No announcement yet.

The super "C" class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few more Super C drivers in the North East area.
    Bob DeCarlo
    Willy Kierjes
    Pete Voss
    Bob Hooghkirk
    Pat Wright

Comment

When the engine came out I was a wee little J driver and I dreamed of growing up and racing Giles and Nichols in one of these. Never got the chance though. Has there ever been a stock motor with a cooler sound than a Super C???? I can still hear them run. Thanks for the memories.
      http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

I heard there were only 150 of the Crescents imported and the point of weakness was the foot.

Bet Sam knows.....

BW
        302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Oh, those Crescents!

Originally posted by Jeff Brewster 59s View Post
          Has there ever been a stock motor with a cooler sound than a Super C???? I can still hear them run. Thanks for the memories.
          Funny you should mention that: The first time I heard a Tohatsu D, my comment was that it was eerily reminsicent of a Super C.

We were fortunate to have a bunch of them in the Northwest back in the day. A number of D Stock drivers up here went to Super C Hydro, and it was also appealing to new drivers getting in, because for at least a little while, the engine was readily available. Guys I remember running Super C Hydro in Region 10 included, in no particular order:

John Lasher (won the Nats in 78 at Saranac Lake)
          Dave Jaeger
          Kyle Williams
          Rick Sandstrom (last class he raced)
          Gary Brieland
          Gary Carlson
          Dennis Day

And just to keep things interesting, Reed Riddle from Utah would show up and run every now and then.

Not sure if I missed any. Jason and Tim Diamond ended up with Dennis Day's old rig, and it was around here until just a few years ago. I can't recall people blowing up lower units a lot, but that's not to say it might not have happened.

I find it interesting that some people have argued the viability of the D Stock class saying 'it's too expensive and most folks don't want to go that fast.' Back in the day, a Super C was arguably the most expensive stock class, way faster than a DSH, and at least in the places where it took hold, had no trouble attracting both seasoned veterans and rookie drivers. It makes one wonder what would have happened with the class had there not been a motor availability issue.

One last Crescent Trivia (as I skate treacherously into Ron Hill-esque Geekdom): When I was in college, I had a Crescent 10-speed bike. It was made in Sweden, had a Crescent logo on it just like the motor, and was even orange in color. I bought it at a Police Auction for $20. Had to have it!

R-19
          Last edited by sponsonhead; 09-11-2009, 02:45 PM.
          www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

i drove for dicky in 74 bought my oun rig in 75 tested hours and hours ran lots of races never once missed a heat maybe some of the other guys schould of done some testing

Comment

you forgot the 3 fastest in the country me johnie lale brad snow

Comment

Originally posted by B Walker View Post
                I heard there were only 150 of the Crescents imported and the point of weakness was the foot.

Bet Sam knows.....

BW
                The point of weakness was the ignition

Dick might know how many he brought in, 150 would be a good guess

Comment

how come i never had an ignition broblem in 3 years

Comment

i will correct my spelling john yale gary hilson jef hutchins were top notch ed lad john ike and when gary was absent shannon took over

Comment

Originally posted by 16JBilly View Post
                      how come i never had an ignition broblem in 3 years
                      Some people are luckier than others

I did not say they all broke, I said it was the weak point

Which of the 4 different ignitions did yours have?

Comment

Billy 16J - When did you learn how to turn on a computer????????

Comment

Respectfully, Correcting History

Originally posted by sam View Post
                          IN GERMANY as an 850cc OE class motor ... it was not raced in the US

Only a single prototype was released into the wild for testing, the motor was never produced in numbers, nor used as a cheater motor in Mod 50 by Merc team racers or privateers in the US.
                          Actually we did race it at St. Louis a couple of years, as it was legal in MOD 50 and the best bet Mercury had to beat the OMCs. However, one engine against a whole field of OMCs was difficult and we did not prevale. The first year it was a blow-over early on that ended our effort.

The engine was a loop-scavenged 3-holer based on a prototype that was being developed as a production (fishing) engine. When that project was cancelled, the racing cylinder block, etc, went south as well.

Michael Werner did finish second with it in the O-850 (OE or F-3) UIM Worlds the year it ran.

Thanks,
                          Fred
                          Fred Hauenstein

Comment

Billy
                            Don't know what years, but I'm sure Broom ran "Super C" for a bit?
                            Great seeing you at Lock Haven!

otto
                            "....that's one happy tub of beer"

Comment

just recently learned how to play on it yes broom ran with us im shore i forgot more guys

Comment

Crescent Motor

I have a Crescent motor in prestine racing condition in my collection. And yes, Dick O'Dea or Cash O'Dea, was the man who brought them in this country. Now contrary to what Sam says, and I'm a little bit older than Sam, but I worked on these early Saab cars that came in this country, they were a 2 cycle, 3 cyclinder vehicle with a 4-speed on the column. We could smoke the front tires right off the car. So, there may not be any documented history of that's were this Crescent Motor came from but it sure does look to me that it is the same thing. We certainly did have a lot of fun street racing those Saab's against American muscle cars and I always won. Shame, Americans were to stupid to put oil in the gas. That's my imput on this subject.

Mike DeLisa
                                8-J

Comment

Working...
                                X