NBRA Series Race at Boomer Lake, Stillwater,Ok. Aug. 22-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBRA Series Race at Boomer Lake, Stillwater,Ok. Aug. 22-23

Great people, great weather expected, great site, Stillwater Designs & Audio and Stillwater's Convention Visitor's Bureau are the primary sponsors with $2000.00 prize money.....what else could a boat racer want?

We have an opportunity here to help grow our sport in the Texas / Oklahoma area. I will be coming up from Texas as well as Mark Daspit. We hope to bring a couple of Texas 'newbies' with us as well that are interested in getting into the sport so they can meet and greet some folks. I hear through the grapevine that Texas boat racing legend 'The Colonel' Jack Stotts is going to be there as well.

The college kids ( OSU ) are moving back to town this week and there is no football game this weekend so they will be looking for something to do. The lake is right in town so the noise should draw some interest. Let's get enough boats on the water to keep the spectators interseted because as we all know that is what the sponsor is looking for. Let's help to make this an anual event that the sponsor looks forward to each year. Momentum is growing for racing here and in Texas and this race is a big part of it.

If you can make this race please let us know. We would love to see you there. You might even go home with some $$$$$$ !

I will be there with one CSH ( Thanks to Jeff Ruth ! )
    Last edited by Dennis Crews; 08-18-2009, 06:05 AM.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

From Weather.com for Stillwater this weekend.

Fri Aug 21
    Sunny
    high 88°
    low 59°
    0% rain
    Wind from the North at 8mph
    Sat Aug 22
    Sunny
    high 87°
    low 62°
    0% rain
    Wind from the East at 7mph
    Sun Aug 23
    Mostly Sunny
    high 88°
    low 65°
    10% rain
    Wind from the East Southeast at 9mph
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress". -- John Adams

Comment

Rock Stars & others

Originally posted by Dennis Crews View Post

We have an opportunity here to help grow our sport in the Texas / Oklahoma area. I will be coming up from Texas as well as Mark Daspit. We hope to bring a couple of Texas 'newbies' with us as well that are interested in getting into the sport so they can meet and greet some folks. I hear through the grapevine that Texas boat racing legend 'The Colonel' Jack Stotts is going to be there as well.

A sure sign that Mr. Stotts has acheived "Rock Star Status", when a rumor of his attendance is used as a promotional tool.

However, to have my name mentioned in the same paragraph, does grave injustice to his reputation as a boat racing "Legend".

Comment

The Livin' Loud on Boomer part of the NBRA Series Challenge went super well. Great weather, good turnout of drivers from across the country, no injuries, only a couple of swimmers, prize money and lots of good time!

Thanks to all who came and participated. We'll do it again next year as long as we can hold onto our sponsors.

There's talk Mercury Marine may be moving a bunch of folks into Stillwater from Fon du Lac over the next couple of years, so there's a good chance we'll have a closer path to the MM marketing folks in the future and hope to convince them we have something to show the public with kneel down racing -- a sport their company once supported tremendously.

Thanks again, all who came, and for those who didn't you missed a good one. We even signed up some new drivers for NBRA with connections to Texas... headed south!!!

Dan
        O-49

Comment

Originally posted by dcrummett View Post

Thanks again, all who came, and for those who didn't you missed a good one. We even signed up some new drivers for NBRA with connections to Texas... headed south!!!

Dan
          O-49
          Yeap, it was muy bueno.

It was a sure-enough good time.

What a cool course layout.

Great lake, lots of grassy area, nice shade trees, great water, organization, and some really good racing-even had complimentary lunch for the drivers and their crew donated by one of the sponsors.

Obviously a lot of work went into this race, and as one of those Texans, I sure appreciated it.

You Oklahoma / NBRA guys are a good bunch. I'm begining to think all those stories we hear in Texas (about Oklahoma), may not be true.

There is a lot of talk about this being a sport on the decline... I know I'm a new guy, but...it sure didn't seem like it to me...

Comment

Yup, might as well give 'em some national coverage: Chick-fil-A of Stillwater's manager Merlin Phillips, donated 100 "HOT" sandwiches for the 11 a.m. drivers meeting for drivers and crew members Saturday... a gesture that was much appreciated and well-digested.

Dan
            O-49

Comment

I couldn't agree more with what has been said. I am one of the afore mentioned new Texas drivers and I had a blast.

A hearty thanks to Dan Crummett and everyone in NBRA and the OBRA for putting on this event. It was the first race ever for my wife to attend and now she understands a little better just how this 'disease' gets in you and stays there.

