Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KONIG identification

Hello
    I just wanted to share with you a nice vintage konig that I picked up last weekend. I've been in contact with Steve77t for some parts to rebuild the engine and it appears it may be a B stock gasoline engine from around 1957 but I'm not really sure.
    The serial number on this engine is RHD53614. I am very excited about running this little beast on the lake. Any info or stories on this engine would be greatly appreciated as I cannot find any information on the web.
    Cheers
    Paul
    Attached Files

Yes, that is a Konig B stocker from that era. They were legal in Canada, eh.

I have the late 50's Konig brochures that show this motor on BRF
    Last edited by sam; 08-10-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Gas burning Konig

I have one of those as well but mine has regular transom clamps. I will get the number off of it when I get back from Indian River. My son and I are all geared up for that right now. Hopefully this time tomorrow we will be testing from CampKurz.

Steve Roskowski

Comment

Hi Sam, Yes thats were I purchased the motor, Canada Eh ! The guy I purchased it from got it from a guy that lived on Manatoulin Island.

That would be cool Steve to know your ser. #s, I've seen many B stocks on the web but only one that has the bolt on transom clamp and twin carbs. I believe this is the one Sam is talking about on the BRF forum, but I see no specifications.

I have an original brochure from Konig but it shows this engine with only 1 carb, and has the bolt on transom clamp, The C stock engine also shown in this brochure has the clamp style transom clamps and also with a single carb.

Comment

There are more brochures on BRF, and the B is shown with 2 carbs like yours. The pic I saw of a single carb motor was next to the C and D specs.

Comment

Thanks Sam, Heres a couple of shots I have of the brochure. Not sure of what year they are as there is no indication of year on the brochure. I''ll check the BRF forum.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by paulhewg; 08-11-2011, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paulhewg View Post
              ...serial number on this engine is RHD53614...
              All of my Konigs that have decipherable serial numbers use a standard code, ie; alpha digits for the model, the 1st two numbers are the year,
              and the next digits are the serial number for that year.
              My 15" 'A' motor, 'HRA59247' was made in 1959, the 247th motor of that year. Similarly, my 'HD6101', a single carb deflector stocker like ours,
              was made in 1961.
              Your model also came in one and three cylinder models, all from the late 50s.
              Are you sure the 2nd number is not an '8' ?
              -as 1958 would make sense.
              I never understood why the APBA did not allow them, as the early deflectors would not keep pace with stock Mercs.
              Later 'loopers' were a different story.
              They were not really stock or 'service ' motors, as they were made by hand in small quantities.
              If you do go to Dunnville this weekend, look up John Webster in the pits.
              He will be the little old guy with the very fast Merc 'poppers'.
              He may know this motor, and may have raced against it.
              Brian Hendrick, #66 F
              "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

The APBA prohibition on Konigs was a blanket prohibition that kept early Anzani's out of Stock as well. It was a simplification of the monopoly: no foreign made motors.

I agree, I suspect there is misinterpretation of the serial number

A good close up might clear it up

Comment

An 1958 showing the 3 cylinder 30" C motor;
                  open exhaust, no stacks.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by bh/; 08-11-2011, 12:52 PM. Reason: pic
                  Brian Hendrick, #66 F

Comment

At one time way back I had a 2 cylinder "D" Konig but it was a "alky" engine that had two carbs. You need to check the bore on this engine to see exactly what you have. ...Bob N-96

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Rusnak View Post
                      ,,,,,,one time way back I had a 2 cylinder "D" Konig but it was a "alky" engine that had two carbs.......Bob N-96
                      Bob; -anything was possible with the alkys,
                      but there was a 2 cyl one carb FD,
                      and later a 2 carb 4 cyl VD, alky or stock.
                      Maybe you had a Chuck Simon FD special with an extra carb
                      Brian Hendrick, #66 F

Comment

Pic of a 1957 'HD' 20", 2 carb alky [Bob Dunlap's]
                        and a 'HRE' a 3 carb, 3 cyl C alky, on clamps.
                        This one was in the late John Porter collection in Odessa ON,
                        formerly raced by John Dertinger of Delhi.
                        Don't know where it went after Porters auction in 2003.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by bh/; 08-11-2011, 04:37 PM. Reason: sp
                        Brian Hendrick, #66 F

Comment

The 2 carb B in the 1958 flyer
                          Attached Files

Comment

It's simple!

Originally posted by bh/ View Post
                            Bob; -anything was possible with the alkys,
                            but there was a 2 cyl one carb FD,
                            and later a 2 carb 4 cyl VD, alky or stock.
                            Maybe you had a Chuck Simon FD special with an extra carb
                            The first types of these motors had two carbs and later they had one carb in center of case, Two carb models were deflectors and singles were loop. However, keeping with Konig thinking on motors, part interchange made possible for two carb motors to have retro fit loop cylinders installed. About clamps, again early types were clamp on, and later type were bolt on. Again with part interchange,clamps were up dated for the bolted cross bar.

Comment

Steve does refer to the gasoline stock motors as well or only the alky motors?

Comment

Working...
                              X