No announcement yet.

This how the money given to Crown Partners should have been spent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, here comes the issue as a newbie sees it. Sure everyone is upset about $$ for CP. That is in something that I don't think we fully understand the benefit, impact or failure. That's done, nothing we can do but move forward and support it. Tearing it down is not going to stop it.

Driver's schools work. I am living proof, and next year, there will be 4 of us on the weekend in the back of the pack, laughing and enjoying it, because I went to one school in one afternoon. That brought one back into classics, myself into 20ssh, my bro in C, and my son in J. At another club this summer I brought it up when they were complaining about numbers, and the response is "we don't have time to put the school on." Of course that club members had time to sit around on Friday afternoon and relax/work/socialize in the pits. Seriously?

Yes, I have literature in my trailer, and a rolling sign on the enclosed trailer. Do you know how many custom officials in Detroit when crossing the border to test are inquiring about the type of racing? I also have hats and shirts and soon to be jackets for my team. Do you know how many times sitting on a west bound plane, I have been asked what do I race based on my ball cap? (4 in the past week)

The answer is not sitting in front of our computer, complaining that things don't work and hoping that if I spend $5.00 more on my dues someone else will fix it. The answer is being proactive in our community and supporting local races and clubs. The answer is being available to talk to the guys at the gas station, the races, or the little league games.

We can not "pay" for someone else to do the work, we need to do the work ourselves!
    When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

Comment

Originally posted by DtwSailor View Post
      Guys, here comes the issue as a newbie sees it. Sure everyone is upset about $$ for CP. That is in something that I don't think we fully understand the benefit, impact or failure. That's done, nothing we can do but move forward and support it. Tearing it down is not going to stop it.

Driver's schools work. I am living proof, and next year, there will be 4 of us on the weekend in the back of the pack, laughing and enjoying it, because I went to one school in one afternoon. That brought one back into classics, myself into 20ssh, my bro in C, and my son in J. At another club this summer I brought it up when they were complaining about numbers, and the response is "we don't have time to put the school on." Of course that club members had time to sit around on Friday afternoon and relax/work/socialize in the pits. Seriously?

Yes, I have literature in my trailer, and a rolling sign on the enclosed trailer. Do you know how many custom officials in Detroit when crossing the border to test are inquiring about the type of racing? I also have hats and shirts and soon to be jackets for my team. Do you know how many times sitting on a west bound plane, I have been asked what do I race based on my ball cap? (4 in the past week)

The answer is not sitting in front of our computer, complaining that things don't work and hoping that if I spend $5.00 more on my dues someone else will fix it. The answer is being proactive in our community and supporting local races and clubs. The answer is being available to talk to the guys at the gas station, the races, or the little league games.

We can not "pay" for someone else to do the work, we need to do the work ourselves!
      From my original post which started this thread:

"The message needs to be taken off the internet and into the streets"
      HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Originally posted by HRTV View Post
        From my original post which started this thread:

"The message needs to be taken off the internet and into the streets"
        The answer is all of the Above.