Comment

I don't think I've reached legend status yet but possibly screw up champion. I wanted Dan Parker to go to Stillwater and drive my boat but he was not able to make it. I sure would have loved to be there but "my driver" just couldn't make the show. Jack

Comment

Jack, we missed you... even heard a faint, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Jack Stotts has left the pit area" ... an eery PA system from the sky....

Seriously, you'd have enjoyed this one, my friend.

And, holler at me back channel sometime about some possible reffing duties.

Thanks, good to hear from you.

Dan
                  O-49

Comment

Glad to see Dennis involved

Dennis:

Really glad that you have taken the time and energy to get involved in the sport your whole family has enjoyed for many years, especially your Grandfather Andy. His boats were the ones to have if your ran "Super Stock" or "AM-PRO in the late 60's /early 70's. Many wins and Championships with boats he built. Especially glad to hear your wife came along. Some of the VERY best times that Eileen and I have had in our soon to be 36 years married happened at a boat race, both on and off the water, for both of us.

Tell your Dad both Eileen and I said Hello

Bill

P.S. How was the boat ride??

Comment

A BIG Thank you!!

I am also from Texas and although just "pit help" for right now, my son and I had a great time helping in the pit and once again enjoying the atmosphere of being at the races. It has been about four years since we have been to a race so this past weekend was a real treat.

I also want to send out a great big thank you to Jeff Ruth for letting me take his C stock hydro out for a few laps on Saturday- what a blast that was! Jeff also let my son Graeme on Sunday take out the same C stock hydro for his first EVER ride in a hydro. It was so exciting to see my son in a hydro and being able to share with him the things that I enjoy. We had a four hour drive back home and I think Graeme recounted that ride the whole way. Jeff, thanks a bunch for letting us have a ride in your boat, we really appreciated it. You know that if you ever need help pitting your boats just give me a holler.

I also wanted to thank everyone that helped put on this event it was a great weekend of racing. Thank you!
                      Gardner Miller
                      Lone Star Outboard Racing Association

"Water is for racing. Asphalt is for the parking lot."
                      Rember....Freedom isn't...."Free".......

Comment

Originally posted by mdaspit View Post
                        I'm begining to think all those stories we hear in Texas (about Oklahoma), may not be true.
                        The stories are true!

Just kidding. Some of the best boat races I've been to were in OK. I used to love to go to Stigler especially. If I never get to another boat race in OK I've already had more fun at boat races there than the law should allow. A lot of good people from OK involved with boat racing both past and present.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bill van steenwyk View Post
                          Dennis:

Really glad that you have taken the time and energy to get involved in the sport your whole family has enjoyed for many years, especially your Grandfather Andy. His boats were the ones to have if your ran "Super Stock" or "AM-PRO in the late 60's /early 70's. Many wins and Championships with boats he built.

P.S. How was the boat ride??
                          Thanks for the kind words Bill. My Mom, just tonight, brought to me one of Grandpa's trophies from the ODA that was given to him for development of the sport of boat racing. We then watched video of this wekends festivities, including my first ever race as a driver. I finished dead last in both heats but at least I finished. Then on Sunday my son Ryan raced in his first ever race. As we were wathcing the video tonight Mom kept saying over and over "I wonder what Daddy would have thought about seeing his grandson and great-grandson out there racing a boat..."

I now have even more special memories of our family in boat racing.

Comment

Welcome

Lets see, that makes a contigent of racers from TX. Welcome aboard. I am betting Gardner (propdoc) will find some sort of ride for next year.

Thanks to the boys for getting these folks in some boats. I know it meant a lot to them. The generosity of boat racers never ceases to amaze me.

So Dennis, and Gardner, get some pipes !!!
                            Dave Mason
                            Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Generosity of Boat Racers

I appreciate all the discussion here about the Texans getting into boats and lots of interest south of the Red River with Gardiner, Dennis Crews and Mark Daspit. But I was particularly taken with Mason's comment about the generosity of boat racers ... particularly in our "family"...

I have a new to me Merc 44 that I've had in the water twice... as Mr. Murphy would have it, it has a deformed reed in it and fire out of both stacks and the top carbureator indicate something is a little amiss...so I didn't run E-Hydro as I had planned.

I had offers for two different powerheads "just take it and run it" and I had a gaggle of folks wrenching with me under the street light offering parts and an "all nighter" to get it back on the water Sunday. I really didn't want to reassemble my pride and joy in the pits (rather do it in a little cleaner environment) so I left it down, but just the outpouring of support was a high for me!

Thanks everyone who pitched in to help put Wile E. Coyote back on the water... I appreciate all of you very very much.

Dan
                              O-49

Comment

Working...
                              X