New Boats--Let's see em

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 102

if you want you can run my 102..in csh...i will use in osy only if i get to go..

Dave 68R

Comment

• Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
      Heres some pics of a new boat I have been building. 36inch bottom, 50 inch sponsons, 73 inch afterplane, 2 inches lift, 1/2 inch twist. I hope to run boat at Bakersfield, and may be interested in selling. Dave
      Dave, Is the 1/2" twist due to the old and twisted boat builder?

Hope all is good on that side of the mountains.

Mike
      Sattler Racing R-15
      350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
      TEAM VRP
      The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

• Boat

Ha ha. Well...I am twisted way more then 1/2 inch, I can tell ya that for sure. Lemme think....things have been interesting over here. The "winter" started with a ton of snow in November, huge windstorn in December, and now its snowing so hard I cant see Lake Washington from my apartment, and its only 100 feet away. Makes me really excited to go someplace warm and race. Dave

Comment

• Sure glad you guys over there got the bad winter. It's been very mellow over here. I played 18 today.

Of course, that's an 18 pack of Coors Light while we watched it snow.

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
          Ha ha. Well...I am twisted way more then 1/2 inch, I can tell ya that for sure. Lemme think....things have been interesting over here. The "winter" started with a ton of snow in November, huge windstorn in December, and now its snowing so hard I cant see Lake Washington from my apartment, and its only 100 feet away. Makes me really excited to go someplace warm and race. Dave
          Sattler Racing R-15
          350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
          TEAM VRP
          The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

• new boat

great looking boat kevin..looking forward to seeing all you guys this summer...

Comment

• DaveDSH

What type of wood are you using for stringers ? Looks like walnut or something exotic !
              Dave Mason
              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

• New Boat

Actually, its Western Red Cedar. Sometimes when you put epoxy on it it takes a very dark tone to it. I used it for all the stringers and frames...its very very light and strong. I went thru about 20 boards looking for the nicest stuff I could find, especially for the stringers and frames inside the cockpit. Daveracer

Comment

• Dave A.,

Any problems with the Red Cedar splitting? Does it bend easily?

Also, what are your cockpit sides made up of?

BRB

Comment

• Here some new lumber

Built for Bill Atkinson.. Being evicted out of my garage sunday after i get the nose cone on it and seal it.... BMH Marc Johnson plans ..
                    Attached Files

Comment

• New boat

Red cedar is so easy to work with! I am suprised more boat builders are not using it. I found the spruce I was paying big bucks for was getting worse and worse quality wise....There were so many knots in it I ended up throwing away quite a bit. I have also found that cedar does not split any worse then spruce or any other wood....and it seems to bend pretty easily. The cockpit sides are a special 18 mil (I think) marine birch. I found it at Homebuilders in Seattle. I wanted to use it cause it is not only light, but has a nice color to it when the epoxy is applied. The rest of the boat is 3 and 6 mil Okume plywood. My best geuss is that boat will weigh around 100 lbs when ready for the water. Just curious..what are other boat builders using for wood and glueing systems? Dave racer

Comment

• boat wood . . .

For stringers I have used poplar, obece, some kind of strange mahogany, douglas fir, pine, and sitka spruce. The mahogany sucked, one of the softer specie of mahagony. Poplar is okay but hard to bend and has no advantage pricewise. Douglas fir is the strongest and heaviest and hardest to bend, good idea to reduce stringer size (cross section) with fir. Pine is fine, and cheap. Obece became my standard stringer wood, easy to shape and bend, glued well, and not outragiously expensive. Sitka spruce, light and strong, is hands down the best wood for stringers, but it is costly.

Never tried cedar but that seems like a good choice. Eastern white cedar also goes by the name juniper and many boats have been built with juniper. A few very large - like 40' or so - wood commercial fishing boats have been planked with juniper/cedar. Last fall I helped push a 20' ocean dory made with juniper off the Outer Banks beach. Shovers were my son-in-law, 15 year old grandaughter, and skinny me. No prob, juniper wood dory was very light.
                        carpetbagger

Comment

• I Wish

I Wish I Knew Where To Find Obeeche. I Have Been Using Select White Pine And It Works Very Well But Is Slightly Heavier Than Spruce. Any Body Know?

Comment

• Obeche

Originally posted by SAWYER View Post
                            I Wish I Knew Where To Find Obeeche. I Have Been Using Select White Pine And It Works Very Well But Is Slightly Heavier Than Spruce. Any Body Know?
                            I cannot remeber the name, but my supplier gets it from the company in White Plains, NY. I bought out the last of his inventory in Sept, but I am sure they have more by now.

Wear a mask when planing obeche, the stuff I have has been in the warhouse for about 5 years so it is very dry and it makes residue lots of it.

Regards,
                            Last edited by crankbearing; 01-12-2007, 06:53 AM.
                            Dave Scott
                            Aim Marine Inc.
                            613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
                            Ottawa, Canada
                            http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
                            DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

• Would That Be Harbor Sales?

Comment

• Originally posted by crankbearing View Post
                                I cannot remeber the name, but my supplier gets it from the company in White Plains, NY. I bought out the last of his inventory in Sept, but I am sure they have more by now.

Wear a mask when planing obeche, the stuff I have has been in the warhouse for about 5 years so it is very dry and it makes residue lots of it.

Regards,
                                Got that right - Obeche is sawdust waiting to happen when you plane and rip it or sand it. I got my Obeche from Foreign & Domestic Hardwoods located in Bowling Green Virginia.
                                carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                                X