Stan Fitts remembered......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stan Fitts remembered......

It is with deep sorrow that we inform the racing community of the passing of Stan Fitts. Stan may have been from Region One, but his heart and soul was APBA and the love of the sport.

Although an accomplished racer with a couple of National High Point Championships on his resume, it was his no nonsense business and administrative skills that we will remember. He still attended the South Shore Outboard meetings and his enthusiasm and passion were contagious. Words cannot express how much we will miss this man.

South Shore Outboard Assn

Two Fitts Racing..........

As a 12 year old growing up in New England i remember Stan and Steve Fitts Racing their big ole 36 Runabouts!! They were both bigger than life.

RIP Stanton T. Fitts.

Matt D'Agostino- Bill Kneeland and Company

Comment

I agree with Matt, also have known the Fitts brothers since I was kid. Stan has always be a major force and supporter of outboard racing throughout New England as well as the country. Stan will be missed by everyone that knew him. My condolences to Stan and Steve' family. R.I.P. Stan

Comment

RIP Stan

The old guard will always remember the “Two Fitts Racing Team” - brothers, competitors and great sportsmen. Stan was always a driving force, making the South Shore Outboard Association one of the premier boat racing clubs in the country. His tireless work at APBA headquarters and positions held was a testament to the sport he loved. I am proud to have had Stan as my friend. He will be missed. Condolences to the Fitts family.

Comment

RIP Stan Fitts

I will miss Stan, I last saw him at the Kingston race last fall. He has done a lot over the last 5 decades for APBA, Region 1 and SSOA. Stan was one of my father's best friends.... I remember Stan's ability to stay on topic at the Region meeting and his keep knowledge of Robert’s Rules! Those wonderful times of Motel-room gatherings, banquets in Maine and his time with us at our family’s summer camp on Sebago Lake. He gave of his time, talents and resources without the thought of repayment. Stan was a champion racer, successful businessman and Honor Squadron recipient. I will miss him….. People like him are very scarce these days.

Comment

Please add my thoughts to Stan Fitts tributes

I had never met Stan until the Induction for the Class of 1986 Hall of Champions held in California that year. I was very proud to attend in HOC inductions as a new member of same, along with Todd Brinkman who was also inducted that same year.

My wife Eileen and I were sitting in a lobby area just outside the area where the induction was to take place when Stan sat down in a nearby seat and proceeded to make small talk about where were we from, what category did I participate in, etc. I could very well be mistaken, but I believe in 1986 he was President of APBA, if not held a prestigious office of some type, and I had heard his name many times in association with various endeavors that were important to the organization.

For this reason, and not least of all the fact that I had just attained one of the highest honors that APBA could bestow for accomplishments on the race course, I thought to myself, "who better that Mr. Fitts, and what better time than now" to approach taking care of what I had perceived to be a gross miscarriage of justice by APBA with one of the competitors who at great expense to them, and also adding several thousands of dollars to APBA coffers, had been denied what they had spent the money and made the attempts on the water for.

So the reader will understand the story and the frustrations behind it, I need to tell you about a record attempt by an Electric Boat in the mid-70's. This attempt was made by the Eagle-Picher Corp. from Joplin, Mo., who had been involved for many years in developing and manufacturing batteries for the aerospace, military, and other industries here and around the world. They are the company who designed and manufactured the battery's that powered the Lunar Rovers that provided transportation for our astronauts while on the moon.They wanted to set a record, both Kilo and 1/4 mile Drag for a boat powered by an electric motor and batteries that they had developed and manufactured.\, as they alrady held records for a car made from a WWII belly tank from an airplane, and also a battery powered helicopter. I agreed, with help from other in the boat racing community to build the boat, develop the power unit, test with a regular motor and the boat weighted with lead bars to equal the wgt of the boat with batteries installed, and all the other things that lead up to setting these records. Over a period of 6 months all this was accomplished with records being set both for the Kilo and the 1/4 Mile. Now the frustrations began that would last 10 years before it was all resolved.

Over that period of time, after all the paper work had been completed, all monies paid, etc., APBA failed to issue the certificates for the record for the 1/4 Mile Drag course. EP had spent over 100K on this effort, which was real money in that time frame and rightfully wanted the record certificates which were also certified by UIM. I spent many hours on the phone with various officials of APBA, wrote many letters, and just generally was put through the most frustrating procedures time after time, and never was there a resolution to the problem. Worse than that, no one would or could tell me what was wrong, in fact the opposite, The paper work was correct, we (all the officials for the trial) had done everything correctly, there was no reason for this delay and non-issuance of certificates of achievement. (the records)

So finally when I met Stan Fitts, and he agreed to help after a full explanation on my part, and also sending him the copies of all the documentation I had kept for 10 years, EUREKA, the records were accepted and all was right with the world!!

I asked Stan when all was over, just what was the problem that it had taken this long, when everyone had done all the right things, and all he said (or could, I never asked) was it was "bottled up" in the bureaucracy of APBA.

Here APBA had an opportunity to shout to the world, their part in the setting of both these records when the whole US was looking for alternative energy sources, and sat on their hands, In addition they never sent anyone to view the record attempts. Wayne Baldwin, in his part time work as a correspondent for a major Boat Racing publication of the time, Powerboat Magazine, took many photos of the attempt and wrote a very good story that appeared in the magazine.

I still remember one of Stan's comments, after he had pushed all the road blocks out of the way, which was "APBA really had a chance for great publicity, but they blew it" end quote.

So, Mr. Fitts, I did not know you well at all, but in my memories, you are the epitome of what APBA should be, and in addition a good guy also. Too bad there are not more like you.
            Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 02-22-2014, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Stan Fitts

Fondly remembered !!
              !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

Stan Fitts RIP

After reading Bills post about Stan, I remember Stan's unique ability to get things done. At a club meeting or a Region meeting, if someone took the initiative and had a good idea, Stan would be the first to make a motion that would appropriate the amount of money that would make it happen. He was able to delegate to others and allow these people some latitude to get the job done. Stan was all in favor of a good idea. He was a hard worker and an unselfish advocate of boat racing. Many times....and without anyone knowing, Stan funded certain things for the good of boatracing..... he expected no attention or gratitude and preferred that no one knew about it. Stan was 100% behind his APBA organization, from grass-roots racing through to everything that APBA was involved with.... It doesn't surprise me that the difficulties that APBA has had in recent years seems to parallel Stan's health. I can't say it enough- Stan was a remarkable man and he will be missed in so many ways!
                Last edited by B1PRORACER; 02-22-2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Met Stan at the snowmobile Snow-X races 2009 at Peek-N-Peak ski resort 10 minutes from my home in Clymer, NY. near Erie ,Pa.
                  Went there with my helmet and yellow Kevlar to talk boat racing in the pits.

https://hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15482

Someone noticed my APBA jacket and asked if I knew the Snow-X race director Stan Fitts?
                  I said I heard he was once a APBA director.
                  Met Stan at registration (Wearing his APBA shirt!) and he asked why I was carrying a helmet......"I came to RACE" I said......Were's your sled?.....I don't have one...I used to race back in the 70's......Any to barrow like at a boat race?......With a grin he set me up!!:

Glynn Desilva in pics lent me his #460 Ski-Doo (Glynn smoked his age group that day! with this sled) and I entered it in the 40+ age group....I Nailed the start and lead the first lap....Then being in the great phys overweight shape I am....Fell to last quickly
                  .........< #460/100N
                  They still gave me a trophy for effort AND last place!!

Thanks for the opportunity STAN!!........Great Guy!!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 02-25-2014, 02:31 PM.
                  100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Working...
                  X