There is no such thing as bad Marketing only some just do not work

Comment

Driver's schools

I am an as-yet to get in a boat newbie to this game.
          My primary sources of info have been this website and a couple of active racers who live in my area (Florida, near Kennedy Space Center).
          These guys have offered to let me drive their own boats (one CSH, and one lay down 350 Pro) to see how I like them.
          While I appreciate these offers, I'm a bit uncomfortable with knowing that the boat that I flip by doing something I had no idea would be a problem is this guys first line RACE rig, so I really want to attend a school such as the one described by the MHRA on their website.
          I have tried twice to contact them via e-mail without reply to date. I haven't rung the phone number yet.
          I'm currently out of the US (work) until about 23 Nov.
          From a consumer's viewpoint, I can't see a better way to get started in the right direction than these schools. Being able to rent a race ready boat and try it FOR REAL the next day is icing on the cake!
          For me ,the only downside is the little over 1200 mile one-way drive up to my original home state to attend the class.
          Whether or not that presents an insurmountable obstacle has yet to be determined, but I think not.
          Also, the 8 month wait until the school bodes ill for this guy. I know myself, and if I have nothing more than "bench racing" for 8 months before getting wet, I'll get bored and go do something else.
          That said, how about some group in GA, NC or SC putting one of these schools together for us southland folks?
          We were on an RV vacation a couple of months back and had the privilege of watching the Rinker family smoke everyone in Class 2 and 3 tunnels at Aurora, Indiana.
          That got the juices flowing to the point that I can say that I am interested enough as a prospective new driver/boat owner that it's up to YOU guys to discourage me!
          Who wants to take the first shot? (Please keep the line straight!) :-)
          Bob Cowgill
          Mims, Florida
          Last edited by Bmwbob; 10-08-2011, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmwbob View Post
            I am an as-yet to get in a boat newbie to this game.
            My primary sources of info have been this website and a couple of active racers who live in my area (Florida, near Kennedy Space Center).
            These guys have offered to let me drive their own boats (one CSH, and one lay down 350 Pro) to see how I like them.
            While I appreciate these offers, I'm a bit uncomfortable with knowing that the boat that I flip by doing something I had no idea would be a problem is this guys first line RACE rig, so I really want to attend a school such as the one described by the MHRA on their website.
            I have tried twice to contact them via e-mail without reply to date. I haven't rung the phone number yet.
            I'm currently out of the US (work) until about 23 Nov.
            From a consumer's viewpoint, I can't see a better way to get started in the right direction than these schools. Being able to rent a race ready boat and try it FOR REAL the next day is icing on the cake!
            For me ,the only downside is the little over 1200 mile one-way drive up to my original home state to attend the class.
            Whether or not that presents an insurmountable obstacle has yet to be determined, but I think not.
            Also, the 8 month wait until the school bodes ill for this guy. I know myself, and if I have nothing more than "bench racing" for 8 months before getting wet, I'll get bored and go do something else.
            That said, how about some group in GA, NC or SC putting one of these schools together for us southland folks?
            We were on an RV vacation a couple of months back and had the privilege of watching the Rinker family smoke everyone in Class 2 and 3 tunnels at Aurora, Indiana.
            That got the juices flowing to the point that I can say that I am interested enough as a prospective new driver/boat owner that it's up to YOU guys to discourage me!
            Who wants to take the first shot? (Please keep the line straight!) :-)
            Bob Cowgill
            Mims, Florida
            Bob, take the offer of your friends! One on one info is great. Ask the CSH owner if they have a restrictor for the engine, might make you feel more comfortable. Or just listen to their instructions and go. The 350 owner might even have driver radios to instruct you as you drive. No one will lend out equipment without accepting the risk. The risk is low anyway. They likely have secondary motors for you to try also. And in the words of Charlie Fry "The throttle works both ways"

Just use your head and have fun! Go for it!
            Fralick Racing
            Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

wrong target dan

taking it to the streets is good. the youth however (no matter what demographic) is not the way to grow the sport. the J class works. great participation great motor platform and very successful. the kids however don't pay the bills or get it done. we need to target the working class adult with disposable income. those are the people who become (in a short time) race directors, turn judges, risk managers and the folks that make it happen. we need to target the guy who has a dirt bike or a 4-wheeler in his garage. the guy who likes nascar and F1. the guy who take his kids to monster jam. get him involved and keep him having fun and he will bring the J driver as a bonus.

for the record i think the crown program is pure genius... apba live... OMG.. that was big bang for the money. what a great way to introduce boat racing to the unaware public.
              Bill Dingman "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

It's not just a marketing program

Dan

We need to remember the social media end of Crown's program is just a fraction of the program. The program also entails other thing like complete replacement of existing outdated hardware and servers. Software that is design to work together reducing labor costs to APBA. It also entails recruiting a person to drive the advertising and promotion end of the program.

