and boat. Used about a gallon of West epoxy to patch and tried again on day 2. Waves were so high, I don't think one A runabout got on plain. I'm determine to make it this time. Sounds like I may need more than 4 gallons though. I'll have to be creative on where to put a third tank if I can find one. Thanks for everyone's help. Can't wait!

Comment

I had three in total. I have a long one running in the right side deck form the transome to the dash, another vertical in the cockpit on the left side about 14" tall soi could still get in the back of the boat, these two were connected with a T line. and then a third on the back of the motor board. This was my standard close course tank and wasn't supposed to be used, i was just using it as emergency fuel if the tanks didn't work as they hadn't been tested so i didn't know if they would leak. I also figured with all the extra fuel in the boat and beeing so far forward, the extra weight would be good to have that far back.
                          I did finish both days in the little closed course boat but i did need the emerg fuel both days. It was a thrill and i certainly plan on doing it again in a boat more purpose built for it.
                          ----
                          Graham18ce
                          Team Canada ThunderCat
                          Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
                          Twitter @FralickRacing
                          Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

So Graham with the new addition to the family what your Top O' plans this year?

Comment

Working...
                            X