Chargin Charlie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jerkizoid View Post
    Fiberglass repairs complete. Epoxe Resin poured into the chine crack while boat is on its side then layer upon layer of glass grindings and hair dropped in and packed from the bottom up. A seringe worked well to add a layer of resin one squease at a time and them mixed into the cavity. Under deck plywood reattached with mat and epoxe.
    Robin spend 3 hours cleaning cootees. May bring it to Waites without motor if anyone is interested. Looking for an 85 or later Ford 302.
    Boyd you big tease! post some pictures of Robin's hard work. If you make everybody wait until Waitt's Lake we may all forget what the boat looks like!

Comment

Shorter than most.

It will be fun to see a real E-boat , with a real E-boat cubic inch motor run. I'm sure Drewbee can build you a motor than can be representative and respectible for the old class. Good luck with your project.

Comment

so you want pictures, forget it..........trust me its a bad moped with chevy power....Ror is procuring the engine.

Comment

Well if Ror is doing the power then you guys should be ready by Waitt's lake, Right?

Comment

Originally posted by boatguy222 View Post
            Well if Ror is doing the power then you guys should be ready by Waitt's lake, Right?
            Yep, Waitts.....2012
            sigpic

Comment

goodguys swap meet

found a cherry Isky 505 roller cam for it! We ran one of these in the Diamond Lil dragster way back when. Only ran 168mph in a 358!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerkizoid View Post
                found a cherry Isky 505 roller cam for it! We ran one of these in the Diamond Lil dragster way back when. Only ran 168mph in a 358!
                Perfect...The cam that the engine has has two lobes loosing hardfacing. Let me know if I need to look for lifters, solid or hyd.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Five O View Post
                  Perfect...The cam that the engine has has two lobes loosing hardfacing. Let me know if I need to look for lifters, solid or hyd.
                  I thought you guys were running a Ford in that boat? boy, I just can keep up! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by boatguy222 View Post
                    I thought you guys were running a Ford in that boat? boy, I just can keep up! LOL
                    The problem is you were thinking.... We have been trying to avoid that for years...

Yeah, now its gittin a SBC
                    sigpic

Comment

update

Charley has some improvements: chine repair neccessary from the addition of balsa filler to extend the chine lower to the bottom (used to be an inch higher stock and now lowered app 2") and a crash cracked this area.
                      Many hours were spent carefully applying epoxe resin via a vet hyperdermic needle one bead at a time and stuffing glass filings and mat strands down the entire fill area. Of course this would not be possible if Jimmie had not loaned his boat rotisery to let gravity set those materials in the correct spot. The crack appeared to be 2 to 3inches deep and 28 inches long.
                      Attached Files

Comment

more

Note, the whole boat bottom and sides has been blueprinted (filled and reformed) with that pink stuff (body bondo) and there is where the problem lies, bondo absorbs water. Peelin goin on everywere thats 1/8 to 1/4" deep. This all has to be ground out and replaced with figerglass reinforced marine filler. I have more itching going on than a poison ivy victim! Robin and I are quite excited to bring this one off prototype to life! I found a 1965 sbc 327, shouldnt this boat deserve a period correct engine?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looking great Boyd. Im ready to prime/paint anytime. All my weekends are free for a while. I moved that wood boat out so I have plenty of room here or I can come there and spray those areas. Just let me know.

A period correct 327 would be great, but I keep buying parts for this 350??? Pistons came last week. ARP fastners came yesterday. Crank should be done next week. After the short block is together, Ill finish the heads.
                          sigpic

Comment

hey, you guys better hurry up the race is next weekend!

BTW She is looking pretty good!

Comment

More

Paul Grichar also drove this boat. Talked to the Legend yesterday and he had already heard of Robins good fortune so he talked and talked. Seems Al came to Burley with this craft 2 days early for testing (which anyone can do) and Paul helped with the set up. There were rudder-steering issues I am told and Kip raced it that weekend. Anyone know how it fared against competition?

Incidently Win Phillips from Wyoming recenty recovered from surgery and is now doing well. He was puttering around the Gritches' engine shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Five O View Post
                                The problem is you were thinking.... We have been trying to avoid that for years...

Yeah, now its gittin a SBC
                                Ya but I got all the stuff for an all aluminum 427! Decisions decisions.

Robin stated she would like to go around the Burley Island once or twice...

Comment

Working...
                                X