Wanted Buzz Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted Buzz Box

I have reason to believe that the buzz box my brother acquired and I intended on using on all 3 of our motors is not functional.
    Anybody have a good used spare unit they want to part with before I send my money to speedway?

Originally posted by Albert View Post
    I have reason to believe that the buzz box my brother acquired and I intended on using on all 3 of our motors is not functional.
    Anybody have a good used spare unit they want to part with before I send my money to speedway?
    Just wire up a flashlight and save your money.

Comment

Or an ohm meter.

Comment

I know this isn't the tech forum, but I'll ask. Right now regardless of if the points are open or closed the buzz box is buzzing. Also tried a second motor with the same result. I have tried moving the other clip from to different locations with the same result. It's as thought the points are continually grounded to the box.
        I will try getting readings tonight with a mulit-meter.
        Last edited by Albert; 05-19-2022, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I bought my inductive buzz and light box from aircraft spruce. Other places offer the same unit. Very accurate since inductive rather than ohms.

I have the single mag #16903 unit, when I bought it in 2009 it was about $49 It is easy to use and flawless and very accurate on points opening. I just clip the 2 alligator leads one to each side of the safety harness plug from the mag that is wired to each set of points on my Y80. More accurate than resistance devices, tried them, inductive device works way better.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...nchronizer.php
          "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• Albert
            Albert commented
            Editing a comment
            Pete,
            I have used that exact unit, and it did work well. Likely what I will get for myself but was hoping to make this one work that we have.
            Or get a good used unit from someone who has made the move to a cdi motor.

• ZUL8TR
            ZUL8TR commented
            Editing a comment
            Luc
            Wow surprised at your did not work well! Maybe the unit was damaged internally or something else? I have had great results with no issues on the Y80 since 2009 same batteries it came with.

• Albert
            Albert commented
            Editing a comment
            Pete,
            Sorry for the confusion. I meant I have used the same unit you have with good results.
            I was trying to use a Central tool company 273 which is also supposed to be a good unit (if a little old).

Belay this want ad, found if I take the wires off the points it works fine. May have a bad ground somewhere leading to issues.

Comment

Working...
          X