I have had the opportunity to talk to Richard at length and found him to be very open about the plan. If you haven't talked to him you should; otherwise how can you speak out against it when you can't possibly have all the facts.

Kris Shepard
                Last edited by Shep; 10-13-2011, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Bill and Kris, thanks for your replies.
                  HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Another way to look at it.

I have had the great fortune to be able to experience motorsports from the cockpit of many types of vehicles. I started in OPC tunnel boats in the early 80's. After USFORA and IOGP died I had an opportunity to try my hand at open wheel and closed wheel SCCA cars. Then Trans AM cars and the NASCAR BUSCH Grand National series. I closed my driving career out with a five year stint in the Rolex Road Racing series. My business today is interacting on a day to day basis with NASCAR and Indy Car race teams, team owners and sponsors. My experience is varied but in every series that I have raced or worked, water or land, I have seen the same threads;

1. If you think of yourself (driver, team or event) as backyard, then so will the public. - NASCAR was considered backyard until they realized that they had a product that people wanted to watch. They then cleaned up their act and presented themselves as professionals. It was the same group of owners and drivers at first, but when they took themselves seriously, so did others.

2. If you look at your sport as dying, then maybe you are contributing to the cause. - All sports have highs and lows. The difference between those that survive and those that disappear is in how we respond to the lows. Participation and how the public view us is a concern for every motorsport. We all know that today people have far more social and business commitments compared to past years. Kids have more distractions and are less attentive. But let’s stop just talking about the good old times and use that wealth of knowledge to promote not tear down the sport.

3. The Sanctioning body (APBA, SCCA, INDY CAR, NASCAR, etc.) will save the day (or take us down in flames trying). - I do not know if the APBA grand plan will work or not. I have my own opinions and maybe I would have done some things differently. But they are responsible for several categories of racing as varied as the regions they represent. We cannot rely on APBA to help us make our region (any region) successful. We need to look at our assets and determine what we can do to improve our product (yes product).

So what am I saying....very simple....

First - We need to look at ourselves as special. Think about it. What we do, Stock Outboard, Pro, Mod, Inboard, OPC, whatever the category, is unique. We are a very small percentage of the general public. Let’s use this to our advantage. Race car drivers are looked up to because they do something that other people dream about or internally are too scared to do. We need to foster this in the communities we live in and in the communities that we race in. We need to give people a reason to come see us and a reason to want to join us. We cannot expect APBA to do this. Only we can do this. We need to promote our champions like they are champions. Promote our youth like they are special and unique examples of what is good in our sport. We need to reward those that contribute and those that excel and let our local communities know about it.

Second - We need to clean up our act (sorry but this is specifically for SO, Mod, Pro). If we look like a bunch of guys running around in old t-shirts what type of people do you think will be interested in joining us? If we look like we are amateurs how many events sponsors are we going to attract? We have boats that have been built with the craftsmanship of a fine furniture maker and we bring them to events on trailers that have not had a new coat of paint since the 80's. And, some of the t-shirts we wear are about that old also.

I have had many meetings with owners of NASCAR Nationwide and Cup teams that say "why can't I get (or keep) a good sponsor", as they proceed to execute a "start and park" or put press releases out with statements that say how bad their financial condition is ("without sponsorship we will have to shut down our team"). Who wants to sponsor a team, or an event, or a sport that appears to be on its last legs? Every team not only represents itself but also our events and the sport in general. At the start of the year, buy some new pants, new t-shirts or golf shirts, if you can't afford to have team shirts, just go to Target and get some good new bright colored ones. Not everyone can afford a nice new trailer, but just about everyone can afford to put a coat of paint on it or maybe some graphics. I challenge everyone to look at what they have a see where they can improve. Most all of us have friends with businesses. If you cannot afford to pay for some of these upgrades don’t be afraid to go ask for some help (it’s often called sponsorship). Be prepared to do something to make it worth their effort and expense. It may be as simple as sending a photo to the local newspaper. If you don’t have these friends, go make some. Make friends with a local auto body company, printer and graphics company.

