Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet preferences

What brand and model helmet do you wear, and why do you like it? Iím new and want the best for my noggin, so what do you use and why?

Re: Helmet preferences

I wear a Simpson Super Bandit. It is a comfortable helmet that provides one of the highest levels of protection, possibly the best. It looks great, it has a distinct look that you cant find with other helmets. Remember, a 10$ head is worth a 10$ helmet.. you get what you pay for, I sprung for the best money can buy.
    Shorewood and Brian10s like this.
    Ryan Brewster 57-S

Comment

When we started we were advised to go to a motorcycle shop and try on a few different manufacturers....and we quickly found some manufacturers had designs that fit the shape of the individual head more comfortably. They'll also help you ensure the fit is appropriate and not too loose. Sometimes 'comfortable' is actually one-size too large so you need to go down one size for the correct fit for safety. You want them fitting snugly and they will break-in as you wear them.

Check helmet construction - some of the more expensive helmets are reinforced kevlar and/or fiberglass shells while some of the less expensive models are ABS plastic. While I have never personally seen a helmet failure, I have seen ABS fail in other applications particularly at cooler temperatures... and Ryan's comment about pricing your noggin is absolutely right!

Check the safety certification... current APBA General Safety Rule 3.A (as of 3/8/2019):
      Helmets shall meet minimum rating specifications (SNELL 2010, SFI, FIA or newer) per list on document “APBA Driver Helmets Accepted for Competition and Vintage”. Document location: APBA Resources webpage.
      1) The upper fifty percent (50%) of the helmet must be a single color of the following: yellow or fluorescent (high visibility) yellow or lime green or orange or international orange or fluorescent red. Competitors may put writing or artwork in an area across the front to the helmet directly above the opening. This area is not to exceed 8” wide x 2” high.
      2) Half-shell and 3/4 type helmets are not allowed.
      Snell 2015 is the latest certification and I'd advise looking for this to ensure your helmet continues to be in compliance for several years. A list of Snell 2015 approved helmets is available at https://www.smf.org/certlist/std_M2015

Comment

• Dennis Crews
        Dennis Crews commented
        Editing a comment
        All very good information here. I bought two new helmets last year and after extensive research found that proper fit for your headshape is every bit as important as the helmet construction of which some combination of fiberglass/composite is preferred by most. For those reasons I chose Shoei for me and my wife.

ARAI-XD-4 120 degree side vision and flip shield. Comes in Neon Green. 2015 Snell Approved.
      jeff55v and Shorewood like this.

Comment

• Hydro doc
        Hydro doc commented
        Editing a comment
        Green sucks
    Working...
    X