Advice on setting up an open trailer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on setting up an open trailer.

Seeking advice on setting up an open trailer for a hydro or two with engine & tool storage. Also, why is the box always in the back and not the front. It seems there would be better balance if it were box forward. Do boat trailers or utility trailers make better open rigs...?

I have a small 3 boat rig and a large enclosed set up , the open was built on a new boat trailer frame ordered with out bunks or winch post , It has a rear mounted clam shell box for 3 motors and a week end of stuff - the rear box is for easy access . The axle is mounted just in front of the box and it has about 200 # tongue weight and tows well up to 75 or so . Get the larger 13 inch or larger tires. tows better and much better ride . Check local trailer supply dealers for a new frame and axle - you will be ahead of the game rather than a old trailer that needs everything,

Comment

Buy mine and you won't be sorry. Plus you will save money ,time and headaches.

Comment

• Dave Cofone
        Dave Cofone commented
        Editing a comment
        Normally I would consider your trailer but in my case I already have a boat trailer that I want to convert to a double bunk hydro trailer........

Make your storage box with a removable floor. It makes getting engines and equipment out much easier. The box is in the back to makes everything closer to where you need it. As trailers are usually backed in to the pit area. Add a fire extinguisher to the trailer also.

Comment

• Dave Cofone
        Dave Cofone commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, you lost me with the removable floor. I am assuming it is easier to lift the engines off the hanger without throwing your back out....? But how does this help with other equipment...?

• M Miner
        M Miner commented
        Editing a comment
        If you can walk in it may be easier than crawling in.

• Ram4x4
        Ram4x4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Removable floor area allows you to stand right at the motor mount board...much easier to lift motors on and off the board rather than trying to bend over into the trailer and lifting it.
    Working...
    X