As for events - Why start out with the idea that an event is just a small regional event. Small for you could still be a big thing in a small community. Trade sponsorship for the printing of event posters. Encourage charitable organizations to participate, partner with the Red Cross and have a blood drive, the local school department or library to raise money for books (and make sure you are there with a camera to take credit for it). If you have room, have a carnival. If you can, provide activities for young and old, male and female. Make sure that your PA announcer has WRITTEN bio information on each driver. Make sure that it is updated. And remember, we don't care if the driver is a plumber or a lawyer, at a race he/she is a race boat driver. Use your imagination. And if it does not work great the first time, don't give up.

Does the local event community have an access community TV channel? Get them to cover the races. Then provide clips to other racers to take back to their home town. Don't expect the media to write great stories about you and your event. You write the story and provide it to the media. Make media board that can be set up in the paddock of each race site. Make sure it is accessible to everyone. Have regional or club standings for each class on it (and updated), list the regional schedule so people know where you will be racing. If the event is sponsored, have flyers or coupons from the sponsor for people to take, if drivers have sponsors let them post their names and flyers, encourage drivers and teams to do releases and team news, make sure the club has information on how new people can get involved, and how about letting people know if equipment is for sale. I can go on but I think you have an idea where I’m going with this. And the great part about all of this is that it’s free.

Why not steal some ideas from the big guys in motorsports? Like a two person hydro or runabout for a ride along program with local VIPs or sweepstakes winners. If you can, sell raffle tickets for a ride and donate the money to a local charity. This produces good will that will go a long way when you starting talking to that community about the next year. And, the boat does not need to go 60 mph for the rider to have the thrill of a lifetime. I guarantee the rider will feel like 45 mph is 100 mph.

Remember, if you think small, you will always succeed.

Create an event that will make people want to come back and in some cases want to join in. Make a marginal or dying event a good event again; make a good event a great event and a great event a fantastic event.

I have gone on long enough.

I would love to think that this sport could some day be as big as other motorsports on TV and in the media. But I doubt that will ever happen. But that does not mean that we do not have a place in the motorsports world. We do, but we have to earn it. We need to embrace our past and celebrate it, but always look to the future. When looking for a home in motorsports to start my twelve year old daughter I had no expectations that she would be signing a multi-million dollar contract to be a race driver. I wanted to find a place where she could learn sportsmanship, competition, integrity and have fun. We had many choices available to us, we chose boat racing.

Scott Deware
                    Region 1, SSOA

Comment

Scott

Thank you! You have just given everyone on here a blueprint for success!
                      It would be great if you would re post your word on APBA's social site.

Kris Shepard

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Deware View Post
                        I have had the great fortune to be able to experience motorsports from the cockpit of many types of vehicles. I started in OPC tunnel boats in the early 80's. After USFORA and IOGP died I had an opportunity to try my hand at open wheel and closed wheel SCCA cars. Then Trans AM cars and the NASCAR BUSCH Grand National series. I closed my driving career out with a five year stint in the Rolex Road Racing series. My business today is interacting on a day to day basis with NASCAR and Indy Car race teams, team owners and sponsors. My experience is varied but in every series that I have raced or worked, water or land, I have seen the same threads;

1. If you think of yourself (driver, team or event) as backyard, then so will the public. - NASCAR was considered backyard until they realized that they had a product that people wanted to watch. They then cleaned up their act and presented themselves as professionals. It was the same group of owners and drivers at first, but when they took themselves seriously, so did others.

2. If you look at your sport as dying, then maybe you are contributing to the cause. - All sports have highs and lows. The difference between those that survive and those that disappear is in how we respond to the lows. Participation and how the public view us is a concern for every motorsport. We all know that today people have far more social and business commitments compared to past years. Kids have more distractions and are less attentive. But let’s stop just talking about the good old times and use that wealth of knowledge to promote not tear down the sport.

