pump gas konig 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pump gas konig 500

anyone run pump gas on konig 500 here?i,ve learn on a old konig broucher these engine can be convert to run gasoline with a simple change on the main jet.but result with total 15% power lost.anyone have done it?i need to know what main jet size to be used.and have i need to decrease the head compression?anyone have race these motor with pump gas pls help......regard......

Last Place

Originally posted by lcp8410 View Post
    anyone run pump gas on konig 500 here?i,ve learn on a old konig broucher these engine can be convert to run gasoline with a simple change on the main jet.but result with total 15% power lost.anyone have done it?i need to know what main jet size to be used.and have i need to decrease the head compression?anyone have race these motor with pump gas pls help......regard......
    All true, but why would you want to do this. Are you interested in Last Place?

Comment

He probably wants to run an obsolete motor and doesn't want to bother to buy methanol for it because its not available locally for him.

Comment

Back in the 1960’s a friend of mine, an engineer at Mercury, acquired a 500 Konig (we called it 30 cubic inch back then). We were at a race and I was going to run it but we couldn’t keep it running. He couldn’t figure out what was wrong. We gave up. He brought it again to the next race and it ran perfect; if I remember correctly I won both hydro and runabout classes with it. I asked what he did and he told me that he remembered that they had had it on the dyno at Mercury running it on gasoline with gasoline jets in it and he had forgotten the previous week. The only difference was that he had put alcohol jets back into it. He might have changed the ignition timing too, I don’t know. But the answer is yes you can run a Konig on gasoline. Also around that same time Mid-States Racing Club was running Quincy Flatheads on gas and oil.

Comment

I don't think it is the availability of methanol. Methanol can be found through chemical distributors and Power Mist will ship it to you if you need it! I think the advantage would be not having to fog the engine each time you use it. The heat would need to be watched because of the compression ratio... perhaps a volume increase would work well in the combustion chamber- a cylinder head gasket. Then you could increase the timing (BTDC) and see a little better performance than just changing fuel and jets.

Comment

pump gas konig 500

sam are rigth. methanol not available locally for me.thats is the reason i need to convert these engine to run gasoline.power drop is not a issue for me.i just need it to be run rigth with correct undersize mainjet, cylinder compression and ignition timing.i heard in sa someone done the same thing in the se class(850cc) they race these engine with pump gas.....someone must have done it here....hope someone will show me the rigth way to convert these engine....thanks.. regard....

Comment

I mentioned the Konig that was purchased by Mercury and run on their dyno on gasoline. This was one of the first 4 cylinder Konig motors brought into this country. It was piston ported with 4 Bing carburetors. Bing makes carburators for various applications so it was simple to run it on gas—just take the alcohol jets out and put a set of stock gas jet in.

Although you don’t say so I imagine that you have a rotary valve model with carburetors built by Konig. In that case you will have to take your jets out, solder them up and drill them out smaller. How much smaller, I don’t know. I suggest you get in touch with Konig Guru, Steve Litzell. His contact information is on the Konny website: konny.cz

Comment

http://www.rb-designs.com/ can re-work the combustion chambers to lower the compression ratio.
                Last edited by David_L6; 01-19-2012, 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by lcp8410 View Post
                  methanol not available locally for me.thats is the reason i need to convert these engine to run gasoline...
                  -not politically correct, but if u have a source of E85 locally,
                  it will run fine on that. Some of the synthetic oils will mix with it,
                  but Klotz /Powermist would be best.
                  Brian Hendrick, #66 F
                  "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Working...
                  X