MJR Composites Closing Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJR Composites Closing Business

After 20+ years of designing and building racing boats, I have decided to retire from the boat designing and building business and close MJR Composites. I have spent an enormous amount of time thinking about this decision and have just decided that I would like to do other things in my life now and spend more time with my family.

I have sold the PRO business, which consists of all the PRO plans, nose piece and rear cowling molds, to Thompson Bros Raceboats (TBR for short), which is Nic and Ben Thompson, so please contact them if you would like to have a PRO boat built, need PRO plans or PRO fiberglass rear cowlings.

Also, I have sold the Stock and MOD plans and front and rear cowling molds to Mike and Teresa Phillips, the owners of Hydroracer.net. They will be building boat and selling plans under the new name of Montana RaceCraft (MRC for short) and will reference formerly MJR. If anyone wants a Stock or MOD boat built or wants plans to build their own, please contact them.

Over the years, all of the MJR owners and drivers have made us very proud of the many accomplishments you all have had with your MJR boats. The biggest accomplishment that I am most proud of is that I am one of the very few, if not the only hydro designer/builder in the history of Stock, MOD and PRO racing to have boats that have won National Championships in all three divisions of Stock Outboard, MOD and PRO. We have a FEH National Championship with Dave Mason, We have numerous C-Stock hydro Championships with Mike Perman and J. Michael Kelly and we have multiple 350cc and 250cc PRO championships with David Mitchell, Zach Malhiot and Dan Kirts in the first ever all Capsule Nationals at Depue.

I am also very proud to have been the only hydroplane designer to offer CAD generated plans for every class in the Stock, MOD and PRO divisions. These plans have been the base of knowledge that have produced some of today's exceptional boat builders and future boats builders to come, such as Steve Sawyer, Mike and Tony Perman, Rick and Skippy Wagner, Mike Phillips, Dave and Davey Augustine, Dave Mason, Nic and Ben Thompson, to mention a few.

Looking back I have so many people to thank for your support, help, and feedback. You have been the driving force that pushed me to continue making better and safer product. Along the way I have also had many critics which always gave me the added push I needed.

Thanks for all of your support thru the years and I will see you around at the races.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Composite Specialties; 09-28-2010, 06:46 AM.

Thanks for the opportunity Marc.

There will be a Montana RaceCraft web site up shortly and in the interim people can reach either Mike or I through hydroracer! We are excited to start this new endeavor.

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

We have learned a lot from the CSH that J Michael drove and the trials and errors of my C Mod so we are planning on offering the plans as Marc made them and also working and developing the next generation of boats with small refinements, our "Elite" line.

I will be working especially hard on a line of Laydown boats for the not so fit senior racers that want to be compeditive but just can't really kneel down anymore. We also would like to develop a kit for some classes to help folks save money but it will all take time.

Right now we will have to get all the equipment together and set up. Plus we have some learning to do with the CAD program. Give us at least a month to get it all together. We will keep everybody informed.
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Marc:

Sorry to see you getting out of the sport as far as boat building and designing. We have far too few of your capability as is. I also very much appreciated your support a few years ago on the "radio rule" proposal in the PRO Category. Unfortunately "politics" and lack of good judgement had it's way with that situation.

I had just given your name and number to a guy in SC last week, who was wanting to build a new boat. I will be seeing Ben and Otis at Lake Alfred next month and pass the info on to them. He had an old Ben Hur he and his father built 30+ years ago, and found while trying to restore it that it was a lost cause, and was wanting to build something newer design and possibly get into racing.

Good Luck in any future projects. I am sure someone like your self, as attentive to detail as is obvious in your work on racing boats, will always be successful in whatever you attempt.

If you make it to Lake Alfred, be sure and look me up, as I would be pleased to meet you. Todd Brinkman or Ray Rodda could point me out.

Bill Van
        Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 10-05-2010, 12:18 PM. Reason: meaning

Comment

Bill have him call me 407-947-8692
          Nic Thompson

www.tbrboats.com

Comment

Thanks and Best Wishes for the Future

Thanks Marc for helping us with the Mitchell motor sale shipment, your valued composite materials integration expertise in boat building, and your astonishing hydroplane structure innovations for our water sport. You have made a GREAT contribution to the sport of outboard boat racing and developed some awesome performing, PRO class boat designs (especially in the PRO 250/350, 700cc-plus capsule boats, and OSY 400/CSH classes.)

It was a pleasure to talk with you via email and meet you in person at Depue and Lake Alfred. I wish you the best in your future endeavors. You are a class act and valued person to have known and dealt with over the years.

Don't be a stranger here if you need any prayers for unforeseen family health problems in the future, or just want to give us an update on some good news cocerning family or personal events of interest to your extended family here on HR.

Best Regards Always,
            Al Peffley
            R-25

Comment

congrats mike and teresa that is really cool you now have MY dream job / pat martin

Comment

Originally posted by marteni View Post
                congrats mike and teresa that is really cool you now have MY dream job / pat martin
                I will feel better about your dream job after we get our first order
                Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Marc,
                  Your work will be missed. I hope that you will stay involved in boat racing in some way. What a good friend you have been for so many many years. You are a joy in our lives.
                  Just enjoy some time now. Being a little bit involved in how boat building works through the Krier Race boats, or as David Weaver calls it, "The Iowa Surfboard Co", I know that building race boats involves passion, and keeping our sport alive. It certainly isn't about making money. If one figured how much you make per hour you would have quit a long time ago, I am sure. You make beautiful boats and passing that on to other dedicated and nice people is a plus to our sport.
                  I will see you on the bank watching the races.
                  Love to you always,
                  Connie Payn

Comment

thanks marc you may or may not remember helping me with my first design

good luck in your new adventures

scott aka AFR
                    sigpic

Comment

Remember Marc's plans and hull designs are still alive and kicking over at Montana RaceCraft. Looking to build a new boat, see our ad on the portal page and give us a call!

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

order

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                        I will feel better about your dream job after we get our first order
                        let me be the first one two large cheeze pizza,s please and a coke thks

Comment

Special thanks

The closing of MJR Composites is definitely sad news indeed. Marc has been a great person to have in the sport. Stahl Racing owes a lot to him and his business over the years. It has been a special honor to be a MJR factory driver. His innovation and creativeness has been unparalled by none. He has never been afraid to try new things. Not to say there aren't other great boat designers/builders out there. There are. But Marc is unique. He is always looking for ways to make the boats better and safer, which is a driving force in advancing the sport of boat racing. Proof is in the pudding so to speak. Having championships in various classes and categories isn't something just anyone can claim. This did not make him just settle either. He was always looking for better. He also had to face a lot of adversity and critics. He always took it with a grain of salt. I saw it happen plenty of times when a new boat was revealed and went to it's first race. Funny how after it went out on the course or by the time the weekend was over, those comments ceased. When he wasn't able to be at a race, he was always only a phone call or email away. He initiated contact as well, always wanting to know race results, what happened, or what did someone need. I could go on and on. Long story short, thanks for a great ride/s Marc. You are and will remain a great friend. Enjoy your retirement, you deserve it.

I wish the new business owners well. Good luck on your new endeavors and may you have many boat orders. I can't speak for the owners to the West, but I do know the Thompson brothers do quality work and have a long history in the sport. I have utmost confidence in them.

Mark Stahl & Stahl Racing
                          Speed costs money. So, how fast do you want to go?

Comment

drafting and 3d modeling for hydros

I can do drafting and 3d modeling if it helps.
                            I have access to laser cutters also.
                            glad to see the legacy lives.
                            Jason

Comment

Working...
                            X