3. The Sanctioning body (APBA, SCCA, INDY CAR, NASCAR, etc.) will save the day (or take us down in flames trying). - I do not know if the APBA grand plan will work or not. I have my own opinions and maybe I would have done some things differently. But they are responsible for several categories of racing as varied as the regions they represent. We cannot rely on APBA to help us make our region (any region) successful. We need to look at our assets and determine what we can do to improve our product (yes product).

First - We need to look at ourselves as special. Think about it. What we do, Stock Outboard, Pro, Mod, Inboard, OPC, whatever the category, is unique. We are a very small percentage of the general public. Let’s use this to our advantage. Race car drivers are looked up to because they do something that other people dream about or internally are too scared to do. We need to foster this in the communities we live in and in the communities that we race in. We need to give people a reason to come see us and a reason to want to join us. We cannot expect APBA to do this. Only we can do this. We need to promote our champions like they are champions. Promote our youth like they are special and unique examples of what is good in our sport. We need to reward those that contribute and those that excel and let our local communities know about it.

Second - We need to clean up our act (sorry but this is specifically for SO, Mod, Pro). If we look like a bunch of guys running around in old t-shirts what type of people do you think will be interested in joining us? If we look like we are amateurs how many events sponsors are we going to attract? We have boats that have been built with the craftsmanship of a fine furniture maker and we bring them to events on trailers that have not had a new coat of paint since the 80's. And, some of the t-shirts we wear are about that old also.

I have had many meetings with owners of NASCAR Nationwide and Cup teams that say "why can't I get (or keep) a good sponsor", as they proceed to execute a "start and park" or put press releases out with statements that say how bad their financial condition is ("without sponsorship we will have to shut down our team"). Who wants to sponsor a team, or an event, or a sport that appears to be on its last legs? Every team not only represents itself but also our events and the sport in general. At the start of the year, buy some new pants, new t-shirts or golf shirts, if you can't afford to have team shirts, just go to Target and get some good new bright colored ones. Not everyone can afford a nice new trailer, but just about everyone can afford to put a coat of paint on it or maybe some graphics. I challenge everyone to look at what they have a see where they can improve. Most all of us have friends with businesses. If you cannot afford to pay for some of these upgrades don’t be afraid to go ask for some help (it’s often called sponsorship). Be prepared to do something to make it worth their effort and expense. It may be as simple as sending a photo to the local newspaper. If you don’t have these friends, go make some. Make friends with a local auto body company, printer and graphics company.

As for events - Why start out with the idea that an event is just a small regional event. Small for you could still be a big thing in a small community. Trade sponsorship for the printing of event posters. Encourage charitable organizations to participate, partner with the Red Cross and have a blood drive, the local school department or library to raise money for books (and make sure you are there with a camera to take credit for it). If you have room, have a carnival. If you can, provide activities for young and old, male and female. Make sure that your PA announcer has WRITTEN bio information on each driver. Make sure that it is updated. And remember, we don't care if the driver is a plumber or a lawyer, at a race he/she is a race boat driver. Use your imagination. And if it does not work great the first time, don't give up.

Does the local event community have an access community TV channel? Get them to cover the races. Then provide clips to other racers to take back to their home town. Don't expect the media to write great stories about you and your event. You write the story and provide it to the media. Make media board that can be set up in the paddock of each race site. Make sure it is accessible to everyone. Have regional or club standings for each class on it (and updated), list the regional schedule so people know where you will be racing. If the event is sponsored, have flyers or coupons from the sponsor for people to take, if drivers have sponsors let them post their names and flyers, encourage drivers and teams to do releases and team news, make sure the club has information on how new people can get involved, and how about letting people know if equipment is for sale. I can go on but I think you have an idea where I’m going with this. And the great part about all of this is that it’s free.

Why not steal some ideas from the big guys in motorsports? Like a two person hydro or runabout for a ride along program with local VIPs or sweepstakes winners. If you can, sell raffle tickets for a ride and donate the money to a local charity. This produces good will that will go a long way when you starting talking to that community about the next year. And, the boat does not need to go 60 mph for the rider to have the thrill of a lifetime. I guarantee the rider will feel like 45 mph is 100 mph.

Create an event that will make people want to come back and in some cases want to join in. Make a marginal or dying event a good event again; make a good event a great event and a great event a fantastic event.

I would love to think that this sport could some day be as big as other motorsports on TV and in the media. But I doubt that will ever happen. But that does not mean that we do not have a place in the motorsports world. We do, but we have to earn it. We need to embrace our past and celebrate it, but always look to the future. When looking for a home in motorsports to start my twelve year old daughter I had no expectations that she would be signing a multi-million dollar contract to be a race driver. I wanted to find a place where she could learn sportsmanship, competition, integrity and have fun. We had many choices available to us, we chose boat racing.

Scott Deware
                        Region 1, SSOA
                        Very good Scott. We need people who think like you to help APBA..
                        The USTS realizes this and I do not know if you have ever been to a USTS race maybe you should..Some of your points is why the USTS is a stand alone series.
                        Boat racers have different motivations for doing what they do..But they have to realize that if they want a recognized sanctioning body, either they clean up there act or go Outlaw. The money to run a race cost more every day and if membership does not increase the $200.00 entry fee and $500.00 membership is just around the corner.

To some the party after the race is why they are there,nothing wrong with this We enjoy time spent with our friends from all across the nation also. There needs to bee a limit though as to are we here to race or party--well if it party ya can stay home and go to the local pub( I know some do this anywaylolo).

Don't know ya but region one is going to have a USTS race at Hartford next year and we do some good things there, would realy appreciate you being there and giving me some ideas on how to improve this race.

Pat Wright
                        Region 2 Pro Commissioner
                        Owner 500 runabout 500 700 1100 hydro
                        Drivers Jim Wright Brian Payne

Comment

Scott Deware
                          Region 1, SSOA
                          Scott remember this :-)
                          Attached Files
                          HTML Code:

Comment

Boy do I feel old!

I don't remember the place but I think that's me in the "X" boat. That was my Bunky SE boat with Rogerson cowls so that means I was about 18 years old. A few years ago in other words. I know the 407 is Mike Herrman but I cannot remember the last name of the other driver. I think is was Scott something (Cindy Slivey's brother?). And it's also great to see a pic of the SJ boat. Most people nowadays just look at you funny when you try to explain what we used to run (and without a safety capsule). Most of the pics I have are from the F1 and Champ years. If you have any other photos from those races I'd love to see them. Those were fun days.

Scott

Comment

I don't remember the place but I think that's me in the "X" boat. That was my Bunky SE boat with Rogerson cowls so that means I was about 18 years old. A few years ago in other words. I know the 407 is Mike Herrman but I cannot remember the last name of the other driver. I think is was Scott something (Cindy Slivey's brother?). And it's also great to see a pic of the SJ boat. Most people nowadays just look at you funny when you try to explain what we used to run (and without a safety capsule). Most of the pics I have are from the F1 and Champ years. If you have any other photos from those races I'd love to see them. Those were fun days.

Scott
                              You feel old, how do you think I feel ;-) that's me #17 pitted next to you at Denton Maryland. Honestly I don't remember the year, I might have just got out of high school. Give me a few days I might be able to dig up a few photos from the IOGP Jacksonville Florida race.
                              HTML Code:

Comment

I did not even notice that. But now I see the tunnel boat on the t-shirt. My was my old "Flying Scotsman" logo. And how about those white shorts? I'm guessing that photo is from about 1980 or 81. That makes me about sixteen or seventeen, but don't tell APBA because I lied about my age when I was under eighteen because my father would not sign my entry form! Anyway, Denton MD...the old Chop Tank River! Boy do I have stories....... Thanks for run down memory lane.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X